GMO Foods: Are They Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMO Foods: Are They Safe

I know a little knowledge about Genetically-Modified Foods or Genetically-Engineered Foods. In my opinion I think GMO foods are unsafe and harmful to the human body. Scientists pure some much different DNA to different foods so they can create "superfoods." I think they all GMO foods should be banned everywhere worldwide. What's your opinion on GMO foods?

Re: GMO Foods: Are They Safe

Main issue I have read about is allergies that modified foods might pose.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

That's... a little extreme of an opinion. Quite a few people would starve to death if that ever happened, and it would be effectively unenforcable. I realize that it makes me something of a devil's advocate, but I actually approve of cautiously modified foods. They can cause certain problems (I know my aunt has to eat organic, unmodified everything), for certain people, but you can't halt the progression of science, and I think that the net benefit is greater than the net loss. We do need to prevent the copyright of GMOs, though; that stands as firmly immoral in my book.

Comment

Tasty, and chewy.

Oh brave new world that hath such veggies in it!
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Just viewed a list of gmo foods. Soy is a big one.

Smirks at the vegans.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

That Soy might have a little pork genes in it....
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              That Soy might have a little pork genes in it....
              Well, the pork has human genes in it, so...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

And if they put pork genes in everything? ... Sorry terrorists ... NOT ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
                  And if they put pork genes in everything? ... Sorry terrorists ... NOT ...
                  Wait isn't not eating pork an Islam thing? Not just terrorists?

Also GMO's? Meh, I'm still kicking and apparently I've eaten buckets of them.
                  White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                  sigpic
                  In Days of yore,
                  From Britain's shore
                  Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                  And planted firm Britannia's flag
                  On Canada's fair domain.
                  Here may it wave,
                  Our boast, our pride
                  And joined in love together,
                  The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                  The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                    Wait isn't not eating pork an Islam thing? Not just terrorists?
                    Didn't want to appear prejudice so I included all terrorists ... Not just the more obvious ones ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I don't think all terrorists have an issue with pork.

Anywayyy... GMO can be good. They have developed rice than can grow on dry land, very useful for places like Africa. I agree no GMO should be copyrighted. If that's how someone makes their money, well, then they should find another way.
                      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                      But that day you know I left my money
                      And I thought of you only
                      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

This is one of those things that both sides tends to get wrong.

Essentially, GMO foods ARE safe. They're just plants, but instead of creating new breeds through selection and cross-breeding, scientists combine genes from other plants to get new varieties. It's not exactly "natural," but then again, neither is crossing two different varieties of a plant from completely different regions or parts of the world. There have been various tests done in terms of GMOs and allergies, and nothing conclusive has really come up. This was one of my fears as well, but basically, allergies just don't work that way. With allergies, it's all about the protein, and legume proteins still don't really show up in the fruits of completely different plants when they're crossed (or you know, whatever species we're talking about).

There ARE a lot of issues with GMOs, but that has a lot to do with how farming is practiced and less to do with the entire concept of GMOs in itself. Specific varieties that are bred to be resistant to insecticides and pesticides are problematic for things like bee populations and biodiversity, which is an issue. Monoculture is a problem, but this is also a huge issues with non-GMO plants. Some GMOs also pose a risk to biodiversity, because they are bred to be dominant and can take over local species in the right environments. Overall, I support the EU legislation, which takes a highly critical look at each GMO product and determines whether it is suitable for the European environment. It tends to be over-cautious, so most end up getting banned, but GMOs aren't completely banned.

I also tend to disagree that we need GMO plants to combat food supply. I've been learning a LOT about local food supply, supermarket product cycles, and waste management lately, and we waste a LOT. Like a huge, huge amount. We also overproduce here in Europe (and in most other developed countries as well) and we tend to take that oversupply and use it to flood foreign markets, making it virtually impossible for local agriculture businesses to compete. We don't really need more tools to do that. A lot of hunger in places like Africa has to do with a) access, b) conflict, and c) the inability for local industries to compete with cheap produce and grain from Europe. Producing more food won't solve any of those problems.

All that being said, GMOs do have the potential to do a lot of good. Producing varieties that are drought resistant helps cut down water usage and make it possible to grow certain foods in warmer, dryer climates, and developing varieties that are more resistant to the cold can help extend local growing seasons in our corner of the world, for example. I think it would be wrong to just blanket ban all GMOs due to some of the problems related to GMO use in industrial scale farming. That shuts out a lot of potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        Just viewed a list of gmo foods. Soy is a big one.

Smirks at the vegans.
                        And if you want to go for the non-GMO camp, organic farming is virtually impossible without some kind of animal by-product. A lot of organic fertilizers come from cow manure or bone meal.

Comment

Memory might be wrong here as far as recall but seem to recall part of the issue with GMO's is also that farmer's have to purchase seeds each year. They can't hold seeds or crops for seeds due to the manipulating. So it's even more of a lose lose scenario in that the farmers can't get ahead and the crops are not sustainable. So the farmer's have to change to be competitive due to environmental issues but it costs them even more in the end. I think it was India that was running into this problem with corn with the farmer's going deeper and deeper into debt because they had to borrow more and more to purchase seed.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            Memory might be wrong here as far as recall but seem to recall part of the issue with GMO's is also that farmer's have to purchase seeds each year. They can't hold seeds or crops for seeds due to the manipulating. So it's even more of a lose lose scenario in that the farmers can't get ahead and the crops are not sustainable. So the farmer's have to change to be competitive due to environmental issues but it costs them even more in the end. I think it was India that was running into this problem with corn with the farmer's going deeper and deeper into debt because they had to borrow more and more to purchase seed.
                            The change is at the genetic level - they should breed true, but not all plants in nature actually do (apple trees, for example). At any rate, you have the exact same problem with all (GMO and nonGMO) squash, melon, cucumbers. They will crossbreed, producing strange fruit in the second generation.

Monsanto developed a GMO corn that needed to be sprayed with a particular chemical before it would set seed. Naturally, Monsanto also produced the chemical, which they sold.

Depending on your particular politics (everybody loves to hate Monsanro, that demon-on-earth), Monsanto had either developed a GMO that could not escape into the wild, or Monsanto had found a way to hold crops for ransom.

Take your pick...

You get one answer from Mother Jones, a different answer from technical journals.

Comment

Danie summed up most of my concerns about GMOs quite nicely.

The only thing I have to add is that I disagree with the idea that the companies that spend billions of dollars to make these shouldn't be allowed to turn some sort of profit for them for further research. I think the same sort of system we use for medications is a good start (you get x years to recoup costs and make a little extra and then open it up), though that system has issues too (mostly because of the profit margin required to appease the stock market).
                              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X