Pet death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet death

Are there any rituals or traditions for a deceased pet? Just curious how others have treated this situation.

Thanks,
    Jason

Re: Pet death

What difference does it make if it is a pet or another loved one? Use the same rite you would for a child or a friend.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

While I have no rituals for it, and have been lucky enough to not have had a pet of my own knowingly pass (the closest was one who just sort of took off after I moved out of my parents house), I have had a close friend and just recently my wife who have had that happen unfortunately. For both, I took the time to engrave a stone with a paw print to be used as a grave marker. It is something that I know I am going to continue to do.

Comment

I found this one a few days ago. http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/samh...ls_Samhain.htm

As stated above, adapt rites that you'd use for a loved one's, there are plenty out there. Depending on the pet, personalize it with a favored treat or toy, and just do what feels right.
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

We give thanks to the animals, vegetables and minerals that keep us healthy at every meal. I do the same as I prepare the meal.
          I believe it helps to keep us connected to the reality of life and death cycles of our own lives.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Dig hole ... Put animal in hole ... Say a few words ... Carry on with life ... I really don't do funerals or weddings well ... But well enough for me ...
            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Well, none of my major pets (also known as 'Familiars', whom I've bonded so they reincarnate in my general vicinity) have died yet (a perk of being young), but for my minor pets, such as hermit crabs and slugs, I do a burial and then do some traditional passages to ensure their safe passage into their next life, and to give them a charge of good fortune so said life doesn't suck and they aren't abused.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

We have already buried her, working on making a proper marker.

Comment

I bow to the recently deceased.

Awen
                  /|\

Without going out the door, you can know the ways of the world.
                  Without looking out your window, you can see the Way of Heaven.
                  The farther you go, the less you know.
                  Thus the Sage knows without travelling, sees without looking, does without doing.

Comment

Originally posted by unseen1 View Post
                    Thanks for the info!

We have already buried her, working on making a proper marker.
                    Proper marker might be to laminate or otherwise apply a waterproof coating to a photograph and mount it on a sturdy frame of some sort to designate the burial spot ... Perhaps with a favorite toy ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Man I am just sorry to read someone's pet died. They are such perfect little companions except for that lifespan part ...

Comment

Got the fix,just do as some other cultures did,bury everything connected to said living animal,that would include you as well...all tucked into a nice Pyramid...problem solved..(I mean they buried animals with the pharaoh right...Goose/Gander)
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                        X