Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

I'm running my own D&D 3.5 game which I post a separate thread about the game that I'm running if anyone interested.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

I just threw out my elf nazi sun cleric for my pathfinder campaign because a friend found him to be too creepy colonialist, which was entirely fair, and I couldn't think of a way to fix it with how deep in it was. So I talked with the DM and now I've got a new CN kenku cleric of the Lantern King. Originally we were going with Nyarlathotep but, after the filler quest session and some research there's just so little information that's usable. Plus, same friend was joking I'm incapable of making something not ineffably murderous and evil, so a god of mischief instead. Besides his symbol is way cooler and there's a ton more flavor here. Being a neutral god means I can channel positive energy for once and stop having to prep all these cure spells

I still need to be the party healer and changing my channel so I can spontaneously cast cure will be a huge help, but I really enjoy doing debuff and status spells. I chose the madness and deception (subdomain of trickery) domains and I think the abilities will be a huge help. I'm taking heighten spell and preferred spell to spontaneously cast mirror image, which with the sudden shift domain power will give me some great mobility and survivability to get around the battlefield. Other than that, we've got standard bad touch cleric stuff to wreck havoc. I named him Tromluí Beakface and I'm pretty excited to play him.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I just threw out my elf nazi sun cleric for my pathfinder campaign because a friend found him to be too creepy colonialist, which was entirely fair, and I couldn't think of a way to fix it with how deep in it was. So I talked with the DM and now I've got a new CN kenku cleric of the Lantern King. Originally we were going with Nyarlathotep but, after the filler quest session and some research there's just so little information that's usable. Plus, same friend was joking I'm incapable of making something not ineffably murderous and evil, so a god of mischief instead. Besides his symbol is way cooler and there's a ton more flavor here. Being a neutral god means I can channel positive energy for once and stop having to prep all these cure spells

I still need to be the party healer and changing my channel so I can spontaneously cast cure will be a huge help, but I really enjoy doing debuff and status spells. I chose the madness and deception (subdomain of trickery) domains and I think the abilities will be a huge help. I'm taking heighten spell and preferred spell to spontaneously cast mirror image, which with the sudden shift domain power will give me some great mobility and survivability to get around the battlefield. Other than that, we've got standard bad touch cleric stuff to wreck havoc. I named him Tromluí Beakface and I'm pretty excited to play him.
    Hey if you're interested. I'm running mu own D&D 3.5 game. I would love to add you to my game.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey if you're interested. I'm running mu own D&D 3.5 game. I would love to add you to my game.
    using what and at what time? I'm in three campaigns right now and going to school so I'm not sure if I can really devote time to it but, I'm never one to outright turn down a campaign invitation.
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    using what and at what time? I'm in three campaigns right now and going to school so I'm not sure if I can really devote time to it but, I'm never one to outright turn down a campaign invitation.
    Well if you feel like that your other priorities are important. I'm not going to force you to join if you don't wanted to.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I have nobody else to tell except my DM, but I'm in the middle of leveling up, and I am SO EXCITED.

Preface: We play 5e, in a campaign my DM and us players have slowly created over 4 years of playing. I've drawn up town maps, other characters have drawn landscape pictures, characters, etc. We've got NPC's that we know and love, and NPC's that we know and...well. We're so meta about this world, that we make meta look meta. Every year, we start over in the world, but with new characters, and our old characters (if still alive) become canon.

This go around, I'm playing a human bard who can't sing, or play a musical instrument. I'm a painter. My name sound suspicious like Bob Ross, and my appearance does too. I'm completely and utterly a sub-optimal character in battle, except in a few key areas where I shine. With Calm Emotions, I utter life anecdotes during battle and calm our opponents. Our ship (this is a seafaring campaign at the moment) is painted with a giant harpy and pirates fear us from a distance. I throw pigments into people's faces and blind them in battle (Colour Spray), and I buff the heck out of my teammates by drawing three full hearts on their chests before initiative.

I'm not always this useful. Sometimes, I skip turns, even at risk of damage to myself and teammates because the sun is setting and I have JUST GOT to capture that on canvas. I'm overloaded with paper and scrolls and empty crab shells and miscellaneous things I've found in our travels because everything is a painter's supply piece if you try hard enough. I walk slower than my other players because of this, and sometimes I just stop to ponder the universe.

BUT - I just got Plant Growth as a spell.

I am now going to literally and figuratively paint happy little trees everywhere.

I'm going to wreck our next session. I can't wait.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I have nobody else to tell except my DM, but I'm in the middle of leveling up, and I am SO EXCITED.

Preface: We play 5e, in a campaign my DM and us players have slowly created over 4 years of playing. I've drawn up town maps, other characters have drawn landscape pictures, characters, etc. We've got NPC's that we know and love, and NPC's that we know and...well. We're so meta about this world, that we make meta look meta. Every year, we start over in the world, but with new characters, and our old characters (if still alive) become canon.

This go around, I'm playing a human bard who can't sing, or play a musical instrument. I'm a painter. My name sound suspicious like Bob Ross, and my appearance does too. I'm completely and utterly a sub-optimal character in battle, except in a few key areas where I shine. With Calm Emotions, I utter life anecdotes during battle and calm our opponents. Our ship (this is a seafaring campaign at the moment) is painted with a giant harpy and pirates fear us from a distance. I throw pigments into people's faces and blind them in battle (Colour Spray), and I buff the heck out of my teammates by drawing three full hearts on their chests before initiative.

I'm not always this useful. Sometimes, I skip turns, even at risk of damage to myself and teammates because the sun is setting and I have JUST GOT to capture that on canvas. I'm overloaded with paper and scrolls and empty crab shells and miscellaneous things I've found in our travels because everything is a painter's supply piece if you try hard enough. I walk slower than my other players because of this, and sometimes I just stop to ponder the universe.

BUT - I just got Plant Growth as a spell.

I am now going to literally and figuratively paint happy little trees everywhere.

I'm going to wreck our next session. I can't wait.

I feel like this is one of the coolest characters ever. Like, EVER.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I feel like this is one of the coolest characters ever. Like, EVER.
    Haha thanks. I think she's my favourite character to date. I feel useless sometimes in battle, which really grinds my gears because I'm used to playing rogues, barbarians, and fighters, but other than the odd "how do I do a spell thing?" question that arises still, it's pretty good.

Basically picture a young female, seafaring Bob Ross. Her hair floats around her head in a tangle of curls, she's overladen with countless scrolls and canvas and paints and miscellaneous stuff (including a fishing rod), in a typical fantasy-esque seafaring outfit (white billowy shirt, leather breeches, etc) ...but if you look closely, there's a little paint here, and there, and oh, there too. And she's got a clam shell tattoo.

I mess up the game play using spells sometimes, but I really, really like this character.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

This sound amazing! I love creative characters, and how they can play out. It's pretty awesome.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    This sound amazing! I love creative characters, and how they can play out. It's pretty awesome.
    We're level 5 right now, and I'm currently +9 to persuasion. I can convince just about anyone to do anything by giving them life anecdotes.

...I also love creative characters. I always try with each new character, but honestly, their personality often falls away the longer I play them, as I level up and just focus on being a dirty murder hobo after the loot. Every one of my characters devolves in this fashion.

With this character, I purposely went with this distracted, abstract artist type, in part because it's a lot easier to play a character that shares character traits with you (I can't focus on anything for a long time and it is sometimes detrimental to game play), but also, because if I chose someone that I didn't min/max, I would be able to focus better on the rp.

My DM loves her...which means I've nearly died a half dozen times haha.

Mostly art.