Before I Try Scrying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I Try Scrying

I bought a small mirror to try scrying, but I haven't started yet. I've been reading about a lot of different methods: you have to paint the mirror black, you have to have the mirror in the frame, you have to dress the mirror in an oil, you have to cast a circle around yourself.

Obviously, everyone's experiences are different, but I wanted to ask for tips and warnings before I try.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Before I Try Scrying

Why a mirror? Natural puddles tend to be best for that sort of thing, in my opinion. Or just still water in general.

If you want to use the mirror, you can always just use it while it's in water. Or just mist it. Anything involving water, honestly.

Comment

I've never felt any pull towards natural puddles or bowls of water. I may try that in the future, but I have the mirror, and I would like to try that first.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Black mirror scrying is a central feature of my practice for 15+ years. I'm happy to share my thoughts. I'll start with just a few ideas though, and you can ask me more specific questions if you have them and care to hear more from me. Otherwise, I would just go on and on. I have a website with a few relevant essays on it, but they're all in need of revision, so I'd rather just talk about it here.

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
        I bought a small mirror to try scrying, but I haven't started yet. I've been reading about a lot of different methods: you have to paint the mirror black, you have to have the mirror in the frame, you have to dress the mirror in an oil, you have to cast a circle around yourself.
        Typically, people start with a picture frame that has a clear glass cover, and you paint the backside of the glass with many coats of flat black spray paint, allowing full drying time between coats. When placed back in the frame, unpainted side out, you get a nice, black glossy look that renders a soft, somewhat indistinct reflection of your face while gazing into it. The facial reflection, for the technique I use, starts with your own facial reflection, when then morphs into a communicative other experience.

I'm not sure what you read about dressing the mirror with oil, but from my experience that's more of a personal preference based on how one does magick in general than it is a requirement for good results. It really depends on what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Circle casting is a matter of personal preference too, in my opinion. If that's how you practice magick in general then it makes sense to use it for this kind of magick too. If you feel you need to learn how to cast a circle to do this sort of magick safely, I have arguments against that sort of thing if anyone is interested enough to ask.

I'm most studied and practiced in the Facial Reflection-Distortion (FRD) technique that was popularized in modern occult literature by (the late) Donald Michael Kraig in Modern Magick: 11 Lessons in High Magick. The technique he describes was developed for use in modern Evocation (of the spirits of the Lemegeton in particular) by Carroll "Poke" Runyon and Nelson White in late 1960's in conjunction with the initiatory order they found founded, called Ordo Templi Astarte (OTA). There's a colorful history around the publication and distribution of the method, and the characters involved if anyone is interested in that.

Generally, I advise that the visual effects produced by the technique are fundamentally a function of eye physiology and some standard perceptual dynamics. As such, the visual effects aren't themselves the magick part of the operation (though they are often quite stunning). Rather, the visual effect is a tool, a medium through with a two-way communication experience can be fostered. So the real magick is in getting something meaningful to communication with you. That's more to do with your preparation for a magick operation than it has to do with the mirror.

I'll leave it at that for now, but welcome comment or further questions.

Comment

Thank you, Eugene. I appreciate it.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Scrying can make use of anything, Habbalah. Gaze into the coals, look at the clouds, doodle with a pencil... but above all relax and treat it as something to be enjoyed and not endured.

It pays to be creative. Renaissance painters sometimes went to local hospices and stared (I kid you not) at the patterns of phlegm coughed up by terminally ill patients on the walls.They used these as a basis for studies of animals, faces etc., which shows a rather inventive method of scrying for inspiration if nothing else.

I wouldn't recommend you use phlegm or faeces or anything like that, but it's amazing what you can see once you allow yourself to really look.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Mrs. P, I didn't know that about phlegm, and I'm kind of glad I wasn't eating when I read it. I'm not asking if this method is correct; more things I should be aware of and precautions I should take.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Mrs. P, I didn't know that about phlegm, and I'm kind of glad I wasn't eating when I read it. I'm not asking if this method is correct; more things I should be aware of and precautions I should take.
                Well, if you're going to use phlegm, maybe carry a handkerchief...
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  Well, if you're going to use phlegm, maybe carry a handkerchief...
                  Winter is coming fast. Soon, I will have all the phlegm I could want!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Scry me a river...Sorry even before I hit "Post"
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Winter is coming fast. Soon, I will have all the phlegm I could want!
                      Here, want some of mine? But otherwise, I suppose not using water is fine. But if not, you might want to try slathering the mirror in a mixture of vinegar and oil, before staring at it and contemplating.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        Scrying can make use of anything, Habbalah. Gaze into the coals, look at the clouds, doodle with a pencil... but above all relax and treat it as something to be enjoyed and not endured.

It pays to be creative. Renaissance painters sometimes went to local hospices and stared (I kid you not) at the patterns of phlegm coughed up by terminally ill patients on the walls.They used these as a basis for studies of animals, faces etc., which shows a rather inventive method of scrying for inspiration if nothing else.

I wouldn't recommend you use phlegm or faeces or anything like that, but it's amazing what you can see once you allow yourself to really look.
                        Da Vinci wrote that he would gaze at stains on the walls for inspiration. I've tried it, it works.

Now, off to the ER for a glance at the barf!
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X