Pagan cultural appropriation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan cultural appropriation

That was culturally insensitive,I believe that is known as a raspberry,a culture practice of the Raspberry Pi Peoples known for their "Prototype board art" as seen below.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

81a2dc0a59bf91dcfd9bd1d5fbbaaf69.jpg

And that's that.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Don't steal my culture....Wait,I am seven different types of Culture cause My ancestors got around a LOT!!(I gots Italian,Irish, English,French,and Dutch..My kids have German,and Russian,grand kids have Mexican Indian) So,I get to eat Pizza,drink like the Irish,eat crappy English food,enjoy French sauces, and smoke Dutch weed(is Amsterdam dutch?) also tacos and Vodka..and German chocolate cake too.(sorry,Netherland does not have Dutch I think) so dutch ...looked up Dutch food,and I guess it is Amsterdam...Light a big Bowl...and eats a lot of stuff.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

That dog festival is awesome! Oh, and Habbs, it wasn't just the Chinese men who wore their hair like that though. Indigenous americans, both north and south, as well as colonial and European men did it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            That dog festival is awesome! Oh, and Habbs, it wasn't just the Chinese men who wore their hair like that though. Indigenous americans, both north and south, as well as colonial and European men did it as well.
            I know, but I specified the Chinese for a reason. The hair style in their case has not so good historical associations (they were made to wear it to show they were like animals that had been tamed).
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'll never understand getting upset over a hairstyle, or a piece of clothing. Like that article I read a while ago that said it was offensive and wrong for white folks to have dreds or an afro, or to wear kimonos. Those are the people that need a dose of reality. It's hair. It's clothes. As long as the person isn't wearing say, a swastika, why does it matter?

Comment

Yeh Munin,have not a clue why people get so freaked out,I mean flip flops showed up in the 60's from Japan(were very common there kinda) Culture travels well mostly(French fries,not from France I think) Here in the US,we have pretty much a LOT of different cultures and a lot of our food comes from those cultures(everyone loves Chinese take out) and Pizza,brought here with the Italians..the list goes on..I am still wondering about parachute pants,look kinda like Harem pants.

Parachute pants.

Harem pants

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Munin-Hugin, what you said is so f*ckin' perfect!

Comment

I'll never understand getting upset over a hairstyle, or a piece of clothing. Like that article I read a while ago that said it was offensive and wrong for white folks to have dreds or an afro, or to wear kimonos. Those are the people that need a dose of reality. It's hair. It's clothes. As long as the person isn't wearing say, a swastika, why does it matter?
                    Munin, let me shake your hand. -shakes hand-
                    Many religious jews, many teachers from my school for example, forbid different hairstyles because "they're not jewish". There is a term in Hebrew for non jews. So they say that non jews have such hairstyles. It always makes me super angry.
                    Last edited by Gleb; 03 Dec 2015, 07:55.
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thanks guys I find it strange that folks get all bent out of shape when something gets "appropriated". EVERYTHING is appropriated these days. Christians stole the image of a torture device, Jews took a sparkling ball of gas, the United States ... well, stole everything. Greek ideas, British systems, Middle Eastern faiths (for those who claim the US is a christian country ... Um ... hello? Did we all forget that Jesus was a Jew?)

Comment

Thanks guys I find it strange that folks get all bent out of shape when something gets "appropriated". EVERYTHING is appropriated these days. Christians stole the image of a torture device, Jews took a sparkling ball of gas, the United States ... well, stole everything. Greek ideas, British systems, Middle Eastern faiths (for those who claim the US is a christian country ... Um ... hello? Did we all forget that Jesus was a Jew?)
                        I still say it is not the absorption of new ideas into your current religions because there is so much evidence of that in the past with pagan religions, It is when someone attempts to adopt the entire package and present themselves as an expert on the religion and begins to financially profit from selling the religions ideas as if you are a self proclaimed expert.

I adopted the Lakota view of Mitakuye Oyasin "all my relations" and have learned from some of the stories passed down in their culture especially with relation to Nature but I do not present myself as Lakota or spokes person for the Lakota. What I believe we are really doing is identifying things that we already believe in but find the presentation particularly helpful in expressing what we believe in. Thus we integrate it into our beliefs without adopting the entire system of belief which we are not so familiar with. That is my take on the matter.

Comment

Question. Other than Native American, what other religions are directly tied into their race exclusively?
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Question. Other than Native American, what other religions are directly tied into their race exclusively?
                            I should get TurningTides to post here, but she was telling me about one that is specifically tied to and worshiped by Filipinos (it may even be a specific subgroup? I will drag her here). I imagine there are quite a few that are tied into indigenous tribes in other countries, in places like Africa and Brazil where there are still some "uncivilized" people.
                            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Professor Sokyo Ono wrote that "Shinto is a racial religion" but then added that "people of all races cannot help but express gratitude to the spirits of the land and of nature, to their ancestors, to the benefactors of society" and that was "the spirit of Shinto".

Apart from the question of relationship with ancestors, I'm dubious about the concept of racial religions. Last year, in a discussion about this in a Hindu forum, I remarked how ancient Greek immigrants to India had worshiped the local gods, and one of the other members had said he'd naturally worship in Greek temples if transported back in a time machine.

I think the point about Native Americans is the general background situation: "They took our land and now they even want to take our religion!"

Also, the US in general does tend to think in racial terms. I'm currently reading a book by a woman from Louisiana who felt drawn to Vodun but was reluctant to practice it until she discovered a black ancestor. In contrast, Candomble has spread from Brazil to Argentina and from there to Spain, ignoring racial boundaries.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X