Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Celtic_ View Post
    Oh god I'm not sure which my school uses. I googled them, are you talking about the original, advanced, then 1st edition up to 5th edition?

I guess 5th edition since it's the newest however I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're talking about xD

Mind suggesting one for me?
    I'm talking about D&D 3.5 edition. But if you want to start playing the recent edition then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      I'm talking about D&D 3.5 edition. But if you want to start playing the recent edition then go for it.
      I will thanks

Which edition is the most played? I'd prefer to play that one xD

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic_ View Post
        I will thanks

Which edition is the most played? I'd prefer to play that one xD
        I am no expert on the subject BUT if I recall correctly 3.5E is the most popular one, since it is the most complete one and apparently 4E was way too much of a change and people overall had a medocre time transitioning and decided to stay with 3.5E

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
          I am no expert on the subject BUT if I recall correctly 3.5E is the most popular one, since it is the most complete one and apparently 4E was way too much of a change and people overall had a medocre time transitioning and decided to stay with 3.5E

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
          I'm not sure but most D&D players play D&D 5th edition which is very popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
            I'm not sure but most D&D players play D&D 5th edition which is very popular.
            5E is the most popular main d&d edition currently as it's had a lot of support and several popular podcasts are using it. 3.5 has largely been supplanted by pathfinder which is not produced by wizards of the coast but, is a streamlined and improved platform based largely on 3.5. It takes most of the popular things about 3.5 and makes them easier while allowing easily for porting between the two, however it isn't nearly as complete since the dev team is significantly smaller. It's arguable one of the major factors contributing to the success of pathfinder was the lackluster reception of 4E. I'm not sure if 5E or pathfinder is more popular but, I would lean toward 5E. Personally, pathfinder is my preferred module at this point.
            Last edited by Corvus; 19 Aug 2018, 18:35.
            Circe

Comment

Anyone play any other systems? I find DnD/pathfinder force a particular style of play, which is great if that's what you like to play but not so great if you want something different.

Some systems I've enjoyed:
              Burning Wheel -good for character development instead of just levelling up.
              Reign - best dice mechanics i've seen.
              Fate - very easy and flexible system: what i use to introduce new players.

Comment

Man the few Pen n' Paper RPG I've visited throughout France use 3.5 for their DnD sessions. I guess frenchies like overly complicated stuff.

Edit:
                Originally posted by prometheus View Post
                Anyone play any other systems? I find DnD/pathfinder force a particular style of play, which is great if that's what you like to play but not so great if you want something different.

I usually create my own simple systems. I'm more about the story telling than the actual gameplay I guess.
                Last edited by Sean R. R.; 20 Aug 2018, 01:05.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I enjoy the core mechanics for the Chronicles of Darkness games. Character construction is pretty straight forward, you can get characters who are pretty capable in at least one or two areas with initial character creation and the dice pools amuse me. I think my largest issue is the tightly integrated Integrity/Humanity/Wisdom/Harmony/etc mechanics that I don't always have a use for but those aren't impossible to bypass, just moderately annoying.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    I enjoy the core mechanics for the Chronicles of Darkness games.
                    I'm not familiar with it. I enjoy systems that encourage the story telling rather than game aspect of the hobby. I'm not a massive fan of DnD5e for that reason. Do you think i'd like Chronicles of Darkness?

Comment

I'm not familiar with it. I enjoy systems that encourage the story telling rather than game aspect of the hobby. I'm not a massive fan of DnD5e for that reason. Do you think i'd like Chronicles of Darkness?
                      Did you ever play any of the World of Darkness games? Vampire: The Masquerade is the most commonly known but they had a number of other loosely connected lines. Chronicles started out as a New World of Darkness with streamlined rules. It has since wandered a bit to set itself more distinctly apart from Classic World of Darkness but there are still enough similarities that the systems can be compared.

Anyway, the different lines have tools to help push it toward storytelling. How well the tools work will depend on your group.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Did you ever play any of the World of Darkness games? Vampire: The Masquerade is the most commonly known but they had a number of other loosely connected lines. Chronicles started out as a New World of Darkness with streamlined rules. It has since wandered a bit to set itself more distinctly apart from Classic World of Darkness but there are still enough similarities that the systems can be compared.
                        I have heard of Vampire: The Masquerade, usually to glowing recommendations, but i'm not a fan of Vampire settings so never got round to trying it. Is there a cthulu setting? I've always wanted to see that setting done well in an RPG.

Anyway, the different lines have tools to help push it toward storytelling. How well the tools work will depend on your group.
                        Some systems do story better than others, but you're right the bottom line is whether the group are into it. Has anyone seen Critical Role? Those players can weave a good story, and with DnD5e.
                        Last edited by prometheus; 21 Aug 2018, 09:34.

Comment

I have heard of Vampire: The Masquerade before but I've never played it. I'm thinking of playing other RPG games beside D&D and Pathfinder.

Comment

I have heard of Vampire: The Masquerade, usually to glowing recommendations, but i'm not a fan of Vampire settings so never got round to trying it. Is there a cthulu setting? I've always wanted to see that setting done well in an RPG.

Some systems do story better than others, but you're right the bottom line is whether the group are into it. Has anyone seen Critical Role? Those players can weave a good story, and with DnD5e.
                            V:tM is the most popular of the CWoD lines to my knowledge but it also had a host of others. I may toss up some places to look later.

There are Cthulhu RPGs. I'm not overly familiar with most of them but I can find you some links later tonight.

Comment

So, this

Is the drivethrurpg page for the company that does Call of Cthulhu

This

Is Onyx Path. They currently do Chronicles of Darkness and Classic World of Darkness lines among other things. There are other Classic World of Darkness and Chronicles (though not necessarily named as such under White Wolf which I'm not linking right now.

If you go for anying WoD or CofD then you mights want to drop by

And talk to some people to get an idea of a good place to start. Personally, I'd go for one of the Chonicles core books so either

mage 2e
                              vampire 2e
                              werewolf 2e

Or just

CofD

Any of the above 4 is enough to play with on its own though the first three are focused somewhat on their specific lines and the last is mostly mortals, psychics, spirits, ghosts and agents of the god machine. I believe CofD has enough in it to homebrew relatively basic vamps, lycans and mages as NPCs but it's not particularly good for building any of them as PCs. There are other lines but not all of them are 2E and 1E CofD requires at least 2 books if you want to play anything but a mortal. I'm also not linking CWoD, largely because

A. I prefer CofD 2e rules and
                              B. I'm a lazy bastard who can't be bothered to go through over 20 different game lines.

Comment

Thanks. Will add a call of cthulu to my list of games: just started running Star Trek Adventures, and trying Qin: Warring States (ancient China setting) after that. So many games, so little time...

Comment

Working...
                                X