Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selective Service registration and women....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selective Service registration and women....

As the U.S. Armed forces open the last few military specialties to women one debate that is starting to show again is the requirement to have all women register for Selective Service at the age of 18. Men have been required to do so for a number of years now.

One driving factor is if were going to have true equality then what is good for the men then should be good for the women regarding registration. At the moment women are not required to register at all. In that capacity they are not tracked nor mandated to provide tracking data on their where about's and movements. Men are by law mandated to notify the selective service board of any change of address, marital status, etc within a certain window.

Another factor coming into discussion is the need for a selective service registration. The U.S. has not used a "Draft" since the Vietnam War so some believe that it should be done away with all together. Citing the All Volunteer military we've had since shortly after the Vietnam Era and the ability of the military to fill its ranks with enlisted and officer personal.

So, Should Women be required to register for the Selective Service upon reaching the age of 18 as all males are required?
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Re: Selective Service registration and women....

Well, it should be done away with totally. No one has the right to compel anyone into any sort of "service". Men or women.

Comment

Yes, to put it bluntly.
      In state and society, the citizens have certain duties and obligations to the state, and vice versa. It is a part of the rights of the state to require such things from its citizendry. Part of that is that the people should be actively trained and prepared to be mobilised to defend the nation should a situation come around which warrants that such actions be taken.

I think that national service in the military should be mandatory for all citizens (male and female) for a year, at the age of 19, or when they complete their required education, or whichever is sooner. Outside of the economic and social benefits that such conscription provides to the people, it is also important that the people are trained to understand the ways of war, so they might defend the integrity of the state if a situation comes around which warrants them to exercise it.

Comment

There is the concept that serving in the military is in a way,your qualifying to become a citizen even when you are born here.. I might consider some one that did not serve(Unless disqualified) not be a full citizen. PM,I believe you got to choose to go in,before that was NOT the case when I hit that golden age of 18...I joined because then I could choose where I was to be.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I have no opinion. I do want to congratulate women on getting to the point where can be killed in some dumb war like a man, though.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If you are willing to become fodder,more power too you
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Personally I think if your screaming for equality then you have to take the good with bad. In this instance the bad being registering for selective service with the knowledge that you might be called up for active duty should the need arise. Men have only two choices, do it and take their chance or flee and potentially go to jail or unable to return to the U.S.. To me that should be the same options every woman is given upon reaching the age of 18.

One can never say if it will ever come to that again but with the draw down of our military to a level that is near or lower than pre WWII and world events it doesn't bode well that it would not.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                I think that national service in the military should be mandatory for all citizens ... so they might defend the integrity of the state if a situation comes around which warrants them to exercise it.
                Right, because America really needs more soldiers and military spending. Just in case the million plus active soldiers and its over seven hundred billion dollar budget is somehow insufficient.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  Right, because America really needs more soldiers and military spending. Just in case the million plus active soldiers and its over seven hundred billion dollar budget is somehow insufficient.
                  Registering for the Selective Service program does not mean you will be drafted or become a soldier. Yet men have no option in it, its against the law and punishable beneath the law if you fail to do so within so many days of your 18th birthday.

Comment

Yeah, with the current defense budget and just the sheer amount of troops we have. Compulsory military service is an outdated practice and one that should be buried. Who is anyone to tell me that I or anyone should don a uniform and fight a war?

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Registering for the Selective Service program does not mean you will be drafted or become a soldier. Yet men have no option in it, its against the law and punishable beneath the law if you fail to do so within so many days of your 18th birthday.
                      Denarius was responding to a different concept than Selective Service. Lunar is in favor of universal conscription for a given period of time and that's what Denarius challenged.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        Yeah, with the current defense budget and just the sheer amount of troops we have. Compulsory military service is an outdated practice and one that should be buried. Who is anyone to tell me that I or anyone should don a uniform and fight a war?
                        Because you live under the state. And like laws passed by the state, you therefore have rights and obligations to the state that you must follow. In some aspects you have to accept that you are not in charge of the decisions you have in life, and duties that must be rendered to the state are among them.

In addition, national service does more than simply train the citizenry to defend the nation, but also gives them a good amount of skills and additional education they can apply in the workforce, which can be a boon for individuals looking to enter the workforce immediately after they have fulfilled their duty rather than go into university. It also promotes physical health and a sense of duty, and prepares the people for the inevitability of war, among many other beneficial qualities.

As for the number of soldiers, or military spending, cool...not all of us live in the US of A though. In other news, in terms of United States Military spending, private contractors and non-government entities, which have taken over many of the roles in the military cost a lot more than if the Army were to handle them themselves. Reduction or elimination in the use of private contractors, and reduction of foreign military presence, would more than likely free up more than enough money.

If Finland can have conscription, and a well-trained and armed military, while still ensuring a good quality of life and standard of government services, with less than half the costs on defence as the United States, in relation to their GDP, there are few reasons why the United States would be incapable of doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                          So, Should Women be required to register for the Selective Service upon reaching the age of 18 as all males are required?
                          Yes. I think they should

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            There is the concept that serving in the military is in a way,your qualifying to become a citizen even when you are born here.. I might consider some one that did not serve(Unless disqualified) not be a full citizen. PM,I believe you got to choose to go in,before that was NOT the case when I hit that golden age of 18...I joined because then I could choose where I was to be.
                            I turned 18 the year after the draft ended, following the Viet Nam War. I'll be honest with you, not many people were willing to enlist after that war, and I certainly did not.

I would not be adverse to the idea of some form of national service being tied to citizenship, but it should not be exclusively military. That would say that only those who have been trained to fight are REAL Americans. There need to be other options - not everybody should be military.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Obligations to the State? Sounds fairly totalatian. No, I have no obligation to fight a war for anybody and while Selective Service is something I never had to register for, if I was drafted my ass would be in Canada in a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X