X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Reintroduction of a Briton

Hi all,

I was here before when I didn't know what I was looking for. I wasn't around much or for very long, so you can probably mostly disregard the posts that will have been changed from my old username to this one prior to this post.

As you can guess, I am British. Proudly so, but not from a political perspective, I just love the islands generally. I am solely interested in the beliefs and rituals of Britons spanning the late Palaeolithic through the Bronze Age and early Iron Age up to the arrival of Celtic theism. I believe that, before this point, Britons were chiefly animistic, due to the lack of finds depicting any figures that I am aware of. I am green on this road so make no bold claims other than... nah, let's just stick to no bold claims

I am a first year forestry student, a course and subject I love, because I love trees and woodland, things I believe are part of the British identity. If anyone else is interested in the beliefs I mentioned please contact, I don't know of anyone who is. I am not interested in neo-Druidry, largely as it falls out of the era I am interested in.

For the record, yes I'm aware that the time span I'm interested in covers around forty thousand years and it will not be in any sense the same.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Re: A Reintroduction of a Briton

That 40000 years will likely show some evolution in the practices of the natives as well as some incursions from outside. It is difficult to find much in the way of myths and practices of a prehistoric (before a written language) society. I wish you well on your journey.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Hi!
      Welcome (again?) to the forum :^^:

Comment

Welcome back to the forum!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Thanks all.

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
          That 40000 years will likely show some evolution in the practices of the natives as well as some incursions from outside. It is difficult to find much in the way of myths and practices of a prehistoric (before a written language) society. I wish you well on your journey.
          No doubt, and I don't see it as a deterrent. Obviously, as you say, very little can be directly extrapolated due to lack of written records, but as a believer in the presence of ancestors, I am hoping the combination of offerings and archaeological record will help me learn. The archaeological record is important to temper any "fantasy" or imagination I may have. If arch finds contradict clearly what I think I am being told (they never [a certain practice], but there is nationwide evidence of it happening) I will put it down to really just being my imagination and err with caution. There is likely to be a progression of rituals, but that doesn't necessarily mean the older ones are no longer valid. For example, Stonehenge more or less fell out of use after the arrival of the Beaker culture, does that mean Stonehenge is completely without "genius loci" now, or did the Beaker people introduce something else that worked? If the Amesbury Archer's "folk" brought a load of old nothing, then the people would have gone back to using Stonehenge. Point being, new replacing old doesn't always mean new negating ​old.
          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
          But that day you know I left my money
          And I thought of you only
          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Working...
          X