Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

I'm running my own D&D 3.5 game which I post a separate thread about the game that I'm running if anyone interested.

Comment

Circe

Comment

Hey if you're interested. I'm running mu own D&D 3.5 game. I would love to add you to my game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          Hey if you're interested. I'm running mu own D&D 3.5 game. I would love to add you to my game.
          using what and at what time? I'm in three campaigns right now and going to school so I'm not sure if I can really devote time to it but, I'm never one to outright turn down a campaign invitation.
          Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            using what and at what time? I'm in three campaigns right now and going to school so I'm not sure if I can really devote time to it but, I'm never one to outright turn down a campaign invitation.
            Well if you feel like that your other priorities are important. I'm not going to force you to join if you don't wanted to.

Comment

I have nobody else to tell except my DM, but I'm in the middle of leveling up, and I am SO EXCITED.

Preface: We play 5e, in a campaign my DM and us players have slowly created over 4 years of playing. I've drawn up town maps, other characters have drawn landscape pictures, characters, etc. We've got NPC's that we know and love, and NPC's that we know and...well. We're so meta about this world, that we make meta look meta. Every year, we start over in the world, but with new characters, and our old characters (if still alive) become canon.

This go around, I'm playing a human bard who can't sing, or play a musical instrument. I'm a painter. My name sound suspicious like Bob Ross, and my appearance does too. I'm completely and utterly a sub-optimal character in battle, except in a few key areas where I shine. With Calm Emotions, I utter life anecdotes during battle and calm our opponents. Our ship (this is a seafaring campaign at the moment) is painted with a giant harpy and pirates fear us from a distance. I throw pigments into people's faces and blind them in battle (Colour Spray), and I buff the heck out of my teammates by drawing three full hearts on their chests before initiative.

I'm not always this useful. Sometimes, I skip turns, even at risk of damage to myself and teammates because the sun is setting and I have JUST GOT to capture that on canvas. I'm overloaded with paper and scrolls and empty crab shells and miscellaneous things I've found in our travels because everything is a painter's supply piece if you try hard enough. I walk slower than my other players because of this, and sometimes I just stop to ponder the universe.

BUT - I just got Plant Growth as a spell.

I am now going to literally and figuratively paint happy little trees everywhere.

I'm going to wreck our next session. I can't wait.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                I have nobody else to tell except my DM, but I'm in the middle of leveling up, and I am SO EXCITED.

Preface: We play 5e, in a campaign my DM and us players have slowly created over 4 years of playing. I've drawn up town maps, other characters have drawn landscape pictures, characters, etc. We've got NPC's that we know and love, and NPC's that we know and...well. We're so meta about this world, that we make meta look meta. Every year, we start over in the world, but with new characters, and our old characters (if still alive) become canon.

This go around, I'm playing a human bard who can't sing, or play a musical instrument. I'm a painter. My name sound suspicious like Bob Ross, and my appearance does too. I'm completely and utterly a sub-optimal character in battle, except in a few key areas where I shine. With Calm Emotions, I utter life anecdotes during battle and calm our opponents. Our ship (this is a seafaring campaign at the moment) is painted with a giant harpy and pirates fear us from a distance. I throw pigments into people's faces and blind them in battle (Colour Spray), and I buff the heck out of my teammates by drawing three full hearts on their chests before initiative.

I'm not always this useful. Sometimes, I skip turns, even at risk of damage to myself and teammates because the sun is setting and I have JUST GOT to capture that on canvas. I'm overloaded with paper and scrolls and empty crab shells and miscellaneous things I've found in our travels because everything is a painter's supply piece if you try hard enough. I walk slower than my other players because of this, and sometimes I just stop to ponder the universe.

BUT - I just got Plant Growth as a spell.

I am now going to literally and figuratively paint happy little trees everywhere.

I'm going to wreck our next session. I can't wait.

I feel like this is one of the coolest characters ever. Like, EVER.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I feel like this is one of the coolest characters ever. Like, EVER.
                  Haha thanks. I think she's my favourite character to date. I feel useless sometimes in battle, which really grinds my gears because I'm used to playing rogues, barbarians, and fighters, but other than the odd "how do I do a spell thing?" question that arises still, it's pretty good.

Basically picture a young female, seafaring Bob Ross. Her hair floats around her head in a tangle of curls, she's overladen with countless scrolls and canvas and paints and miscellaneous stuff (including a fishing rod), in a typical fantasy-esque seafaring outfit (white billowy shirt, leather breeches, etc) ...but if you look closely, there's a little paint here, and there, and oh, there too. And she's got a clam shell tattoo.

I mess up the game play using spells sometimes, but I really, really like this character.

Mostly art.

Comment

This sound amazing! I love creative characters, and how they can play out. It's pretty awesome.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                      This sound amazing! I love creative characters, and how they can play out. It's pretty awesome.
                      We're level 5 right now, and I'm currently +9 to persuasion. I can convince just about anyone to do anything by giving them life anecdotes.

...I also love creative characters. I always try with each new character, but honestly, their personality often falls away the longer I play them, as I level up and just focus on being a dirty murder hobo after the loot. Every one of my characters devolves in this fashion.

With this character, I purposely went with this distracted, abstract artist type, in part because it's a lot easier to play a character that shares character traits with you (I can't focus on anything for a long time and it is sometimes detrimental to game play), but also, because if I chose someone that I didn't min/max, I would be able to focus better on the rp.

My DM loves her...which means I've nearly died a half dozen times haha.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        Haha thanks. I think she's my favourite character to date. I feel useless sometimes in battle, which really grinds my gears because I'm used to playing rogues, barbarians, and fighters, but other than the odd "how do I do a spell thing?" question that arises still, it's pretty good.
                        I always wanted to make a naturalist-explorer with a keen interest in toxins (specializing in bugs, botany, fungi, some herpetology, and a knowledge of rocks and soils). Has vasculum, will travel. Maybe off a wizard class, but instead of spells, she'd use a poisonous puffball mushroom to create Poison Spray, squeeze an acid spitting roach for Acid Splash, shake a jar of lightening beetles or phosphorescent algae for Light, etc. Illusions could use some hallucinogenic, etc.; Hideous Laughter could come from a shower of kuru prions taken and distilled from cannibals and injected into brain-eating nematodes delivered by blowpipe; Chromatic Orb could be a series of flasks with different substances. I know people have done alchemists, so this would probably overlap a bit. Druid spells might also be good for this though...like Meld into Stone (a draft of distilled cuttlefish and chameleon essence allowing her to blend so perfectly with the stone as to become it), Giant Insect (release insects treated with growth hormones), or Insect Plague (from painstakingly collecting locusts...and feeding them...in a trap that brakes when smashed).

But, she has absolutely minimal magic, unless it comes from an object...or from her familiar, which she acquires through the rescue of what she thinks is just a regular creature, but actually is intelligent and has magic--but because she has no real magic of her own, they can't communicate until they figure out how to work out a system. She has a hiking stick that she can use as a quarterstaff and a field guide (that she constantly complains about the inadequacy of) instead of a spellbook. Also, she has a random natural ability for distraction...she'll start spouting information at the enemy to momentarily throw them off their game. Problem is, the person closest to her on her side also gets distracted for that same amount of time (unless they have ear plugs in, which could cause its own problems). Like your character she's likely to wander off a bit, but to chase butterflies and press flowers rather than to paint. Also, she spends a lot of time making paper and ink and a lot of money on pins (for her insect collection) and jars.

She's on the lookout for a charmed bit of small diameter line, which is unbreakable and can be used for snares, a garrote, fishing line, etc. and a net for bugs or aquatic things that expands or contracts for whatever you want to catch and hold with it); a field guide that she constantly complains about the inadequacy of, and reeds to make blowpipes. She's working on writing a complete field guide of everything that combines scholarly and folkloric information, as well as practical uses, recipes, etc. but is in search of a magic tome to hold all of this information (a bit like the diary of Tom Riddle) where one could ask the book for information or press the organism or part of the plant, etc. to the pages, and it would pull up the information, which becomes a stack of random parchment and paper and birch bark "scrolls" as she does research.

A bit like the Doctor from ST: Enterprise meets Indiana Jones meets Kate Furbish (a real botanist from the 19th century)...but we got no game afoot, so I just keep pondering.
                        Last edited by thalassa; 21 Dec 2018, 09:34.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Anyone else seen this: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

pretty sweet!

...V, you inspired me to con the hubby into playing (the guys at work play, and he'd been thinking about it...I didn't have to work very hard).
                          Last edited by thalassa; 01 Jan 2019, 16:32.
                          sigpic

Comment

never did the table top,only computer ones
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm playing two new D&D 3.5 games just recently. I'm still playing the Black Shingle Fiasco game as well.

Comment

One of my characters Sarah Diamond (A Neutral Good Female Lesser Drow Wizard) has been inspired by the Page of Pentacles Tarot Card.

Comment

Working...
                                X