Thread: Conjuring Demons

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Re: Conjuring Demons

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Even after years of training practitioners are careful about the spirits they deal with.
    Knowing his character, I don't think it's his thing.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

BMH, I've noticed an interesting trend in threads and responses from you over the past week or so. It appears that you have quite a large disenchantment with where you are spiritually and religiously. From looking to change your faith drastically not only from what you claim to be now but even thinking about diametrically opposed religions, to asking questions and suddenly showing an interest in delving into pursuits that can be rigorous and challenging mentally, spiritually, and even possibly physically. You had mentioned before that you're sort of in search for that "pop", that "jolt", an adrenaline rush sort of thing. I get that. You want to find something that makes you feel larger than life, powerful, in charge, and important. I also get it that maybe you just want to explore all the avenues available out there, to see what really clicks with you. But I think you are going about it the wrong way. Instead of jumping into the deep end, sit down, relax, and look around you. Do some research, read some books, and start at the beginning. You've got to walk before you can run, and you've got to crawl before you can walk.

Now, when it comes to demons, it really depends upon what it is that you're looking for. For the most part, each culture and religion has it's own entities that it has demonized. From the Christian concept of fallen angels and the various denizens of Hell, to how some folks would consider the Nordic draugr and trollkin to be "demons". Also, what one man calls a demon, another could see as an angel.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Munin-Hugin,
    An astute observation of character and an eloquent oration.
    There is a word that we use to describe those who immaturely and irreverently "play" at traditions and practices. We call them "Playgans". It is not a flame or a defamatory name or title, just a statement that we hope they grow out of it. I see Bartmanhomer as this kind of young person. He is truly interested in all the aspects of many traditions but has not yet taken the step to work at gaining the true knowledge of what he seeks. He would very much like to be an "instant Pagan" but hasn't decided whether it is worth working for. He may yet become a powerful (and humble) witch one day. I hope so.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Unless you are serious about starting a Demonolatry practice, or serious about being a Ceremonial Magician who might get smacked down by said conjured demons... you don't.

Of course, if you're talking about Hellenic daimon/daemons then that's outside of my sphere of experience and is best ask in the Hellenic board, as they are quite different to the Goetia and related Demonic pantheons.
    Very much agree. He probably could work with the Hellene notion of Daimons / Daemons fairly easy though it can get sort of complex depending upon which age you focus upon. Though in truth I could see BMH calling upon an Agathos or Eudaimon. Just for reference the Agathos is basically a good or helpful spirit while the Eudaimon is often sort of a ancestral or heroic persons spirit. Though sometimes it gets a bit iffy working with the Agathos when you come from a Christian mindset for the Agathos is often depicted as a snake or serpent.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsFriend
    Munin-Hugin,
    An astute observation of character and an eloquent oration.
    There is a word that we use to describe those who immaturely and irreverently "play" at traditions and practices. We call them "Playgans". It is not a flame or a defamatory name or title, just a statement that we hope they grow out of it. I see Bartmanhomer as this kind of young person. He is truly interested in all the aspects of many traditions but has not yet taken the step to work at gaining the true knowledge of what he seeks. He would very much like to be an "instant Pagan" but hasn't decided whether it is worth working for. He may yet become a powerful (and humble) witch one day. I hope so.
    Please refrain from talking about another member is this manner on a public board where they can read it. Even if your intentions were not malicious, it is patronising and inappropriate. If I see something like this again from ANYONE, I will rain doom down upon them.

If you have feedback for/about a member then address them directly, in a civil and respectful manner.

Rather than make a new post for this and drag it out in yet another post, I'm going to add a note in here that this word nearly always used in a way that is deragatory and insulting in general. If this is a statement that "we hope they grow out of it" and not meant to be defamatory, then next time, find different words to use and actually address the OP. AND THIS GOES FOR ANYONE ELSE THAT FEELS LIKE USING THIS SORT OF DISCUSSION IN THIS OR ANY OTHER THREAD ABOUT THEIR OPINION OF ANYONE'S RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. Calling someone else a playgan, a fluffy bunny, a McWiccan, etc like this is absolutely name calling on this forum and it is not welcome. Because these terms are almost always used in such a way that implies that one feels that their own beliefs and practices are superior. And I gaurantee that everyone here has beliefs that someone else considers fluffy. If you can't say something without using one of those words, keep it to yourself.
    ~thalassa
    Last edited by thalassa; 19 Oct 2015 at 06:30.