This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas on a Budget

I figure we're all a broke lot, so let's discuss doing Christmas (or Yuletide, if that's yo thing) on a budget.

I won't be going home for Christmas (because I never do), so I have to come up with some cheap but thoughtful gifts to mail home to close friends and family.

My usuals are:
    - A metric ton of cookies. Gingersnap, thumbprint, shortbread, etc.
    - This year my mom mailed me some bulk beeswax. So I am going to do a batch of drip candles.
    - I am about 1/100000th the way through a complex cross-stitch for friends. This may not end up being a Christmas present if I don't get it finished in time.
    - infused liquors

What do you guys do? (aka plz give me suggestions, haha)

Mostly art.

Re: Christmas on a Budget

The kids get gifts, usually gift cards now a days. For adults and coworkers, I do a mug from the dollar store. I get a good box of cocoa and slip the packets between people. Cookies, pumpkin roll. This year they all get homemade vanilla extract.

Comment

I'm also a fan of making things. I usually spend the couple of weeks leading up to christmas sewing or crocheting. This year, it will be quilted pot holders. Quilted pot holders for everyone!

Comment

As you said 8m pretty broke this year, and last year, and the year before .. lol. Anyway, last year I made everyone a set of 4 seasonally scented candles: cinnamon, pine, cranberry, and peppermint. This year, I'm going to make a little basket of muffins, cookies, and a handmade ornament. I've got the top from an old glass table that I'm going to smash, grind down the sharp edges on the hand sized pieces, then paint things like snowflakes and pinecones on the glass.

Comment

I'm not too broke, but I like making gifts (and saving money. Don't really feel like going broke).
          Our families will be getting stuff for the kitchen mostly - we got a lot of gifts certificates for various kitchen stores after the wedding that we really don't know what to use for. I did buy something for my sis in law, but I'm also making her boxes of bertie blotts every flavour beans and chocolate frogs, candy is cheap and I found free templates online, perfect for geeks and kids.
          A few of my friends are getting homemade jewelry, I'm making some wire wrap tree of life pendants, bought wire cheap, have lots of beads and stuff lying around. I made some earings too
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I Love making the infused liquors. Thats one we haven't done in a while. So lets see.

-jams and jellies in cute little jars.
            -dry mix of cookies in jars
            -photo collage on canvas. you can get canvas super cheap at a craft store and then print out pics on reg paper and mog pog them bad boys and gloss.
            -candle light supper. so my family is LARGE and gifts are hard to buy for everyone so we look for funny cheap things. One year my aunt bought a ton of cheap candles and holders, and then easy one pot food like instant ramen and gave those to the adults. I found it hilarious, and loved it.

I need to think some more. Mom makes scarves, hats pot holders.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
              I Love making the infused liquors. Thats one we haven't done in a while. So lets see.

-jams and jellies in cute little jars.
              -dry mix of cookies in jars
              -photo collage on canvas. you can get canvas super cheap at a craft store and then print out pics on reg paper and mog pog them bad boys and gloss.
              -candle light supper. so my family is LARGE and gifts are hard to buy for everyone so we look for funny cheap things. One year my aunt bought a ton of cheap candles and holders, and then easy one pot food like instant ramen and gave those to the adults. I found it hilarious, and loved it.

I need to think some more. Mom makes scarves, hats pot holders.
              Oh, dry mix cookies in a jar! I totally forgot about that one. It looks great when done right!

...and I'm now going to steal your candlelit dinner idea. All my best friends are going to get tealights and ramen, haha!

What kind of infused liquors do you make? I've made a few, but my favourites were cherry bourbon and apple pie vodka.

Mostly art.

Comment

Oh oh oh ornaments for the tree are always fun. I like the peppermint candy ones like this

or gingerbread ornaments. they smell great too.

WordPress.com is the best place for your personal blog or business site.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                Oh, dry mix cookies in a jar! I totally forgot about that one. It looks great when done right!

...and I'm now going to steal your candlelit dinner idea. All my best friends are going to get tealights and ramen, haha!

What kind of infused liquors do you make? I've made a few, but my favourites were cherry bourbon and apple pie vodka.
                Lets see we did a black pepper vodka(good for bloody marys)
                papaya vodka
                carrot vodka
                oolong tea vodka
                lemongrass vodka
                opal basil vodka
                kaffir lime vodka
                peach vodka
                pear gin
                bacon bourbon( that was for my pastry chef)

the fruit ones we tried with dried fruits instead of fresh fruits. The pineapple wasn't as strong as I wanted so if I make them again I would probably try frest pineapple maybe just the core. I really like carrot juice and with pineapple its freakin amazing which is where I got the idea for carrot vodka.

The cherry bourbon sounds great and I love apple pie, how did you make that one?
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

Depending on how young the kids are, you can find stuff at the dollar store. Or, take them and tell them they can pick out five things (so, five dollars). A lot of younger kids would probably love that.
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Ahh the joys of atheism.

I buy me something.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                      Oh oh oh ornaments for the tree are always fun. I like the peppermint candy ones like this

or gingerbread ornaments. they smell great too.

WordPress.com is the best place for your personal blog or business site.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets see we did a black pepper vodka(good for bloody marys)
                      papaya vodka
                      carrot vodka
                      oolong tea vodka
                      lemongrass vodka
                      opal basil vodka
                      kaffir lime vodka
                      peach vodka
                      pear gin
                      bacon bourbon( that was for my pastry chef)

the fruit ones we tried with dried fruits instead of fresh fruits. The pineapple wasn't as strong as I wanted so if I make them again I would probably try frest pineapple maybe just the core. I really like carrot juice and with pineapple its freakin amazing which is where I got the idea for carrot vodka.

The cherry bourbon sounds great and I love apple pie, how did you make that one?
                      How did you make bacon bourbon work? Fats and alcohols don't mix in solution.

Apple pie vodka was: chop apples thinly sliced into a mason jar. Cover with vodka. I think I shook it once per day for...four weeks? Afterwards, strain vodka, and then create a caramel simple syrup. Combine at 25% (or to desired sweetness). Tasted like candy apples.

Mostly art.

Comment

My son is the only person in my Christmas budget. But, hes also 2 1/2 so theres not much he needs for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                          My son is the only person in my Christmas budget. But, hes also 2 1/2 so theres not much he needs for Christmas.
                          ...you have a son?! I somehow missed this.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                          Ahh the joys of atheism.

I buy me something.
                          Also atheist. Still celebrate Christmas. Suck it.

Mostly art.

Comment

The kids are making potholders and perler bead snowflakes for grandparents. I also do tea blends and bath salts and salve sets, crochet scarves and hats and fingerless mitts, sewn bags (I'm working on a complete set of reusable cloth bags and "wrapping paper"), random recycled crafts, etc.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              How did you make bacon bourbon work? Fats and alcohols don't mix in solution.

Apple pie vodka was: chop apples thinly sliced into a mason jar. Cover with vodka. I think I shook it once per day for...four weeks? Afterwards, strain vodka, and then create a caramel simple syrup. Combine at 25% (or to desired sweetness). Tasted like candy apples.
                              So dice up your bacon and cook it till crispy, not burned though. Add all of it to the bourbon and leave for a month. Shaking once a day. At the end of the month put it in the frig and the fat solidifies and strain with a few coffee filters to strain the fat and bacon pieces.

Will be making apple pie vodka

Comment

Working...
                              X