View Poll Results: Do you incorporate bioregionalism into your practices or beliefs?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

10 43.48%
  • no

4 17.39%
  • sometimes

7 30.43%
  • huh?

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your practice bioregional?

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

Re: Is your practice bioregional?

Rae'ya's detailed explanation, unless I am completely mistaken, has helped me conclude that my beliefs are and intended practices will be bioregional.

I live half an hour from the white horse of Uffington and that for me makes the natural chalk upon which this whole area of the south downs immensely important. I live in a coppiced area, so I have really come to appreciate hazel which has become a significant 'ingredient' in the construction of my shrine. Chalk here goes hand in hand with flint which I am learning to knap to make offerings of axe heads and arrow heads, which follows my magnetism towards the Neolithic (along with the Bronze age). My town is also connected to Thatcham, possibly the oldest continuously inhabited place in the UK, since the Mesolithic. I have started picking and learning herbs that grow well in this region, particularly mugwort, frithwort (my name for St John's wort), yarrow, barley, lowland juniper and meadowsweet. These are the sorts of plants I intend to use for my practice. I don't really want to order in herbs that have no place here. Bundles of mugwort should have the same effect as bundles of sage for purification.

I'm harvesting clay from the woodland outside my parents house so my wife and I can make ceramics in the grooved ware and beaker pottery style, and I also want to make incenses from these native plants. Sure, nag champa smells nice but it jars. I can use resin from Scots pine (which ironically grows here, not in Scotland really) to make it.

In my practice I intend to venerate, offer to, and give thanks to ground below me which nourishes not just me, but all the life of this region which grows respectfully. Furthermore to those who tilled the land. I do intend to incorporate foreign veneration due to my Danish and Polish roots, neither of which lived here, but without whose hard work I wouldn't exist.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure this constitutes bioregionalism.
    Last edited by Briton; 09 Aug 2016 at 23:06.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by Briton View Post
    My town is also connected to Thatcham, possibly the oldest continuously inhabited place in the UK, since the Mesolithic. I have started picking and learning herbs that grow well in this region, particularly mugwort, frithwort (my name for St John's wort), yarrow, barley, lowland juniper and meadowsweet. .
    (My highlight)

No one ever talks about 'spirit plants', always 'spirit animals', yet I do have plants amongst my ever growing mob of imaginary friends. Mugwort is one of my main pals from the floral realm. Other than Oak, Mugwort is so far the only plant I've worked with that speaks to me verbally. Other plants give me images or feelings, but don't engage me in small-talk. Oak will speak in words, but has a formal and somewhat regal style. He speaks, but only when there is something he needs me to know. Mugwort on the other hand is very friendly and down-to-earth. He will talk to me all the way home if I've gone out to collect some, and keep talking whether I answer or not. It's as though he has a vested interest in mankind and especially our creative and magical arts. I currently have a mugwort plant on my kitchen windowsill called Morgan that I've been taking photos of and may, depending on the outcome, be blogging about at some point when the current saga has concluded.

Aaanyway.. I agree that mugwort makes a fabulous alternative to sage (sage was at one time also one of my 'spirit plants'), although in my experience, while both will purify the area, the atmosphere left is quite different between the two. Mugwort feels more magical and transformative, while sage feels more grounding and healing. I'd be very much interested in hearing about your own experiences once you start working with mugwort.

Oh and mugwort seeds are ready to collect up here at around samhain. It might be a little sooner for you. The plants are flowering at the moment but they're considered a weed so if you want to you can find a nice established plant and dig it up roots and all and transplant it in your garden. In my experience it's quite happy for you to do this, but if you think about it but either physically can't (as in, its roots are under pathing slabs <-personal experience), or forget, it has a weird way of making you!

Oh and if you're using in tea, try mixing with chamomile. I just use supermarket tea bags, but you will probably be able to locate it wild in your area if you prefer that, we have it here but it seems to do better when we have hotter summers and it's warmer generally in your part of the island so I daresay it grows better there. I won't say why in case I influence your experience. Just try it with and without the chamomile and see if you notice a difference.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I put sometimes.

More by accident than by design.

It is something I'd like to explore and incorporate more into my practice, though. I've recently moved to this area so I haven't done much local exploration yet, but it is on my to do list

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

There are bio-regional influences and aspects of my practice but the deities, celebrations and personal techniques would not change even if I was to move to Mars. There would be lunar and solar celebrations, my deities would be the same, the elements would still be there,and my practices would continue. If I lived in a place that had no seasonal changes I would still follow the progress of the year and my life. I would still work in partnership with my deities. It would be different but it would be the same internally.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.