Blessing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blessing

What, exactly, is conferred with blessing? I know of no faith tradition that does not engage in blessing people, objects, situations, places. Is the meaning the same across all of them? I have read that blessing a object attaches a thoughtform, though I doubt many who do such blessings have that intention. I have read that blessing a person is an offering of energy, though I doubt many who do such blessing have that intention. Perhaps it means different things to different people. What does it mean to you?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Re: Blessing

I will openly accept all gifts of blessings as gifts of Universal Energy. It cannot hurt me and it provides a channel to becoming an even better person. Sometimes I will return the blessings and others, not so much.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

When I say 'be blessed' to someone, I wish to set up on their behalf an avenue for divine presence to enter their life in some way. If a person accepts my wish, then the avenue is set. I have never tried to bless an item, though that is scriptural as St Paul prayed over a piece of cloth and sent that instead of his person to facilitate faith for divine healing.

Comment

For me it just involves spending and transferring some positive energy to an object or person, resulting in an increase of 'luck'.

Comment

Blessings are a divine touch, nudge, or embracing. I don't think humans can intentionally bless others without the divine. A priest/ess or witch can offer blessings and perform prayers, banishing, and cleansing with blessings in heart, but it is the divine that blesses.

Comment

THANK,
            Are we all not part of the divine? When I say, "have a great day" I fully expect that they will have the best day they are capable of having. When I say, "Bless you" it is a recognition of the blessing they live in their life and not an evocation of blessings upon them. Yes, the divine that is separate, yet a part of me can bless whom ever they wish with anything they wish, but I am just as capable of doing the same thing if I was so inclined.
            There is also the natural complements to any blessing; Wisdom requires the learning from mistakes, Patience requires testing your patience so it grows, Happiness requires the knowledge of sadness and so on.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

You can have the best intentions for someone, but I do not think that is a blessing. You can say 'bless you' all you want and maybe the person receiving it feels blessed, but I see that more as a release of oxytocin then a blessing. Same with saying 'have a great day', but you are also basing that off of your expectations not on what occurs after you have given them your blessing; anything can happen after you saying 'have a great day' horrible, mundane or blessed. Blessings I feel are gifts of divine guidance, for instance, moments of crisis when there seems no hope then suddenly an opportunity appears.

If you say 'bless you' to somebody on the verge of suicide and that saves them from their own hand taking their life, then that is a blessing very much so, but because the divine was speaking through you at that very moment, because sometimes positive intention through words drives a suicidal over the edge. Not every blessing a human gives comes to fruition, but when the divine is involved then a blessing is sure to pass.

Comment

Tangential thought reading these replies: I don't think it is possible to point to any event as evidence of being blessed. I know that in my life things have occurred that I perceived as terrible misfortunes, but over time turned out to be great gifts. It is entirely possible that a profound blessing will manifest as great pain.

The source of blessing is an interesting trajectory, too, and opinions about that will probably depend upon whether and how a person perceives divinity. I suppose an atheist would put a blessing down to nothing more than the capacity of kindness to change a person's mood, as Thank suggested. For someone who sees the universe as God made manifest, then different aspects of the divine act upon each other, which is intriguing. And so on.

Can the act of blessing be psychically and/or energetically perceived? Absolutely, but what, exactly, is it?

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

The unknown coming through even, as has been mentioned, may seem like a tragedy but has a positive effect down the line makes a lot of sense. It seems to be different for everybody, though, I would perceive a blessing as realizing such a tragedy lead me to a good place in my life that I would not have arrived at if not for the tragedy. I would also perceive a blessing as a communication with the divine that nudges and guides me in a productive direction, or that moment when all that exists, even for a brief moment, is being embraced by 'angel wings' (an indescribable feeling of acceptance, love, and wonder).

Comment

Working...
                  X