Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Atheistic World

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

An Atheistic World

What if we lived a world without a god? What would life will be like if the whole world was atheistic?

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Re: An Atheistic World

If we lived in a world without a god we would make one. A thought form can be given all the power and properties of a god just by being accepted widely and having faith in it. The more people that recognize it the stronger it becomes. It would take on all the attributes given.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Well we do live in a world without a God or Gods. Yet it is a very theistic world.

So what if we lived in a world where the people were atheist? Well people wouldn't believe in ridiculous notions, be more accepting of scientific truths, be less cause for war, divide, and hate.

An atheistic world would be a far better world than what we have now.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

A perfect world requires perfect people. As long as we have people living in different places and in different ways there will be struggles for power and money and there will be wars.
    Religions don't cause wars, people do and they just use religion as a way to justify them.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What if we lived a world without a god? What would life will be like if the whole world was atheistic?
    You'd have a world with a bunch of atheists in it.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    A perfect world requires perfect people. As long as we have people living in different places and in different ways there will be struggles for power and money and there will be wars.
    Religions don't cause wars, people do and they just use religion as a way to justify them.
    I second this.

Btw, PaganMafia, many scientists believe in the existence of a higher power. Just saying.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

And those beliefs are generally ridiculous. We can say allnwe want that the wars would still happen if religion was null. And that's true. But we would have subverted so much pain, hate, anger, and death if religion had not existed. There is enough wonder in this universe without creating myths to explain what will eventually or what has been explained by science. It is anti-intellectualism at its greatest and that is a travesty among the many other travesties religion has created.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

Humans are driven to seek out the Gods... I don't think it's possible for the world to be without any divinity. Plus, I believe that life is to unlikely to occur without some kind of outside influence... For their to be a world (and universe), I believe there had to have been something to get it started.

The problem is that people feel the drive and seek their Gods without thought or personal reflection. They latch blindly on to paths without actually speaking to the Gods, believing them to be voiceless.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    You'd have a world with a bunch of atheists in it.
    pretty much this^ and this:

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    Religion is an EXCUSE not a REASON....which is a bit like the difference between correlation and causation.

Athiests are just as dumb as theists when it comes to the stupid things that people believe in. Atheists don't have the market on intelligence, or even reason and logic cornered when it comes to any topic in general, or the existence of "god" in particular. That would be confusing them with the people that truly have the only defendable intellectual, science-based position on whether or not "god" exists...and those people would be agnostics.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Humans need something to believe in when they reach an age where death is near..People can be afraid about death,and I think just the thought that something greater than themselves that "Might" allow them another view of the after life beyond ashes to ashes and dust to dust....Life can be frightening,and at times faith may get you through very bad stuff.(It does not really need to be true to be comforting)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html