Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working with the elements

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
    I'm aware that there is quiet a lot of symbolism with the elements, but what I'm interested in hearing about is how you guys actually work with the elements practically speaking.

Anyone?

Could you say a little about spells and rituals with the tides, that sounds intriguing.
    I haven't forgotten this! I'll get around to it, but right now I'm gonna take a bubble bath, bake a homemade pizza, and maybe take a nap...not necessairly in that order. As far as birthday' go, today sucked.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I haven't forgotten this! I'll get around to it, but right now I'm gonna take a bubble bath, bake a homemade pizza, and maybe take a nap...not necessairly in that order. As far as birthday' go, today sucked.
      Well happy birthday anyway! I find that ice-cream is always helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
      In Arratu we evoke the elements with every ritual. Earth is called to be the foundation for the temple, the ritual, and our lives. Air is called to carry our magik, to bring inspiration, and intuition into our ritual and lives. Fire is called on to contribute to our passions for learning and courage. It also is used to aid in our transformation from physical to spiritual and to protect the temple and us. Water is called upon to give birth to our magik and bring the deep love that we have for each other and our larger human family into the forefront. Other aspects are called upon for different purposes depending on the ritual. I always balance the quarters prior to ritual so that when they are evoked there is a balance of power and protection for the ritual involved.
      I also teach to use the elements and their Guardians to aid in both spiritual and physical individual growth.
      When you say the elements are "called on", do you mean by using a form of words? And could you say what you mean by "balancing the quarters"?

I'm new to paganism so I'm not familiar with the language and jargon.
      Once a man, like the sea I raged;
      Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
      And there is in fact more earth than sea.
      Genesis lyric

Comment

Sorry about the bad day, Thalassa. Hope it gets better.

DragonsFriend, you probably know more than me about the Chinese elements. To be honest, I really didn't go deep into the philosophy of Feng Shui. It was more about liking the design principles.I already had ideas about the elements, and incorporated the Feng Shui ideas into my existing framework. I think that concentrating on the elements so much and making deeply thought out physical changes to my environment is why my intentions manifested so powerfully.

Thinking of the elements as a process or cycle fits in just fine with my personal framework.YMMV

To answer the question of how I use the elements, it is sort of thinking about what they mean to me with special focus and attempting to balance them in my life. In this case, I was trying to create a balanced and pleasing physical environment and ended up focusing on a balanced and pleasant life. I did do a spell similar to the kind you see in spellbooks, but I think the whole process was a kind of spell.

Sometimes when I hear people talk about spiritual or element work I think of a traditional work place with cubicles, or out building something. I have such pre-existing ideas about work, that I get a little off track. I think it is a little different for each of us. To me, it is some practical material work such as cleaning the house, or planting a garden, or working hard at a job. It involves paying attention to the world around me. It is also some prayer or meditative work involving focused intentions. I use a lot of imagination an visualization.To me, this feels largely metaphorical. To others, I think it feels more literal. I don't want to try to speak for anyone else.

Metaphorical or not, it does seem to have real outcome.

Comment

Is it your Bday...Well,Bdays can be good or bad...mine is good because I am still kicking,that will be in Feb 2016..69 if you wondered.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

When you say the elements are "called on", do you mean by using a form of words? And could you say what you mean by "balancing the quarters"?

I'm new to paganism so I'm not familiar with the language and jargon.
            In Arratu there are two processes that go on in calling the the elements; The person calling the Quarter Guardian does so quietly with the name, sigil and personal identification they have received in meditation with that guardian of that element. At the same time the group calls the guardian of that element by the "common" name and using the common aspects for the element. Unlike some traditions who call the specific aspects that they wish to use, and in doing so balance the elements in circle, in Arratu the elemental aspects that will be used in our work are balanced before the ritual by the high priest communing with each of the elements before the ritual begins to be sure that the properties brought into the temple are in balance with each other and with the focus of the ritual. Each element is represented on either the main altar or at perimeter altars located at the cardinal directions as well and there is a lamp that is lit as the Guardians enter into the temple.

Here is an example of two of the quarter calls:
            East, the calleraddresses the Guardian silently as the circle calls out:
            "We, of the Temple of Water and Stone, Whose deity is Enlil (ayn-lil), call on Lililatu (lee-lee-law-too) the Guardian of the East, keeper of the inspiration of life; enter this space and join our rite."
            The east candle is lit.
            Caller responds:

South, the calleraddresses the Guardian silently as the circle calls out:
            " We, of the Temple of Water and Stone, Whose deity is Enlil (ayn-lil), call on Isatu (ee-saw-too) the Guardian of the South, keeper of the fires of life, enter this space and join our rite."
            The south candle is lit.
            Caller responds:I hope that helps you understand better.
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've been asking around and researching further, and I think for the time being I'm going to stick to a fairly naturalistic approach, partly because it's what I'm familiar with in a Buddhist context. My appreciation and understanding of the elements has certainly broadened out though.
              Once a man, like the sea I raged;
              Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
              And there is in fact more earth than sea.
              Genesis lyric

Comment

Working...
              X