Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Atheistic World

Lol. Wut?
    You think religion causes people to lose the capacity for critical thinking? Holy hell man. WE (everyone) are not the best at critical thinking. Ever wonder why people still do this day can't figure out that if you stick your weiner in a lady hole, a baby may pop out 9 months later? Ever wonder why we pick up a piece of food off the floor and count to 5 before we eat it? Ever wonder why we keep going back to the same person, even when they abuse us, thinking this time will be different? Ever wonder why we think it's perfectly ok to go out wearing white pants on your menstrual cycle? Why some men think yeah, if I cat call this chic on the street she will totally go out with me!

Critical thinking my ass. We are dum dums. Through and through. Take away religion and we are still that same dum dum. With just one less scape goat to blame for our lack of critical thinking.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
      Actually, it does matter. Religion by its very nature precludes critical thinking. It requires faith over reason. Feeling over substance. All is fine when you separate both from science, politics, and real issues but when it dictates policy, causes people to fly planes into buildings, create war, and is basis for prejudice there is a problem and it does matter.

Make the argument that things would be no different without religion-that war, death, and bad things would happen at the same rate but in actuality they wouldn't. Religion regards our progress. Try to get anyone but a Christian to win a presidential election. Try to find equal rights as a woman in Saudi Arabia. I wonder where the Catholic Churches death toll stands?

People will still be people and still have all their failings but let's not pretend religion has not had a profound negative affect on this.
      Then you didn't do enough research, TPM. The Pope of Vatican for instance, since you mentioned Christianity, has a Chemistry degree. How many religious Jews there are who won Nobel Prizes... There was a Muslim who won a Nobel Prize. My physics teacher has a second degree and is religious. He's an awesome person.
      Try reading more about the subject. Many pagans view both science and religion alike. I said it earlier in other threads and am saying it again - religion and christianity are two sides of the different coin.

Of course, religion much depends on the people believing in it. That's why we have terrorists all over the world. But like I mentioned earlier, religious people can be people of science as well.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

...and without religion, there would be no debate here over all of this, because there would be no internet, because there would be no computers, because there would be no electricity, because there would be no inquiry into magnetism, because there would be no alchemy, because there would be no magic, because there would be no interaction with spirits...

And we, as a species, having never tapped into the unseen world around us as a form of bonding beyond family and tribe, would still be nomadic tribesmen wandering the earth warring over who gets first dibs at the watering hole.

(I've been watching WAY too much "How we got to now")
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, religion does cause people to.lose their capacity for critical thinking. When faith causes you to reject facts that is a failure of critical thinking. But, I believe I also said that people would still be people with all their failings. I never said religion was the one cause of stupidity I said religion is a magnifier of this.

Religion held its purpose when we were nomadic tribesman wandering the Earth and couldn't figure out where lightning or earthquakes came from. Religion, was indeed the catalyst of civilization. But, then we also didn't know where lightning or earthquakes came from.

Comment

Religion held its purpose when we were nomadic tribesman wandering the Earth and couldn't figure out where lightning or earthquakes came from. Religion, was indeed the catalyst of civilization. But, then we also didn't know where lightning or earthquakes came from.

And religion still has purpose, else there would no longer be religion. You may not agree with that purpose, but that doesn't negate it.

If for no other reason that there are still places on earth that don't know where lightning and earthquakes and (rain and disease) come from.

And science has been responsible for plenty of stupidity.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Cause Science is the BOMB!!!!
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

literally, science is the bomb but it is also about many other things. Religion has a very specific place where it excels in adding to the comfort of mankind. When it is used to govern people it is less than Ideal.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

No need to be general. Far from all religions turn away from science.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Tis true,where would the internet be without science? where would your time go without TV...where would you be with no car,or plane?
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Science is a good thing. Just saying that religion and science are two views of the same thing.

Comment

If religion had never existed we would be in a very, very boring world.

No Pyramids, probably no Stone Circles, no meso-American ziggurats, no ancient legends like Beowulf, Epic of Gilgamesh, or fantastic architecture like Hindu temples and Traditional Christian cathedrals built to inspire people about the possibility of a world unseen.

No bonfire nights in England, no Christmas, Yule, Easter, no Classical art such as the Cistene chapel. No festivals of light in Asia, no holidays (holy days) we'd have no purpose to live beyond procreation. We would exist, but our mental capacity would be stunted for a lack of purpose, even if that purpose is imaginary.

Then, one has to ask, what is the difference between religion and ideology? The belief that a certain way of life can give us a better life. No industrial revolution, no great literature convincing us to challenge the scientific consensus (which we should, even if we believe it ourselves) because, well, why bother? It wouldn't make a difference.

Then there is the poor argument that religion precludes critical thinking. Muslims named hundreds of our stars and gave us algorithms and algebra, Hindus gave us our maths, Christians and deists gave us much of the understanding of physics that we have, Stone Age people around the world calculated the cycles of the moon.
                        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                        But that day you know I left my money
                        And I thought of you only
                        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Yes, religion does cause people to.lose their capacity for critical thinking. When faith causes you to reject facts that is a failure of critical thinking. But, I believe I also said that people would still be people with all their failings. I never said religion was the one cause of stupidity I said religion is a magnifier of this.

Says the man who hitchhiked the wrong way. Good going Mr Critical Thinker ::

Comment

A wizard never hitchikes the wrong way, Frodo Baggins. Nor does he hitchike the right way. He hitchikes precisely where he means to.

-totally legit LOTR quote

Comment

A wizard never hitchikes the wrong way, Frodo Baggins. Nor does he hitchike the right way. He hitchikes precisely where he means to.

-totally legit LOTR quote
                              Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                                You'd have a world with a bunch of atheists in it.
                                Pretty much this. I know some atheists who are great people and friends. There are good and bad people in every group. Theists (to be more general), atheists, black, white and any other group.

Comment

Working...
                                X