Race and sexual attraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race and sexual attraction

So I totally snagged this question for question from another forum. Meh.

1. Why are there (often strong) racial preferences people have when selecting a sexual partner?

2. Are these preferences cultural, genetic, or some combination thereof?

3. Are these preferences indicative of subconscious racial biases, or are they just natural preferences like any other sexual kink?

4. What are your preferences, if any?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Race and sexual attraction

1. curiosity .................. 2.combination .................... 3.possibly ... in some cases dominance of one race over another ............................ 4.breathing ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

1. Why are there (often strong) racial preferences people have when selecting a sexual partner?

3. Are these preferences indicative of subconscious racial biases, or are they just natural preferences like any other sexual kink?

1. Probably something built in our mind..
      2. I say they're biological.
      3. Good question. Since most people are aware of their racial preferences, I think it's natural preferences.
      4. I don't mind a black partner.. Or a partner of any other skin colour. But when it comes to cultural preferences, I think I'm more attracted to American (US) chicks.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

1. People have preferences; they know what they like. I guess it makes sense that they would tend to pick the same physical type again and again.

2. Combination of both cultural and genetic, I would guess.

I think I vaguely remembering reading somewhere once that odor actually plays a part in how we select potential mates that are a good genetic match... so I guess genetics probably plays a strong part and external environment must influence mate selection too, so I guess cultural also plays a part in that way.

3. It's hard to escape biases, but I think for the most part in our more progressive times, it's mostly natural preferences like any other sexual kink.

4. Oh.... Accents are hot, but not essential. As long as the guy is either the same height or taller than me, I'm open to the possibilities

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
          1. Probably something built in our mind..
          2. I say they're biological.
          3. Good question. Since most people are aware of their racial preferences, I think it's natural preferences.
          4. I don't mind a black partner.. Or a partner of any other skin colour. But when it comes to cultural preferences, I think I'm more attracted to American (US) chicks.
          *Addition to #4 - tall girls.

- - - Updated - - -

But not taller than me, because then it's scary.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I think it is in part societal exposure. Dependent on upbringing in some cases.

I do no't believe some of it is genetics. Though I think if you grew up around a certain type of people those would be the ones you would gravitate towards for a life partner or someone similar.

Again I think it comes back to upbringing and the people you are exposed to growing up. Example if you are of a particular race and culture and grow up say in an area predominantly that then yes you may have it as a preference. Or quite the opposite you could have been the only black, white, asian, middle eastern etc kid in the schools you grew up so you that could also have baring on that maybe you only prefer someone of a difference race or culture. Much of it could be natural but I think exposure to certain types of people have a lot to do with it as you grow up.

I have no preference on race or culture. I grew up very accepting of anyone I came in contact with, I care for the individual. As long as your human and I am attracted to you chances are 50/50 I'd be up for a date or friendship. I have no sexual preference male or female, I've dated both and many of a different race or culture than my own.

Comment

I am starting to think our pheromones rule way more than we know in the realm of attraction. My guess is we are probably attracted to whomever we would make the healthiest babies with, and that depends on one's own genetic heritage.

Well there's definitely a cultural component too, but I think chemistry is much more significant.

Well a natural preference can also be a subconscious bias can't it? Something you prefer without conscious realization of why you prefer it?

Not based on race, but on employment status :P Full-time, making equal to, or more than I make.

Comment

Statistically our preference for life partners comes from our parents. Sexual partners are a mental/chemical/hormonal triggered response that can be as subtle or outrageous as anything else in our lives.
                Availability certainly plays a role but so does our ever morphing understanding of beauty or attractiveness.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I think that really, it's a matter of the "nurture" part of a culture. For the most part, people are drawn to the things that are the most like them, and therefore tend to stick to their own "race". When you look at someone and assess their attractiveness, there are certain things that you unconsciously look for. A certain facial shape, body type, skin tone, hair color, etc. Many of these factors have been determined by the society in which you live, either by going with what is similar or going with what is drastically different. If your culture is comprised of mainly larger bodied individuals, you would most likely be attracted to that type. Then there are those people who go for those who are different, "bucking the system" so to speak, and tend to be in the minority.

See above. These first two questions are pretty much asking the same thing.

Again, see above.

Personally, my tastes run wide and varied. I suppose if I had to state a "type", I would have to say that I prefer women (as I am straight) who are a larger than the generally accepted "norm". In fact, my wife likes to tease me when she catches me watching her getting ready, calling me a "chubby chaser".
                  "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

In my own family, there is a strong bias towards partners who look very like us. My brothers all have/had wives who looked a lot like them and mr P and I definitely look like we came from the same ancient tribe. It wasn't a deliberate choice - it just seemed to happen that way? Or did it? I don't know.

But... one of my daughters was, from a very young age, fascinated by India. She even - long before she knew what it meant - called her father Bapu (Hindi for father) unlike the rest of her brothers and sisters. And when she married... you've guessed, her husband came from India.

I don't know the answers. All I have are even more questions!
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It is said that men pick women who represent those factors that are favorable about their mothers. If mom was a monster then they pick women who look like mom but have opposite (sometimes the same) bad attributes. women choose men like their fathers or if dad was a monster resemble their fathers. I doubt the veracity of those old tales but I do, at the same time, see evidence in some choices that seem to fit that pattern. There are, of course, many variables and many attributes to choose. Choosing a member of a different race might seem to disprove those sayings but when you compare figures, mentality, moods and all the other variables you might find a correlation. It is always easiest to make a broad claim that has found a level of acceptance.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

There could be a genetic factor but as I am no geneticist nor follow the science, I don't know of it. Cultural is probably quite likely but the variety of interests, as far as I'm concerned, goes beyond current scientific knowledge.

Personally, I don't find black girls attractive. I've nothing against them, and as I don't believe in 'race' I take no issue in 'interracial' partnerships. Some Asian ethnic groups are beautiful, Persian and Japanese particularly, but I like a British girl (I'm married to one after all) as I think we are more likely to match on psyche and outlook. I could never live permanently outside of Britain and I think the bond has something to do with my preference.
                        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                        But that day you know I left my money
                        And I thought of you only
                        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I can only speak personally, the rest would be purely speculation. With that disclaimer:

1 & 2: I think it's all of the above. I think everyone has a different mental makeup, different triggers and experiences, different upbringings and cultures and situations that shape this. Not to mention, diversity is the key to healthy genetics over time and a lot of people love the unknown, the exotic, and the different. My husband always said he wasn't into girls from his own country, and he always wanted a blond American (and never thought he would get one). But the personal preference was there and in that scenario it was definitely a lot of factors at work (cultural - this part of the world is pretty racist, he likes blonds, he likes the English language, etc...).

3. I'm going to say both, in varying degrees depending on the individual and the circumstance. Some friends of mine will date people of different races, cultures, etc.. without thinking twice about it and don't limit themselves to one or a few. Some date strictly "white boys," etc... because it's how they were raised. Some date strictly boys of color (doesn't matter which) in a form of paternal rebellion.

4. I just like them bigger (muscle mass with a little padding) and with black hair. I've always had a thing for accents and different cultures, but if I was in love it wouldn't matter if it was some okie from oskokie. I've never limited myself to a race. Honestly it doesn't matter to me as much as the personality, behaviors, kindness, aspirations, connection, etc... does.

Though I'm pretty sure my ultimate dream guy would be a tall, protective elf. Just saying. >.> That might cross a few racial borders.

Comment

Humans have a natural desire for their children to carry on their identity, it's only natural to want a somewhat similar looking partner.
                            White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                            sigpic
                            In Days of yore,
                            From Britain's shore
                            Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                            And planted firm Britannia's flag
                            On Canada's fair domain.
                            Here may it wave,
                            Our boast, our pride
                            And joined in love together,
                            The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Hubby and I supposedly favor one another...

I dunno, I think there are too many factors to consider here. I've dated a variety people, when it comes to ethnicity...only once has the relationship "not worked" because of race, and that wasn't because of us, but because of his family (and his attachment to his family and my respect for him as a person) I've always been pickiest about 2 things--sense of humor and not short. Sorry short dudes, I like 'em at least 5-6 inches taller than I am.
                              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X