Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion on editing human DNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your opinion on editing human DNA?

Wait is this discussion about editing existing DNA (which I'm pretty sure you can't do) or editing the DNA of a potential child via IVF? The reason I ask is because as someone with genetic disorders, if there were a way to spare my future children of having any chance of inheriting my disorders, I would do anything to provide that, and have children of my own someday.
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Judging by half the wakadoo responses just on this thread..we really need to stop fiddling with things before we create something we will surely regret.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
        Wait is this discussion about editing existing DNA (which I'm pretty sure you can't do) or editing the DNA of a potential child via IVF?
        At this point, its the latter, though I think we closer than the general public realizes to the former.

Crispr can work on any individual cell type, though its not good (yet) at targeting the desired gene in an entire embryo...but I think its only a matter of time before we figure out how to precisely insert genes into the cells in an entire body or an affected organ.

Some articles on the technique and its implications, for those that want to know about the future of humanity:

Editing DNA is now cut-and-paste. We could eliminate disease, cure hunger—or break the world.

It's a scenario that has haunted biologists since the dawn of the DNA age: the evil scientist custom-crafting a human being with test tubes and Petri dishes.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

This is pretty cool too - I heard about it on Science Friday:

Center for PostNatural History
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

GATTACA, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              GATTACA, anyone?
              Brilliant film!
              Once a man, like the sea I raged;
              Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
              And there is in fact more earth than sea.
              Genesis lyric

Comment

This is a can of worms humanity isn't ready for yet.

We're just too immature as a species- how long before someone comes up with an idea to "Standardize the human population" in the interests of peace ect? If human diversity ends or is reduced by this than bye bye human race.

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post
                  This is a can of worms humanity isn't ready for yet.
                  Ready or not, here we go!

Wheeeeeeeeeeee...

(For those of you who want to try gene editing at home, it is open-source. Here is your gene editing guide.)
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I want super humans and mutants. Everywhere.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I,want my MTV...not the crap version now,but the one with really cool videos!!!!!!!!!!!
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

One of the comments in the source read:
                        GMO humans. I wonder if there will be an opposition movement.
                        The human vs X-Men struggle is the very first thing that came to mind!

Editing genes.. I think I'd like to just keep doing it through natural selection. Saying that humans have been tampering with genetics since we could plant seeds isn't quite the same as tampering with DNA in a lab, especially when it comes to sentient beings. We have a fair amount of control over the destiny of plants and sentient animals even, but the destiny of a human life (eg reproduction) is a thing we lack control over. I think we're in over our heads.

This kind of science is such a good example of light and shadow and the paradox. For the great good is can do, an equal amount of evil could be unleashed.

Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm, wrote a short story on the subject of editing human DNA and made some brilliant commentary on being frightfully perfect, the intrinsic value of life and the beautiful achievements that can be accomplished when making allowances for mistakes and risk-taking. The story is called 'Drum Machine' and it can be found in her anthology 'The Inheritance.' I want to post a couple of spoilers that illustrate the point. So Kalynrae, the spoilers aren't for your eyes!

An essential flashback:
                        Spoiler!

and the last paragraphs that bring it home:

Spoiler!

Comment

IMHO - no matter how it goes, there will be elements of humanity who chose not to do it, just as there are Amish, who chose not to engage in current technology.

There will be differentiation, and who will be "right," and who will be "wrong" will be sorted out by future history. "History," as Neitzsche wrote, "will judge."

Comment

They messed around with Wolvie's body. Taking advantage of his mutation to pretty much withstand an Ebola chocolate shake with a side of zombie virus. They made a weapon out of him. You know the military will swoop on down for this.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                              Brilliant film!
                              Thanks, watched it last night. It was good, but got lost, I thought his better brother drown somehow... And he didn't know his dad was taking urine samples ??? Still I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                                I want super humans and mutants. Everywhere.
                                Mutant and proud!
                                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                                X