Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on editing human DNA?

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic pagan (primary influences of Hinduism, Wicca, and Animism)

Re: What is your opinion on editing human DNA?

Maybe if we engineer all of our children to be intelligent, the USA will stop having such low test scores. Though we'll likely then have troubles with drug use and market oversaturation. Meh. I don't think the republican party is going to be in favor of letting us genetically alter humans anytime soon. Or the democratic party. Or the green party. Maybe the libertarians.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I think we should engineer politicians so they stop shoving stupid tests down kid's throats.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    Maybe if we engineer all of our children to be intelligent, the USA will stop having such low test scores. Though we'll likely then have troubles with drug use and market oversaturation. Meh. I don't think the republican party is going to be in favor of letting us genetically alter humans anytime soon. Or the democratic party. Or the green party. Maybe the libertarians.
    We'd probably have smarter kids if there was more money allocated to schools and an emphasis on education.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic pagan (primary influences of Hinduism, Wicca, and Animism)

Or just start firing bad teachers. There's that option.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I myself think public officials need to focus on the public good,and much less on their political advantage that make them make decisions based on politics rather than what is right and good for the kids.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

May 2013
    Religion
    Eclectic Wicca
    Aboard the Tardis in the Narnia of Tattoine
    Phrase
    Veni Vidi Vici

Wait is this discussion about editing existing DNA (which I'm pretty sure you can't do) or editing the DNA of a potential child via IVF? The reason I ask is because as someone with genetic disorders, if there were a way to spare my future children of having any chance of inheriting my disorders, I would do anything to provide that, and have children of my own someday.
    A Happy Little Wiccan

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Judging by half the wakadoo responses just on this thread..we really need to stop fiddling with things before we create something we will surely regret.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Serria View Post
    Wait is this discussion about editing existing DNA (which I'm pretty sure you can't do) or editing the DNA of a potential child via IVF?
    At this point, its the latter, though I think we closer than the general public realizes to the former.

Crispr can work on any individual cell type, though its not good (yet) at targeting the desired gene in an entire embryo...but I think its only a matter of time before we figure out how to precisely insert genes into the cells in an entire body or an affected organ.

Some articles on the technique and its implications, for those that want to know about the future of humanity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/us...ting.html?_r=0

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/crispr-dna-editing-2/

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sc...503-story.html
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

This is pretty cool too - I heard about it on Science Friday:

Center for PostNatural History
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

GATTACA, anyone?
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning