Clear All

Despite what you've heard, we need MORE poop

Continuing with my musical extravaganza:

What the world needs now is poop, sweet poop
    It's the only thing that there's just too little of
    What the world needs now is poop, sweet poop
    No, not just for some but for everyone

No Crap: Missing 'Mega Poop' Starves Earth
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Despite what you've heard, we need MORE poop

Saw this and went...huh?...but yeh we need some things we never knew we needed..and nice lyrics B. De.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

This does highlight that we live in an environment,not a place where we only need ourselves and pizza and that old time 'Lectricity that magically comes to us.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

this article was quite popular where I work

(bunch'o'sciencegeeks)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I had considered this, in a more simplistic manner, a few months ago. Humans have displaced large mammals without filling all their roles, either themselves or by bringing something else in.

All because a composting toilet caught my eye.
          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
          But that day you know I left my money
          And I thought of you only
          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Forgive for asking the obvious question -

Does this mean that we should go back to dumping raw sewage into the ocean?

The vast number of people walking around and eating must certainly compensate for the loss of mega fauna, if we only put our poop in the right place...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Forgive for asking the obvious question -

Does this mean that we should go back to dumping raw sewage into the ocean?

The vast number of people walking around and eating must certainly compensate for the loss of mega fauna, if we only put our poop in the right place...
              Megafauna (the land based ones who were in enough numbers creating enough poop to matter) were mostly herbivores. I think we could put poop in the right place, but I don't think raw sewage in the ocean is the literally correct answer.

But treating humanure and other livestock waste and using it to replace chemical fertilizers, heck yeah.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Yup - my thoughts exactly. We need to find the gold in the shitpile, and use it wisely. What comes out has the same value as what goes in, if you know how to use it.

Comment

If more people had composting toilets then it would help. The sewer system (full of artificial colours, preservatives etc) would need to treat the majority of it before scattered across the ocean like a Hindu funerary rite.

Comment

What would really work is if everyone had the potential to have graywater reuse for sub-surface irrigation in landscaping and gardens (something, IMO, California and Nevada should have been doing years ago), so that the sewage system can be used to treat sewage, and our showers and laundry water. Obviously regulations need to be tailored to different ecosystems' requirements...but, it seems that it could solve a lot of water problems.

(I'm thinking rainwater fed toilet and greywater recycling when we have a house...the permitting looks tricky for the greywater bit, because we are so coastal, but both are permissable in GA)

Just found this: When it comes to using humanure, apparently we already do that (more sauce) (and more sauce, some of which is totally illegal)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      What would really work is if everyone had the potential to have graywater reuse for sub-surface irrigation in landscaping and gardens (something, IMO, California and Nevada should have been doing years ago), so that the sewage system can be used to treat sewage, and our showers and laundry water. Obviously regulations need to be tailored to different ecosystems' requirements...but, it seems that it could solve a lot of water problems.
                      By grey water, do you means water from the sink and shower etc? Because I think that would be very dangerous to use in the natural environment. If just reused for toilet water, then that's fine.
                      (I'm thinking rainwater fed toilet and greywater recycling when we have a house...the permitting looks tricky for the greywater bit, because we are so coastal, but both are permissable in GA)
                      Rainwater can certainly be used for showers and baths. Exposed to high UV up in the clouds, it would just need a filter to gather bits that it collected from rolling off the roof.
                      Just found this: When it comes to using humanure, apparently we already do that (more sauce) (and more sauce, some of which is totally illegal)
                      Scary!

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                        By grey water, do you means water from the sink and shower etc? Because I think that would be very dangerous to use in the natural environment. If just reused for toilet water, then that's fine.

I used to canoe every summer in Quetico Provincial Park--the outfitter we used had a greywater wetland garden set up for their shower house. The garden handled 20 (staff) permanent and up to 150 temporary (guests) people at a time--and the outgoing guests hadn't showered in a week to 10 days in which they'd been in the park. It has all native plants and the water on the other end of the system came out just as clean as the water that came out the pipe (which was really effing clean, because it came out of one of the few places left in the world where you can get your potable water from a lake--and its cleaner than anything you or I have ever drank in our conventional lifestyles).

Greywater is water from the sinks (but not the kitchen sink or garbage disposals, which is considered black water like sewage), clothes washer, and shower/bathtub. Greywater recycling has the potential to reduce the amount of water introduced into the municipal sewer system something like 50% (around the amount of the average household's indoor water use according to the EPA), by redirecting that water used outside the home--the average home uses more water outside than they do for these processes.

Grey water, with minimal treatment and/or filtration, when introduced into the natural environement in particular ways (IE, its filtered, treated, and not collected and stored for long periods of time) is fairly safe (safety, of course, is a relative term) for both human health and the environment. But not without the potential for issues (mainly with soil health), which can be mitigated with better treatment and with preplanning which products are used in the home. With some added treatment, its even safer (in terms of human health and the environment). There are obviously some things that have to be done responsibly to do it well (from conscious consumerism to good system design and engineering), which is why places that allow it generally have quite a bit of regulations involved (and, TBH, it should--I don't think most communities can afford the environmental or heath risk to let *everyone* to DIY their water systems without oversight). When used for subsurface irrigation, the water cycle cleans the water just as effectively (actually, more effectively, if you take into account the reduction in energy used and the reduction chemicals used for treatment by not having it mixed with sewage before its put back into nature).

Most places that allow or encourage grey water recycling don't allow wetland gardens...instead, the water gets filtered, sometimes gets treated (depends on the building size and type and the ordinances or codes that regulate it), and then gets reused for subsurface irrigation. For example, Georgia state regulations require filtration and treatment, they stipulate how the system has to work, where it can be located, etc and they allow cities to determine more stringent require and location specific permitting and maintenance requirements. If you have a separate rainwater system, the rainwater can also be diverted to as part of the flushing/diluting system for the greywater recycling when dealing with more sensitive plants if its being used for subsurface irrigation.

Rainwater can certainly be used for showers and baths. Exposed to high UV up in the clouds, it would just need a filter to gather bits that it collected from rolling off the roof.
                        Actually, rainwater (in GA, whose regs I'm familiar with since we are moving their and plan to buy a home) doesn't even allow that. You can use it in non-potable ways only--in your toilet and in your cooling system, and to flush/dilue greywater. You cannot use it in a shower or even in the washing machine for clothes.

Scary!
                        When it comes to commercially produced biosolids, not so much. When it comes to DIY biosolid production, yeah...I can see issues.
                        sigpic

Comment

For grey water management you can recycle thru the toilet, use wetland filtration or even use a french drain around flowers and gardens ... One big probem here is that the water table is 3-5 feet down ...
                          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Or run it through a stack of hay bails inoculated with oyster mushrooms. It'll clean the water and convert the nitrates into tasty food.

Comment

As long as it's filtered to remove copious unpronounceable chemicals in shampoo or hand wash.

Why can't you use rainwater?

Comment

Working...
                              X