I had to replace my laptop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to replace my laptop...

Some of you may know that I had to replace Phaedra Sprocket when she died...so meet Whilhelmina Wickette.

Anyone have have freebie (or nearly so) recommendations for security stuff? I'm covered for the 60 days or whatever with the stuff on it when you buy it, which gives me a little time to look into things.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: I had to replace my laptop...

Ok,go to comodo for a firewall and other stuff free. They do have pay stuff also.
    https://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php

Might also check out Nirsoft. They have a launcher with all their programs.
    All free,and many very good programs.
    http://launcher.nirsoft.net/

I use both of these,also Comodo has a free security suite and browser based on Firefox and another based on Chromium.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

These tests evaluate the suites “real-world” protection capabilities with default settings (incl. on-execution protection features). It is our aim to do these tests rigorously. Due to that, these tests are time and resource expensive, so only products chosen for the yearly main test-series are included.

The link above should get you to a place you can download comparisons of 15-20 major anti-virus systems on. Pick a front runner and see if they have a free version. They explain their testing methods in the pdf files but if you have a question then let me know.

Also, do not try the higher end kaspersky products. 1) you pay through the nose and 2) some of them may conflict with your machine in odd ways.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

That is a nice site Mask..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          That is a nice site Mask..
          Found it through a sci fi forum. It was a nice discovery.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Also Comodo now has a program built in that is like Task manager on steroids named Kill switch. shows ALL running process's and all connections to your system from online.

- - - Updated - - -

screen shot of killswitch.
            Capture.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Better pic of killswitch.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I have AVG (free version), been using that for years on multiple devices - I don't know how it's rated by other people but I haven't had any problems.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

We usually do Avast or AVG...I just figured I'd ask around!
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

There are many anti-virus/malware programs,you just need to find one that meets your needs.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm running Avast, but when I have icky problems, I will run whatever malware program I can find because they all pick up different things. Also, there is a chrome program that finds specific things that latch on to google that other software doesn't seem to find.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've listened to The Tech Guy Leo Laporte for over 10 years now. Good recommends. I use Eset Nod 32. It's cheap and very light weight on my old 6 year old laptop. It's not intrusive and has a very easy interface. If that helps.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Some of you may know that I had to replace Phaedra Sprocket when she died...so meet Whilhelmina Wickette.

Anyone have have freebie (or nearly so) recommendations for security stuff? I'm covered for the 60 days or whatever with the stuff on it when you buy it, which gives me a little time to look into things.
                        I'm sorry about your previous laptop thalassa. I found a great anti-virus program on amazon.com called Webroot. You can get it for pretty cheap too. Webroot has done a great job for me and scans the computer pretty much constantly for virus' and other stuff on your computer. It will have a little box that will show up when you get to the desktop and it constantly monitors your computer. I definitely recommend it.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

NEW QUESTION!!!

(by the way, thanks for the suggestions guys!!)

Willa has a freaky touchy mousepad with some poltergeist tendencies.

Is there a way to turn it off? I have a USB wireless mouse, so its not like I need it...

I've never had this problem before, so I've never thought to disable it.
                          sigpic

Comment

try the control panel option before you look at others

Comment

There are programs to control the sensitivity,for my new wireless mouse(Logiteich) the program is named Setpoint,I think the control panel has a basic one,and you might check support for your brand and model online under support.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X