Do Zombies have beliefs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Zombies have beliefs?

I'm not really sure what I'm hoping to accomplish with this thread. I really don't think zombies have the ability to think or feel outside of their basic instincts to feed... But I also don't believe zombies are real in the first place.

What do you think... Possible? Plausible? Coo-coo? Totes a real thing and they have feelers like you and me?
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Do Zombies have beliefs?

Which version of zombie?
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Maybe they believe in life after death?

Or is that death after life... Or maybe death is just the beginning?
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well, define "zombie". I could answer this in a way that would most likely offend some people, depending upon the definition being used.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          Which version of zombie?
          This. You know I'm a connoisseur of zombie books. Some have no soul. They are just dead things moved by chemicals and a unknown virus. Some are monster aliens (not even joking). Then you read I zombie and you are mortified to find the people are stuck in their rotting bodies. Unable to fight the urge to eat living flesh, but completely able to think as if they were a live. It's a horrid horrid depressing thing to read.

It depends what version you go with. The Sci fi version or the possible real version ala prion diseases and Marburg viruses.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            It depends what version you go with. The Sci fi version or the possible real version ala prion diseases and Marburg viruses.
            Or some potentially plausible modified version of that fungus that makes ant zombies

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              Or some potentially plausible modified version of that fungus that makes ant zombies
              Or bath salts

Comment

Or puffer fish poison...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Or, to go along with my curiosity from another thread, just be Christian? Would Jesus fit under a definition of a zombie, having been witnessed to have died, and then come back to life?

Comment

Or, to go along with my curiosity from another thread, just be Christian? Would Jesus fit under a definition of a zombie, having been witnessed to have died, and then come back to life?
                    Nope. Full resurrection doesn't result in a zombie. If the body is fully functioning under normal or better than normal conditions than you aren't undead, you're alive.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Hmmm. Okay, well ... IF zombies are real, AND if they are created by magic, AND said zombies have some sort of limited cognizant ability, I could see them looking to the necromancer who raised them up as a sort of god.

Comment

nope, because sci fi zombies aren't a real phenomenon and Jesus doesn't fit the description of a voodoo zombie.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Jesus came back with full motor and cognitive abilities-he was a litch
                          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                          sigpic

Comment

Funny this thread should pop up today, because I just watched three seasons of The Walking Dead in... six days, and one of the episodes last night was the sociopath girl who thought that zombies were just 'changed' and were talking to her and wanting to be her friends.

But no. I don't think zombies have feelings. If Medusa is our local zombie book connoisseur then I claim the title of zombie movie connoisseur (except the silly boy humor ones... I don't like those so I haven't seen them all)... and they never have feelings in the movies. Except the ones in Warm Bodies, they had feelings and could be unzombified with enough warm fuzzies.

My current 'Big Important Zombie Questions' is this... if zombies are rotting animated corpses, who's heads explode with relative ease and who's body parts will pull off if you tug hard enough... how do they have enough bite strength to tear into a human being?

Also... can zombies climb fences? Because the answer to that question is very important for any Zombie Apocolypse Survival Plans. If zombies are World War Z style acrobats, then we're all screwed. If they're the more traditional slow, lumbering corpses, then we stand a chance.

(No, I don't think the Zombie Apocalypse will actually happen... I just think it's fun to speculate. It's a running joke in my house.)

Comment

In the last zombie book I read, the zombie apocalypse eventually just mutated long enough to get the following...
                              You turn into a zombie. You are dumb.
                              If no one shoots you or shovels you in the head, you last a bit longer.
                              Last long enough you become a hunter. You use the dumb zombies as bait.
                              If you last long enough AND get good nutrition (fresh brainz) you become a thinker.
                              And eventually you start your own religion and use humans to give you their kids thinking the kids are going somewhere safe but in actuality it's a cookbook and they are just storing their fresh snacks for later.

And in the end the virus makes zombies the norm and the humans are out of luck.

And if you should be the zombies in the sad book of Zone One. Don't lock yourself in a room so that when you turn, you are in an eternal shamble of your locked quarters. And if you know you are going to turn, wear good shoes. The zombie virus kills your brain except for the primal need to eat. You will also lie down during the day and nap. Storing up your energy. That's how you stay strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X