Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: attacks on Paris

Two of my favorite quotes from the movie "Contact":

Palmer Joss: Is the world fundamentally a better place because of science and technology? We shop at home, we surf the Web... at the same time, we feel emptier, lonelier and more cut off from each other than at any other time in human history...

and

Alien playing Ellie's dad: You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Yes. Wisdom is scattered in the wind, and no man is able to assemble it.
      But we can try.

And indeed we must.

...there is, after all, only one other choice.

To go give up and give in. I'm all for knowing when to bend---when bending is the strategy that will achieve eventual effective results.

If insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, then call me insane. I will tilt at windmills and rage against the dying of the light, that one day those of us fighting to piece together the wisdom of humanity and live within the dictates of compassion will be a vocal majority.

Because that one day will come.

But not today.

Today we are still beautiful monsters...capable of depravity and terror in equal measure with kindness and nobility. And I have faith that we can still answer the former with the latter.

May whatever gods one does or not believe in welcome these people into their presence today...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        But we can try.

And indeed we must.

...there is, after all, only one other choice.
        If there is a more worthwhile use for thought, I can not imagine what it is.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Does Sean have a phone? Does anyone have his number or his email?
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
            The staff have access to the e-mail he registered with. If no one has a faster way to get in touch with him then I have a site account that I can reach out to him through. Provided that he's kept his e-mail up to date. People have been known to change their primary e-mail and not update the site.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I have no words, only tears.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                I have no words, only tears.

The earth cries out; My God, my God! Why hast thou forsaken me?
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                  He was last on the site about 9 hours ago. OF course, that doesn't help much

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  The earth cries out; My God, my God! Why hast thou forsaken me?
                  Away from his arms | in the open field
                  A man should fare not a foot;
                  For never he knows | when the need for a spear
                  Shall arise on the distant road.

Comment

Addressing Sean, I do hope he is alright.
                    In first hearing that shootings took place at a metal concert, my first thoughts were that the shooters could have bit off more than they could chew. Attending many different types of metal concerts, I could say that if someone were to attempt to shoot up some of these shows I've been to, they would have been the ones leaving in a body bag. I am anticipating stories of attendances running at the gunmen in full fledged addrenalin. We will see.
                    Absolutely horrible though, keeping up with the story, last time I checked; 153 estimated casualty. This was a heavily planned assault on the people of France. Do you blame the refugees invading Europe from Syria and other Arabic countries, or do you blame infiltration from terrorist organizations? Maybe both, but there is a wide uproar from many northern pagans on the topic. Aryan or not, their thoughts are the same; purge the infection before it spreads to your home town. Do I personally agree with it? To some extent. But I do believe many of the refugees have a hatred for western ideals, and France being a huge stepping ground for many of these displaced people, their defense security has a lot to worry about. This is a problem they've been anticipating, and I do wonder if this could have been avoided.
                    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

The refugees fled to--not invaded--European countries to get away from exactly the sort of horrible acts like the one that happened tonight. Turning against the refugees will just further what the terrorists want. To spread fear and distrust, and also, to punish the people who left. Blame the terrorists. Not the innocents.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

This is not the time or place for well or ill placed blame, period. Drop the topic..we don't know anything yet, and won't with any certainty for some time yet.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

What is the world coming to?
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                            What is the world coming to?
                            The same thing it's always been up to.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Anyone have Sean on FB they have activated the safety check, and we can see if he has checked in.
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                                Anyone have Sean on FB they have activated the safety check, and we can see if he has checked in.
                                I have no idea how to do that but I just wrote to him. Let's see if he replies. If he sees the message I'll know.

- - - Updated - - -

Last time he logged in was 7 hours ago, FB says.
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X