X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings Friends

Greetings

I am new to the Pagan world and have tons of questions. I haven't started practicing rituals or spells but do meditate and use tarot cards, I think with some success. I am afraid to try anything more; firstly because I have no idea who to pray to; I have looked at all the different pantheon and haven't been able to choose one, I was raised Catholic and it feels like a betrayal to that religion although I am not a practicing catholic, and believe that if there is a God there must also be a Goddess or that the creator has no sex at all, so I have been praying to the universe in general. Secondly, since I was a child I have been sensitive; I have seen, heard and felt things that have made me very uncomfortable and I really do not want to invite anything evil into my home; I have children and they need to come first. Have any of you struggled with these things? What do you suggest? How do I know who is guiding me through my mediations and tarot readings; I see pictures in my head when I ask questions but there is no deity or face or anything to go with it. Does that even make sense? Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

-D

Re: Greetings Friends

Howdy, Sunflowergirl, and welcome!

Advice? Don't worry. You'll be OK. The stuff you see in horror movies about "malevolent entities" riding into your life like banditos in a bad western novel is just that - the stuff you see in horror movies.

Unless you yourself are already ill nothing ill will bother you.

Best wishes!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Howdy, Sunflowergirl, and welcome!

Advice? Don't worry. You'll be OK. The stuff you see in horror movies about "malevolent entities" riding into your life like banditos in a bad western novel is just that - the stuff you see in horror movies.

Unless you yourself are already ill nothing ill will bother you.

Best wishes!

Thank you for responding and your advice! I really appreciate it

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Greetings and welcome ... You will find many here who run the gamut of beginning explorers like yourself to those like me (and a few other olde geezers) that started back in the 1960's and before ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Thank you all so much for your welcome and greetings

Comment

Newbie here, too.

As I was transitioning out of Christianity, I addressed my prayers to Source Consciousness which, to me, is the ultimate "God." I do believe there are all manner of deities and entities in between, each having their own purpose just as we do. With regard to those deities one prays to, I view them as focal points for us - that is, they focus us on our respective paths to ascention. As I progress in my beliefs, I note that my focus is naturally drawn to certain deities. Not solely because of their characteristics though - rather, the sense that certain ones are amenable to me and have a purpose or purposes for me. In a sense, I let them pick me - and knowing stems from signs that get put in front of you.

Hope that helps - and welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by sunflowergirl View Post
                Greetings

I am new to the Pagan world and have tons of questions. I haven't started practicing rituals or spells but do meditate and use tarot cards, I think with some success. I am afraid to try anything more; firstly because I have no idea who to pray to; I have looked at all the different pantheon and haven't been able to choose one, I was raised Catholic and it feels like a betrayal to that religion although I am not a practicing catholic, and believe that if there is a God there must also be a Goddess or that the creator has no sex at all, so I have been praying to the universe in general. Secondly, since I was a child I have been sensitive; I have seen, heard and felt things that have made me very uncomfortable and I really do not want to invite anything evil into my home; I have children and they need to come first. Have any of you struggled with these things? What do you suggest? How do I know who is guiding me through my mediations and tarot readings; I see pictures in my head when I ask questions but there is no deity or face or anything to go with it. Does that even make sense? Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

-D
                Welcome, sunflowergirl!

It's ok to be directionless when you start out. We all start with questions, and good for you reaching out! That's a big step. I hope we can help.

I too come from a Catholic background, I know how it's hard to completely let it go. Let me just say that if you imagine God as a male, and therefore believe there must be a Goddess, or else that the Creator is genderless, you might look into Wicca. Most Wiccans believe in a Goddess and God as well as Spirit, the guiding force of the universe. There is also a lot of structure and ritual to Wicca, and there are A LOT of resources out there. Far more than for us non-Wiccans, lol.

It's ok to not have a patron god or goddess. One may present him-or-herself to you one day, or maybe not. You don't NEED one. I like to see them as like patrons to an artist, or a counsellor. You go to the first for guidance or help. The important thing is to always be respectful: of them as people, as divinities, and of their culture.

Inviting evil things into your house, in my experience, is rare unless you're missing with stuff you oughtn't. I personally don't believe in 'evil' but some things are 'malevolent' which may seem like a technicality, but let me explain. Ghosts, for example, I hage encountered. Family, friends who have passed on, friends apparently from past lives, etc are fine. But I have also encountered manipulative and aggressive spirits who give me nightmares or feelings of unease when I'm awake. They're not daemons or whatever, but they are negative influences who can sneak in. The way to avoid this, I've found, is to ask my positively friendly spirits to stand guard, I ask my patrons and spirit guides to look out for me, I burn sage, light candles, set out stones, and cast protective spells.(Praying might feel more natural for you) But that's usually my precautions for when I'm dealing with spirits. Otherwise, I don't yse much protection for spells and potions and celebrating holidays, meditating, tarot, etc.

As far as meditation and tarot, I tend to believe that it's my subconscious mind guiding me, the voice I don't hear when my conscious mind is doing its thing. I believe that people are wiser and more psychic than they know they are. Trust that quiet voice. Unless someone is making and effort to contact you. My gods and spirit guides don't bother to be subtle when they're trying to get my attention. They send me obvious signals.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. I'm really friendly, I promise ;-)
                She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Thank you all so much for your advice and kindness! Your advice is great, and I agree that Wicca is probably the right path for me, the more I read about it the more I feel comfortable with it. I think this place is absolutely wonderful, its great to have people to ask about this, I don't know anybody who is taking this spiritual path! Thanks again!

-D

Comment

Good luck! And feel free to ask if you have any questions along your path :-)
                    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I think October basically covered it all, but again, this place is a great place to learn, so don't hesitate to ask for anything. =)
                      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

=sunflowergirl;199386]Greetings
                        Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find as a site we sort of run the breadth of experience.

I am new to the Pagan world and have tons of questions.
                        Can't speak for no one but myself but i'd advise ask away. May or may not get an answer or the answer you desire. Sometimes it might even take a few days to weeks before someone answers it or suddenly finds they have an answer to give.

I haven't started practicing rituals or spells but do meditate and use tarot cards, I think with some success.
                        I think you may find that rituals, ceremonies, etc are not required for everyone or everything. Some may have some ritual, ceremony, etc every day others may only have them every few years its all up to your pathwalk and what calls you.

I am afraid to try anything more; firstly because I have no idea who to pray to; I have looked at all the different pantheon and haven't been able to choose one, I was raised Catholic and it feels like a betrayal to that religion although I am not a practicing catholic, and believe that if there is a God there must also be a Goddess or that the creator has no sex at all, so I have been praying to the universe in general.
                        I think you'll find that is pretty much human nature. Unless you were raised within a occultist or pagan family it's a stage that all people go through. The degree of anguish, shame, anger, hatred, etc you feel inflicted upon yourself by yourself will vary. Even coming to terms with how the universe, deity, spirit, etc is structured and your place within it will also constantly change in the beginning. Heck probably will go through many changes and re-constructions as you advance along and new concepts, questions, etc arise before you.

Secondly, since I was a child I have been sensitive; I have seen, heard and felt things that have made me very uncomfortable and I really do not want to invite anything evil into my home; I have children and they need to come first. Have any of you struggled with these things? What do you suggest? How do I know who is guiding me through my mediations and tarot readings; I see pictures in my head when I ask questions but there is no deity or face or anything to go with it. Does that even make sense? Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
                        Being sensitive takes many forms. For some sensitive is being connected to the spiritual side of things. For some being sensitive is being connected to the darker vibrations associated with death, decay, etc. For some being sensitive is being aware of and connected to their higher self. For many I find that being sensitive falls into that last category, being connected to their higher self. That aspect that for most is sort of played down and discouraged but I find falls into the "Feeling" category. That sense of something wrong that makes the hairs on your neck stand up. That feeling of being hyper aware of things around you and being aware of them being aware of you.

For a lot of people I know the whole idea of tarot, ouija, journey, etc is connecting to that higher self and learning it's symbology and language. In some older practices from the 70's and 80's it used to be taught that it was the interface between us as individuals and our higher or super selves that connected to the one mind type thing. What some called the Akashic records in some capacity or the repository of all our lives recorded in one place. Though sometimes I heard arguments that it was also the source for the law of probability in that any question we ask has some many probabilities and by accessing it we, through some controller, were given the most probable results for our questions. Of course since it is a probability there are no hard and firm answers only clues as to what should happen and events / incidents that will be used to trigger the results and cause the probable to manifest as factual.

Regarding your children, that in my opinion, it depends upon what your particular pathwalk shall be. Some will have little to no affect / effect upon your children or their lives. Others, may have a considerable influence and affect / effect upon them. In part due to how it affects / effects you will in turn influence how you convey and reveal it to your children. If you show them then by default you are opening them up to its influence and can not change it. If you hide it from them there is the potential it harms them because of how it will change you. Consider you stop going to church, they no longer go or never start because you stopped. They are therefor affected by your change, whether they like it or not. Depending upon what you invite into your life may find them easier to connect to and since you opened your door it opens up to your children. Though I wouldn't take the notion or position that there are bad or evil things running around out there trying to get you to let them in. That is not to say that there are not things that are not human nor ever where human that might not act normal for them but seem to be disruptive or bad to you.

But I personally think it takes a fairly bright light into the darkness to attract things to it. On average just starting out I seldom see anyone who can project that type of light across the various dimensions much less upon the physical plain we live upon. While it is possible I think highly unlikely it would happen. Well unlikely unless you simply throw open your doors and scream out loud that anything and everything can come into your home or presence. Inversely I find that unless you start making bold charges that you can defeat or defend against anything most things will ignore you and sort of consider you simply as a loud mouth human. But if you walk down a street and challenge everyone someone will accept your challenge and fight, the same applies in this as well in my experience.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

welcome. and I see you have a few questions answered.
                          Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Evil is - to some extent an Abrahemic concept in my opinion - Malevolence is far more common amongst what I have encountered ... and I have had to purge a few places , including one of my former residences. An 'evil' act is often about which side of the act you were on. Most people can agree on both Malevolence of action and Desperation of action - both of which in my view are far more common (not that this excuses them. For example I have nothing but scorn for terrorists who target purely or majority civilian targets - they are moral and physical cowards who refuse to use irregular tactics against military or even police targets because they have no true strength of belief or courage). That being said there are some rituals that other might be able to teach better than I on the purification of objects and areas - ask around - I''m sure you'll be able to find some advice. I'm too short on my path (Norse Pagan BTW) to feel confident in helping or advising you

Comment

Greetings and welcome.

I hope you find that which it is you seek at this portal.

I look forward to sharing future posts with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X