Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas on a Budget

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Christmas on a Budget

I figure we're all a broke lot, so let's discuss doing Christmas (or Yuletide, if that's yo thing) on a budget.

I won't be going home for Christmas (because I never do), so I have to come up with some cheap but thoughtful gifts to mail home to close friends and family.

My usuals are:
    - A metric ton of cookies. Gingersnap, thumbprint, shortbread, etc.
    - This year my mom mailed me some bulk beeswax. So I am going to do a batch of drip candles.
    - I am about 1/100000th the way through a complex cross-stitch for friends. This may not end up being a Christmas present if I don't get it finished in time.
    - infused liquors

What do you guys do? (aka plz give me suggestions, haha)
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

Re: Christmas on a Budget

The kids get gifts, usually gift cards now a days. For adults and coworkers, I do a mug from the dollar store. I get a good box of cocoa and slip the packets between people. Cookies, pumpkin roll. This year they all get homemade vanilla extract.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I'm also a fan of making things. I usually spend the couple of weeks leading up to christmas sewing or crocheting. This year, it will be quilted pot holders. Quilted pot holders for everyone!

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

As you said 8m pretty broke this year, and last year, and the year before .. lol. Anyway, last year I made everyone a set of 4 seasonally scented candles: cinnamon, pine, cranberry, and peppermint. This year, I'm going to make a little basket of muffins, cookies, and a handmade ornament. I've got the top from an old glass table that I'm going to smash, grind down the sharp edges on the hand sized pieces, then paint things like snowflakes and pinecones on the glass.
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

I'm not too broke, but I like making gifts (and saving money. Don't really feel like going broke).
    Our families will be getting stuff for the kitchen mostly - we got a lot of gifts certificates for various kitchen stores after the wedding that we really don't know what to use for. I did buy something for my sis in law, but I'm also making her boxes of bertie blotts every flavour beans and chocolate frogs, candy is cheap and I found free templates online, perfect for geeks and kids.
    A few of my friends are getting homemade jewelry, I'm making some wire wrap tree of life pendants, bought wire cheap, have lots of beads and stuff lying around. I made some earings too
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

I Love making the infused liquors. Thats one we haven't done in a while. So lets see.

-jams and jellies in cute little jars.
    -dry mix of cookies in jars
    -photo collage on canvas. you can get canvas super cheap at a craft store and then print out pics on reg paper and mog pog them bad boys and gloss.
    -candle light supper. so my family is LARGE and gifts are hard to buy for everyone so we look for funny cheap things. One year my aunt bought a ton of cheap candles and holders, and then easy one pot food like instant ramen and gave those to the adults. I found it hilarious, and loved it.

I need to think some more. Mom makes scarves, hats pot holders.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    I Love making the infused liquors. Thats one we haven't done in a while. So lets see.

-jams and jellies in cute little jars.
    -dry mix of cookies in jars
    -photo collage on canvas. you can get canvas super cheap at a craft store and then print out pics on reg paper and mog pog them bad boys and gloss.
    -candle light supper. so my family is LARGE and gifts are hard to buy for everyone so we look for funny cheap things. One year my aunt bought a ton of cheap candles and holders, and then easy one pot food like instant ramen and gave those to the adults. I found it hilarious, and loved it.

I need to think some more. Mom makes scarves, hats pot holders.
    Oh, dry mix cookies in a jar! I totally forgot about that one. It looks great when done right!

...and I'm now going to steal your candlelit dinner idea. All my best friends are going to get tealights and ramen, haha!

What kind of infused liquors do you make? I've made a few, but my favourites were cherry bourbon and apple pie vodka.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Oh oh oh ornaments for the tree are always fun. I like the peppermint candy ones like this

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/easy...int-ornamints/

or gingerbread ornaments. they smell great too.

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2011...ornaments.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Oh, dry mix cookies in a jar! I totally forgot about that one. It looks great when done right!

...and I'm now going to steal your candlelit dinner idea. All my best friends are going to get tealights and ramen, haha!

What kind of infused liquors do you make? I've made a few, but my favourites were cherry bourbon and apple pie vodka.
    Lets see we did a black pepper vodka(good for bloody marys)
    papaya vodka
    carrot vodka
    oolong tea vodka
    lemongrass vodka
    opal basil vodka
    kaffir lime vodka
    peach vodka
    pear gin
    bacon bourbon( that was for my pastry chef)

the fruit ones we tried with dried fruits instead of fresh fruits. The pineapple wasn't as strong as I wanted so if I make them again I would probably try frest pineapple maybe just the core. I really like carrot juice and with pineapple its freakin amazing which is where I got the idea for carrot vodka.

The cherry bourbon sounds great and I love apple pie, how did you make that one?
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Depending on how young the kids are, you can find stuff at the dollar store. Or, take them and tell them they can pick out five things (so, five dollars). A lot of younger kids would probably love that.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Ahh the joys of atheism.

I buy me something.
    Satan is my spirit animal