Juvenile offenders & life sentances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juvenile offenders & life sentances

When should under-age offenders get life?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Juvenile offenders & life sentances

For deliberate heinous offenses, like murder or rape, but I'm kind of hazy on what age that should start. I don't think a six-year-old has the full capacity to understand that he killed something.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Depends on the crime and the age and understanding. Surely a 6 year old who accidentally shoots his friend in the head, I'd bust those parents.

A 16 year old opening up a gun arcade upon a bunch of kids in school? Death for joo.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I think that a child and a teen should be tried as an adult and should get the same punishable treatment just like an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          I think that a child and a teen should be tried as an adult and should get the same punishable treatment just like an adult.
          Again, let's go with the six year old. Say he picked up a gun and shot his brother because he thought it was a toy. He didn't have the capacity to understand what he did. How could he possibly be tried as an adult?

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree. A child could commit a crime and not know what he/she was doing was wrong. Isn't just black and white with every case.
            "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

You got a point there Haballah and EndlessCraving. But what if the child was a genius and fully understand what he/she did? That's the first step of becoming a sociopath.

Comment

You got a point there Haballah and EndlessCraving. But what if the child was a genius and fully understand what he/she did? That's the first step of becoming a sociopath.
                Sociopaths are rarely created (as in, becoming a sociopath), but are largely genetic. Environment can bring out out the symptoms young, and can occasionally cause the condition, but it's much rarer (75% genetic vs 25% created). Regardless, if a child is fully aware and intentional, that's another story entirely. But then it becomes a matter of "is this child treatable? Can they be rehabilitated before they're an adult?".

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Lol...what? It's pretty obvious if a child is a sociopath. Hopefully the parent paid attention to that child, because if he/she was a sociopath they would know. And I fail to see how that's the first step of becoming a sociopath. Lmao. Sociopathy is developed through trauma. I'd like for you to expand on that sociopath comment because now you've caught my interest.
                  "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    When should under-age offenders get life?
                    Life or life w/o possibility of parole? Granted, I don't really have a set position on either one yet but since life sentences come in multiple shapes and sizes, might as well specify which.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      Life or life w/o possibility of parole? Granted, I don't really have a set position on either one yet but since life sentences come in multiple shapes and sizes, might as well specify which.
                      I agree. There should be some specifics

Comment

Here are some exceptions in this matter: Babies from 0-2 years old. They never committed a crime because they don't have the brain power to fully understand what's going on. They don't how to commit a serious crime. So that's the only exception that I'll oppose to give them a life sentence. Anyway about sociopaths if it was possible that would be a miracle and the first to be reform but I don't it's possible to ever cure them.

Comment

Here are some exceptions in this matter: Babies from 0-2 years old. They never committed a crime because they don't have the brain power to fully understand what's going on. They don't how to commit a serious crime. So that's the only exception that I'll oppose to give them a life sentence. Anyway about sociopaths if it was possible that would be a miracle and the first to be reform but I don't it's possible to ever cure them.
                          There is supposed to be a treatment for ASPD(Sociopathy and Psychopathy) but not a lot of Sociopaths take the treatment. And what miracle are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by bartmanhomer
                            Here are some exceptions in this matter: Babies from 0-2 years old. They never committed a crime because they don't have the brain power to fully understand what's going on. They don't how to commit a serious crime. So that's the only exception that I'll oppose to give them a life sentence.
                            Your brain doesn't really complete forming and "formatting" until you're in your early twenties. Three-year olds-often can't tie their own shoes, catch an object thrown to them, or use the bathroom by themselves, but they have the capacity to willingly commit murder? Many children aren't even able to begin understanding the difference between fantasy and reality until the age of five. Under your definition, a four-year-old should be held accountable to the standards of an adult.

Anyway about sociopaths if it was possible that would be a miracle and the first to be reform but I don't it's possible to ever cure them.
                            Most mental illnesses aren't curable; only treatable. But that's assuming that everyone who commits murder is a sociopath, which is statistically impossible. People kill for wide variety of reasons, and that, unfortunately, includes minors as well. There is no reason why a minor, especially a very young one, shouldn't go through every possible treatment option.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                              Your brain doesn't really complete forming and "formatting" until you're in your early twenties. Three-year olds-often can't tie their own shoes, catch an object thrown to them, or use the bathroom by themselves, but they have the capacity to willingly commit murder? Many children aren't even able to begin understanding the difference between fantasy and reality until the age of five. Under your definition, a four-year-old should be held accountable to the standards of an adult.

Most mental illnesses aren't curable; only treatable. But that's assuming that everyone who commits murder is a sociopath, which is statistically impossible. People kill for wide variety of reasons, and that, unfortunately, includes minors as well. There is no reason why a minor, especially a very young one, shouldn't go through every possible treatment option.
                              Yep, Habbs. People with ASPD(Sociopathy and Psychopathy) are kinda rare. 1% of the population are psychopaths and 4% are sociopaths. It's all based on a spectrum, like any other personality disorder. You made a nice point, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X