Thread: Christmas on a Budget

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Re: Christmas on a Budget

Quote Originally Posted by kalynraye View Post
    Oh oh oh ornaments for the tree are always fun. I like the peppermint candy ones like this

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/easy...int-ornamints/

or gingerbread ornaments. they smell great too.

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2011...ornaments.html

- - - Updated - - -

Lets see we did a black pepper vodka(good for bloody marys)
    papaya vodka
    carrot vodka
    oolong tea vodka
    lemongrass vodka
    opal basil vodka
    kaffir lime vodka
    peach vodka
    pear gin
    bacon bourbon( that was for my pastry chef)

the fruit ones we tried with dried fruits instead of fresh fruits. The pineapple wasn't as strong as I wanted so if I make them again I would probably try frest pineapple maybe just the core. I really like carrot juice and with pineapple its freakin amazing which is where I got the idea for carrot vodka.

The cherry bourbon sounds great and I love apple pie, how did you make that one?
    How did you make bacon bourbon work? Fats and alcohols don't mix in solution.

Apple pie vodka was: chop apples thinly sliced into a mason jar. Cover with vodka. I think I shook it once per day for...four weeks? Afterwards, strain vodka, and then create a caramel simple syrup. Combine at 25% (or to desired sweetness). Tasted like candy apples.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

My son is the only person in my Christmas budget. But, hes also 2 1/2 so theres not much he needs for Christmas.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    My son is the only person in my Christmas budget. But, hes also 2 1/2 so theres not much he needs for Christmas.
    ...you have a son?! I somehow missed this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Ahh the joys of atheism.

I buy me something.
    Also atheist. Still celebrate Christmas. Suck it.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

The kids are making potholders and perler bead snowflakes for grandparents. I also do tea blends and bath salts and salve sets, crochet scarves and hats and fingerless mitts, sewn bags (I'm working on a complete set of reusable cloth bags and "wrapping paper"), random recycled crafts, etc.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    How did you make bacon bourbon work? Fats and alcohols don't mix in solution.

Apple pie vodka was: chop apples thinly sliced into a mason jar. Cover with vodka. I think I shook it once per day for...four weeks? Afterwards, strain vodka, and then create a caramel simple syrup. Combine at 25% (or to desired sweetness). Tasted like candy apples.
    So dice up your bacon and cook it till crispy, not burned though. Add all of it to the bourbon and leave for a month. Shaking once a day. At the end of the month put it in the frig and the fat solidifies and strain with a few coffee filters to strain the fat and bacon pieces.

Will be making apple pie vodka
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I celebrate all the good stuff. But I don't buy presents. I eat all the foods. Drink all the drinks. Watch all the claymation cartoons. Only when I had my mom did I buy her gifts. Other than that I usually just pick something to buy meeeee!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Indeed, his name is Jean-Luc.

15894_10203778935061087_1148262268832079977_n.jpg

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Hahah yeah. I'm not atheist, but almost all of my friends and family are (those that aren't are agnostic). Every single one of them still celebrates Christmas and exchanges gifts.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Well, apple pie bourbon and mint bourbon have been started. Cherry bourbon is on the docket for later tonight when the boy brings me over some cherries from his freezer.

And I made peppermint sugar scrub and lemon sugar scrubs last night.

Today I went out and got a few little things:
    - children's book for the best friend's daughter
    - some xmas fabric to sew handwarmers with (plus a big bag of rice)
    - flavoured hot chocolate stocking stuffer type things. $1 each, and my family dies for them
    - some random snacks to toss in there

I really should sit down with a list of who is getting what. So far, I just have a list of who I'd like to gift things to, and then a giant list of homemade things I want to make. I should consolidate the two.

Mostly art.

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

So KP has decided he wants to do handmade gifts this year and I don't know what to make him. As I said before I'm not very crafty and though we like make food items and liquor for other people its really not something I want to make for him. So please keep the ideas coming.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect