"Anonymouse" self-righteously sucks again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Anonymouse" self-righteously sucks again

Those secret, hidden, self-righteous heroes of invasion of privacy are, once more, inserting their public dicks into other people's privacy. All in the name of outing people they don't like, of course, for their personal version of "good for society."

We should all bend over and kiss their fragrant butts for the good they are doing all of us in their holy name.

Anonymous Vows To Unhood 1,000 Ku Klux Klan Members

Too bad they weren't around in 1950 - they could have launched attacks on gays...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: "Anonymouse" self-righteously sucks again

Would anyone actually care if they found out their neighbors were a member? Or even work? I mean they are protected to have their own beliefs.

And maybe they should just let people know who they are. Stop being scardy cats.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I am sure that more people would care after the last twelve months than before since has become an inflated issue (that is, the problem has not got more serious, just been reported on more).

Do you believe Anonymous should reveal themselves, but an actively hateful group such as the KKK who used to lynch blacks, should be allowed to remain in secrecy?

If I found out my boss was a member of the KKK, I would start looking for a new job. If my neighbour was, I would keep a close eye on their activity (that I could see).

But I guess over here in the UK we don't value freedom of religion over scumbaggery so we're more likely to show them the door in any way we can.
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

You know what?

Terrorism is terrorism, even when you don't like the target.

If anybody thinks that their OWN privacy should be respected, they ought to respect the privacy of OTHERS.

Much like freedom of speech, it isn't there just for those you agree with.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's a rather childish thing to do, isn't it? They are skilled people, they could be doing really useful stuff. We don't really have a history with KKK here, but exposing them seems like something that could have a potentially violent ending. I know, here, anonymous have helped unravel pedophile networks with the police. Now, there's a good use of time.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I can't really applaud vigilantly justice, but pedophiles are dangerous to children, and they are engaging in illegal activity. That they help police in an area that is clearly criminal is one thing. To take it upon themselves to "help society" in areas that are not criminal is so very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              I can't really applaud vigilantly justice, but pedophiles are dangerous to children, and they are engaging in illegal activity. That they help police in an area that is clearly criminal is one thing. To take it upon themselves to "help society" in areas that are not criminal is so very wrong.
              I agree. They're taking it upon themselves to decide what is right and wrong, using means that are actually illegal. Sometimes when I hear what they're doing, I find it hard to empathise with the vicims, but that doesn't mean it's ok. I just think that a lot of very skilled hackers could probably be put to great use working with the law.
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I've seen these anonymous guys on the news and they even had some masked fellow talk on the news before. Aren't they not a unified organization? Like they aren't one thinking body? I thought that was part of their point.
                White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                And planted firm Britannia's flag
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                And joined in love together,
                The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Yup - and that's exactly the thing. They enjoy causing harm to others. They specifically pick victims that are hard to empathize with, in order to get away with reprehensible behavior, and to get support. I suspect that, should they continue long enough, and begin to feel they have public support, they will begin edging into areas where good/bad becomes increasing debatable, and eventually entirely a matter of their own choosing.

That is the general pattern followed by vigilantes in history.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    Yup - and that's exactly the thing. They enjoy causing harm to others. They specifically pick victims that are hard to empathize with, in order to get away with reprehensible behavior, and to get support. I suspect that, should they continue long enough, and begin to feel they have public support, they will begin edging into areas where good/bad becomes increasing debatable, and eventually entirely a matter of their own choosing.

That is the general pattern followed by vigilantes in history.
                    That thought has crossed my mind too... I don't trust anyone who like 'playing god' to not go corrupt. One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I grew up in an area with the Klan.

They are not nice people. They are terrifying. The idea that they aren't harmful is ludicrous to me, utterly.

1,000 people trying to hide that they're part of an organization that spit at me as a child for not being protestant and burned a cross in my neighbor's yard because they were mixed race? No. I don't think they should be absolved of the repercussions of being part of such a group.

The Klan is a vile group whose intention is to terrorize people who aren't their chosen race and religion into submission. The Klan isn't something you are born as, its not something you can't control: if you join it, you're joining it for a reason. The analogy to outing gays if moot: being gay doesn't harm anyone. Being gay doesn't make people flee for fear of their lives. This isn't just a group people hate for no good reason: they do harm.
                      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I do not suggest, inply, insinuate, advocate, recommend, yadda, yadda, yadda, in any way, that anybody be absolved for harmful and/or illegal practices. If Anonymous were providing info to the police about an impending cross burning, church bombing, lynching, etc., I would applaud them.

However, being a Klan member is not itself illegal, and not all Klan members act out in harmful ways. Despite the fact that I find them thoroughly unpleasant, they, as Americans, have a constitutional right to peacefully assemble, speak freely, and associate with people of their choice. Whether you, or I, like it or not.

I do, though, care for pretentious assholes who take it upon themselves to deny constitutional rights to others via the threat - real, implied, actual, or manifested - of public exposure of their private life.

Especially when they are so gutless as to hide behind masks and computer screens.

Comment

"So gutless to hide behind masks" That would apply to the Klan to.

They have a right to free speech. They don't have a right to avoid consequences from that speech. If the Klan has the right to use hate speech, then why doesn't Anonymous have the right to say "these are the people who are saying this"?

They aren't denying anyone's constitutional rights. If they want to keep saying racist stuff after their neighbors learn they are part of the Klan, they will still in fact have the right to. They just wont be anonymous about it. And if someone wanted to out those Anonymous members, they could do that to.

You don't have the constitutional right to a mask.
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Okey dokey.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                              "So gutless to hide behind masks" That would apply to the Klan to.

They have a right to free speech. They don't have a right to avoid consequences from that speech. If the Klan has the right to use hate speech, then why doesn't Anonymous have the right to say "these are the people who are saying this"?

They aren't denying anyone's constitutional rights. If they want to keep saying racist stuff after their neighbors learn they are part of the Klan, they will still in fact have the right to. They just wont be anonymous about it. And if someone wanted to out those Anonymous members, they could do that to.

You don't have the constitutional right to a mask.
                              Correct, there is no constitutional protection against the consequences of free speech. There are, however, multiple, state and federal laws that react with extreme prejudice to the unauthorized breaching of private computers and networks. Anonymous isn't breaching anyone's Constitutional rights because the protections of the Constitution are bindings limiting what the government can do to private citizens and unless someone here has evidence that Anonymous is a government operation, the Constitution isn't applicable. However, the governments, state and federal have put any number of laws in place to protect citizens. This is why murder gets police officers, metal jewelry and shiny 8 * 10 cell. Among those protections are a number of laws to the effect of

"Thou shalt not hack a computer or computer network without either

a. the permission of the owner
                              or
                              b. the authorization of a government agency"

Anonymous repeatedly takes criminal action to collect information for these stunts.

Personally, I'm not gonna mourn KKK members who get outed. I will mourn anyone Anonymous mistakenly accuses because their fact checking isn't always perfect but I'm not gonna mourn the actual KKK members. I'm also not gonna work up overmuch outrage over Anonymous at the moment provided that law enforcement does its job. In this case, that job is to hunt the nice people hiding behind Guy Fawkes masks and illegally breaching networks, find them if at all possible and prosecute them. If Anonymous evades capture good for them but the law doesn't work if we only apply it to people that society dislikes and letting the members of Anonymous pulling this stunt go free isn't worth sacrificing the rule of law. On any given day, I may or may not sympathize with them but they need to be hunted regardless and the attempt to capture them needs to be real not a token effort.
                              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X