Safeguarding when contacting ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safeguarding when contacting ancestors

I wish to connect with my ancestors who, based on what I've read, practiced a shamanic belief system in Neolithic Britain. What I'm concerned about is opening myself up to ne'rdowells, who exist in all ancestry. I've got Catholic terrorists (related to one of the Gunpowder Plotters), a 17th century hedonist (has his own wikipedia page) and a number of women burnt as witches (likely they were just unpopular) so I know I have a mixed bag. I don't want to be vulnerable to attack, so what would you do? Or am I even coming at this from a totally wrong direction?
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Re: Safeguarding when contacting ancestors

Originally posted by Briton View Post
    I wish to connect with my ancestors who, based on what I've read, practiced a shamanic belief system in Neolithic Britain. What I'm concerned about is opening myself up to ne'rdowells, who exist in all ancestry. I've got Catholic terrorists (related to one of the Gunpowder Plotters), a 17th century hedonist (has his own wikipedia page) and a number of women burnt as witches (likely they were just unpopular) so I know I have a mixed bag. I don't want to be vulnerable to attack, so what would you do? Or am I even coming at this from a totally wrong direction?
    Personally, I don't believe that all of our ancestors become Ancestors who watch over us and guide us. And generally, ne'rdowells are not the sort to become Ancestors... but I don't have an extensive Ancestor work practice so my experience here is relatively limited.

Having said that, Ancestor work is not quite the same as working with other sorts of spirits. I'm also never a fan of 'opening yourself up' to anything unless you have the systems and guides in place to protect yourself from astral nasties. The good thing about Ancestor work is that we have identities and names to start working with, so don't have to go into it blind. The foundation of Ancestor work is usually an altar, where you can place photos, genealogy notes or things that represent your ancestors. Then meditate on your ancestry and the lessons that you can learn from those who came before us. Ancestors will sometimes come forward after you start a regular veneration practice. If you have a shamanic practice it's possible to journey to meet them, but discernment is necessary to ensure that you aren't being tricked by opportunistic entities.

Comment

You can "connect" with them by simply recognizing the fact that they are your ancestors and might be able to contribute something to you based on their experiences in life ... How that happens is up to them and you ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Ancestor work to me gets into an iffy realm. Iffy in that are you referring to the biological and bloodline ancestry? Are you referring to the cultural ancestry? Are you referring to a geographical ancestry? Realistically even considering are you considering the factual ancestry of your lineage or perhaps almost an egregore construct of what you think your ancestry and history are.

I know when I work ancestry I tend to work bloodline ancestry which gives it a different feel. Yet at times I also work the total ancestry that includes all my family and those influences as well as the clan, tribe, etc that equally contributed to and molded them. BY total I refer to the notion of people descending from a single blood ancestor but are not my direct blood lines such as those formed through siblings and their descendants.

Protections? For me it seems if I am called to seek out an ancestral contact then someone has already tried to narrow the scope and placed protections and safeguards in place. BUt I have to admit my own experiences and such seem to suggest that ones ancestry and concern / attachment to it only goes back a couple of generations before they no longer relate to your lineage. Well unless there is some pressing commitment or attachment that is passed down through the family and continues to affect / effect multiple generations.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Wording and intent matters. Be specific about what you are opening yourself up to. Don't just roll with the flow, though it can be tempting, maintain your intent and maintain your control be fluid and open to explore but keep your specific goals in mind. Be sure of yourself and what you're doing mental walls and barriers up until you're sure you know exactly who and what you're dealing with.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Hi, thank you everyone. Given me a lot to think about. I am in the process of designing and building an offering shrine. Primarily I seek to find my regional (southern England) ancestors. I do not buy into the 'Celt cult', ie that these ancestors were Celts, they weren't. I want to recognise them for what they have achieved in bringing this civilisation to where it is which has been abused by historians of the last few centuries. Thankfully this is changing but I want to continue their identity because they have been largely forgotten, whitewashed, and they deserve better, deserve thanks. The more I read the more I realize how industrious and advanced they were. So I want to revive the shamanic culture that was around before (annd after) the early Iron Age when Celtic groups settled that achieved most of our prehistory. I don't have a problem with the settled Celtic polytheistic hustory, I just don't connect to it. I am the child of immigration, so I am largely paying homage to the regional/cultural ancestors who in my opinion make Britain fascinating to me.

Comment

Your ancestors could have been Celts, Anglos, Saxons, Irish or even Romans ... Or all of them ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
                Your ancestors could have been Celts, Anglos, Saxons, Irish or even Romans ... Or all of them ...
                This may be true, genetically, but it's not who I am drawn to. Fruthermore I consider the Roman occupation a blemish on British history, but that's neither here nor there. There is a fair chance I have Danelaw ancestry, I definitely have Polish ancestry, but I do not believe this matters. These people are a fraction of British development. I appreciate the work some of them have done contributing to the development of civilization but it pales in comparison against the Neolithic, Bronze and early Iron Ages, even the Lower Palaeolithic has a lot to offer.

Comment

I want to recognise them for what they have achieved in bringing this civilisation to where it is which has been abused by historians of the last few centuries. Thankfully this is changing but I want to continue their identity because they have been largely forgotten, whitewashed, and they deserve better, deserve thanks. The more I read the more I realize how industrious and advanced they were. So I want to revive the shamanic culture that was around before (annd after) the early Iron Age when Celtic groups settled that achieved most of our prehistory. I don't have a problem with the settled Celtic polytheistic hustory, I just don't connect to it.
                  So, I would recommend starting here. Start with the thank you to your geological and cultural predecessors (I do something similar to this, that I call "reconciliation work"...I anticipate that this will be especially true when we move as the local Native American population was completely wiped out by the Spanish and plantation system slavery was quite common). It doesnkt have to be historically accurate (yet--that is something you can work on over time)...just make it simple and from the heart, maybe make an offering in their honor somewhere significant to them or to you. Start small and see where it takes you over time. While your at it, do more research (even into paths you think don't interest you, because often there are still insights there) and start (if you have't already) a basic meditative practice.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I was going to do wood carvings, alcohol and stonework, like flint knapping ornate shapes and useful tools.

Comment

Thanks. I was going to do wood carvings, alcohol and stonework, like flint knapping ornate shapes and useful tools.
                      Hey, I think work is a great offering, when dedicated to the entity/ies in question. My most regular devotion is picking up trash at the beach--obviously there are things I do to sacrilize it, but the work itself is the actual offering.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Different people have different ideas of what it is to connect and work with ancestors. You don't have to acknowledge unsavory characters (nithings, the th like in father) in your ancestry line. Sometimes it's fun to brag about an unsavory ancestor... everyone should have a crazy aunt that lives in the attic. I understand it's a southern US tradition.

As far as ancestors who would take an interest in you, they'd go back only 3 generations to your great-grandparents, if you even knew them. As a Heathen I am ancestor-deprived. I did not know my paternal grandparents at all, I hardly knew my maternal grandparents, and I did not have the best relationship with my parents. I put that aside and honor them nevertheless with a small shrine, but I don't do much else with them. I do keep in mind everything about the past cultures that made me. Knowing where you came from, learning about the culture, collecting and displaying a few items representing that past honors ancestors even though you didn't know them.
                        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Double post! Sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                          As far as ancestors who would take an interest in you, they'd go back only 3 generations to your great-grandparents
                          How come? Is this from your experience? Three of my grandparents died before my 3rd birthday, the other I'm going to see on Monday. No, no astral projection, he's just still alive :P

Comment

How come? Is this from your experience?
                            It's a general Heathen precept. Where and how it started, and the reasoning, I don't know. I admit that there is stuff in Heathenry that doesn't make sense or seems silly on the face of it.
                            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I'd say the reasoning itself is that for the most part, those are the ancestors who would have had a chance to know you, or at least have been aware of your presence in both your and their time while alive. It would be much easier to establish a connection with someone with whom you had had some physical contact, even if it was for a short time.

I'd also think though, that the generational rule could be suspended for those family members who were "famous" or "infamous", so to speak. Through stories constantly told, retold, and handed down from generation to generation, one could feel as though you "know" that ancestor, thus creating a link to that individual.

Comment

Working...
                              X