Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The symbol of the star in ancient Middle East.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The symbol of the star in ancient Middle East.

This year I will be writing a Christmas song for my cutch. I'd like to centre it around the Star.

I've read that the star was thought of as a soul awaiting rebirth and also that the Star of David was to represent the shape of David's shield. I may be able to draw some parallels between the shield and the Firstborn.

Do you know of any other symbolic meanings that the Star holds in Eastern/Middle Eastern religion?

I will and have of course been researching this online, but I love hearing from the community here as there is usually a response that I haven't yet encountered.

Re: The symbol of the star in ancient Middle East.

You might also consider the story of Artemis (Hekate) lampadephoros. It ties the idea of the crescent moon and star used on the Turkish flag and the Byzantine Empire to Artemis / Hekate. There is not a whole lot of historical references for it as it is mainly recorded in one archaic work. The story goes back to around 340 B.C.E. and how a bright light in the night showed the army of Phillip of Macedonia preparing to attack and warned the Byzantines and their Athenian allies. The crescent and star became fairly popular on greek coins and later roman coins.

I would add the original story seems to simply suggest a bright light that appears. Later stories seem to suggest the moon and a star or just the moon itself.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Contributing an interesting read on the subject.
      "The Star of the Magi" explores a new chronology of Jesus, based upon historical considerations of Nikos Kokkinos' that prove that John the Baptist died in 35 CE. Since Jesus' ministry is subsequent to that of John's, his own

Comment

You may also want to check out the idea of a comet that is associated with this coin http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greec...SNGCop_853.jpg The speculation is that the star represents a comet that was seen in the sky around the year 192 B.C.E. and was recorded in the constellation of Hercules which is believed to be represented by the Stag on the coin. It is an unusual design for coins from this area.

The coin is from Ionia, Magnesia ad Maeandrum which is on the coast of modern Turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          This year I will be writing a Christmas song for my cutch. I'd like to centre it around the Star.

I've read that the star was thought of as a soul awaiting rebirth and also that the Star of David was to represent the shape of David's shield. I may be able to draw some parallels between the shield and the Firstborn.

Do you know of any other symbolic meanings that the Star holds in Eastern/Middle Eastern religion?

I will and have of course been researching this online, but I love hearing from the community here as there is usually a response that I haven't yet encountered.
          If ever you need the music... I'm good for it!

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
          Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
          The farther you go, the less you know.
          Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

Hey Monsno, the link you provided wouldn't load for me, I'll try again later. Thanks Clemens for that article, I'll have a good read through. So far I've only found info regarding dates, so I'll keep reading to find info on symbolism. Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tiger Phoenix View Post
            If ever you need the music... I'm good for it!
            Thanks! I usually write my songs lyrics and words together, top to bottom. But if I get stuck, I'll get in touch!

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
              Hey Monsno, the link you provided wouldn't load for me, I'll try again later. Thanks Clemens for that article, I'll have a good read through. So far I've only found info regarding dates, so I'll keep reading to find info on symbolism. Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I usually write my songs lyrics and words together, top to bottom. But if I get stuck, I'll get in touch!
              Sorry wildwinds changed its setting. You now have to go to its home page and do a search to find the page.

Comment

Azvanna - The oldest symbol known to Mankind is the Star, Dingir. Search- Dingir wiki -. Which is God, Innanna or Ishtar. Like your name and the answer to that other thread about the female role, which happens to be the most important role... Kind of...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard A Madsen View Post
                  Azvanna - The oldest symbol known to Mankind is the Star, Dingir. Search- Dingir wiki -. Which is God, Innanna or Ishtar. Like your name and the answer to that other thread about the female role, which happens to be the most important role... Kind of...
                  Hey! Thanks for your reply Can you spell this out for me? I'm not really understanding the connection. I'm really interested though because I very recently decided on a different theme for my song: The mother.

The verses will be about the person Jesus will become and the experiences he will have. The ending will always be something like: But for now you're mine (mine = mother's). The chorus will be about the mother's relationship to the child.

Comment

Azvanna - Hey! Thanks for your reply Can you spell this out for me? I'm not really understanding the connection. I'm really interested though because I very recently decided on a different theme for my song: The mother.

The verses will be about the person Jesus will become and the experiences he will have. The ending will always be something like: But for now you're mine (mine = mother's). The chorus will be about the mother's relationship to the child.

Azvanna, I don't understand the second part and will try to answer Panentheistically as I understand it. The Mother Goddess goes way way back to cave humans. Then or possibly the same comes Tiamat to disrupt the order of the universe. Sort of like Mother Nature, wherein she can be bountiful or destroyer. Then it is Innanna and turns into Ishtar, which is the capricious whore/virgin, verdure (her husband was Tammuz)/ and she brought about SEVEN years of drought in the epic Gilgamesh, and warrior/peace loving. In Egypt it is Isis who brings back life from her dead husband Osiris (also a Verdure God)... It is also the 'age' of when the deluge happened, in the sign of the Virgin/Virgo, 13,000 years ago when the mammoth disappeared, ect. Hope that helps, but I may have confused you as to your song writing.

Back to the Star, it was considered God which corresponds with the Sky God and also there is the Star in the Mary and Jesus story...

Comment

Thanks for that. At the moment I'm reading On the Wings of Shekinah. The chapter I'm up to at the moment describes the divine feminine in a similar way to your idea of Mother Nature:
                      wherein she can be bountiful or destroyer.
                      I hear those sentiments echoed in the examples you give.

Originally posted by Bard A Madsen View Post

Back to the Star, it was considered God which corresponds with the Sky God and also there is the Star in the Mary and Jesus story...
                      I did see that in your link, thank you. I think I was trying to over-complicate your post when you were simply offering an interpretation of the symbol of the star. Thank you again!

Comment

Azvanna : Thanks for that. At the moment I'm reading On the Wings of Shekinah. The chapter I'm up to at the moment describes the divine feminine in a similar way to your idea of Mother Nature: I hear those sentiments echoed in the examples you give.

No, thank you, for the Shekinah word. "the text states that God dwells in the Temple above the cherubim" from the Jewish encyclopedia online.

The Cherubim is the Flying Bull from Babylonia and Solomon's Temple and above the Bull (Taurus) is the Pleiades! And that is where the first fire from heaven came from, also known as Seven Doves. I'm impartial to gender and from all the ancient texts that I have read, originally God was female. This is demonstrated in ancient depictions of a female torso with serpent tails just as Tiamat is a serpent. The Cherubim (bovine) is closely related to Seraphim (ophidian) as sky phenomena.

Comment

I've heard some people theorize that the star may have been a comet which is interesting.
                          A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
                            I've heard some people theorize that the star may have been a comet which is interesting.
                            Thanks Serria! If you're interested in delving into this further, the work that Callmeclemens shared in this thread expounds on that idea.

Comment

This will now have to be a project for next year! The church concert is this weekend and I still don't have a complete song and I've got a sore throat so I won't be able to sing this weekend. Maybe my pastor will consider letting me sing it on Christmas Day if I can finish it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X