This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runner's knee

After running thursday I had this stinging pain in my knee whenever I walk too long, which means it's likely runner's knee. I guess I'll have to face it, my old Nikes have to go So I found some stretches and excercises online to help it heal and get a stronger IT-band. I also remember some massage techniques. I've never had this before. Does anyone have some more advice about this? How long does it normally take to heal and can I run easy, short distances while it's healing?

Re: Runner's knee

Depends on the cause ... If there is cartilage damage or just muscle strain or damage to the meniscus ... Could be a buncha things ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

So I have a bum knee from waaaay back in the day when I had a bike accident. I was maybe 15. This year I had another bike accident and ripped my knee open a bit. Healed.

But then I'll just be walking and BAM! knee buckles. Totally sucks. Comes and goes at its own dang discretion too.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Runners knee has a number of potential causes (because its really a number of different conditions bunched together)...at some point, you may have to figure out when its a good time to see the sports medicine doc or orthopedist to sort out whats going on in there.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you all. I'll see if it gets better or worse this week. It feels a little better than yesterday, so hopefully it will just recover on its own. If it doesn't I'll go see a physiotherapist. I'll just leave the running for now. I don't want to cause any permanent damage.

Comment

About the running,and the runners high thing. I have never been into running,BUT a guy at work when I was working,was,and he was addicted to running. He ran in everything,when he wasn't just running(jogging)..in a marathon while running he collapsed,and died right there on the ground...Though they said heart attack,I think(because he was thin as a rail) he ran himself right into the heart attack.

My opinion,I have no medical knowledge..
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              About the running,and the runners high thing. I have never been into running,BUT a guy at work when I was working,was,and he was addicted to running. He ran in everything,when he wasn't just running(jogging)..in a marathon while running he collapsed,and died right there on the ground...Though they said heart attack,I think(because he was thin as a rail) he ran himself right into the heart attack.

My opinion,I have no medical knowledge..
              That's unfortunate... I run 2-3 times a week, distance 7-8 km. I love being out, listening to my music and just clearing my head. I'd never run myself to death. Heart attack is a common death cause among professional sportsmen as well. They push themselves to hard, it's just not worth it...

Comment

How are you going with your knee Thudr? Did you end up giving it a rest? At my work, we generally tell people with injury to rest and allow the tissue to heal, but to continue keeping it mobile so it doesn't lock up. We give them gentle exercises to do that maintain/ build strength but without the impact. If you want to continue running without pain, consider seeing an exercise physiologist who can assess how far and fast you can run considering your unique health. And definitely invest in good shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                  How are you going with your knee Thudr? Did you end up giving it a rest? At my work, we generally tell people with injury to rest and allow the tissue to heal, but to continue keeping it mobile so it doesn't lock up. We give them gentle exercises to do that maintain/ build strength but without the impact. If you want to continue running without pain, consider seeing an exercise physiologist who can assess how far and fast you can run considering your unique health. And definitely invest in good shoes!
                  Thank you Azvanna. I'm doing a lot better than I'd expected. I'm not running at the moment. At work I walk and stand a lot, but surprisingly that doesn't hurt at all. Only when I jump or run just a few steps I start feeling it, so I sit down when that happens and within a few seconds the pain is gone again.

I'm definitely going to buy new shoes at a runners store. I know one where they can give me professional advice about which shoes fit me best. For now, I'm just going to have to take it easy. I'm doing some daily stretches and exercises already. So hopefully in 3-4 weeks from now I can start running again

Comment

Working...
                  X