Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    Lolth>Eilistraee
    Sure. Unfortunately for Lolth, Corellon Larethian > Lolth and the direct consequence of killing Eilistraee is continueing the game only against an irate Corellon Larethian.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I need to start building my team of good drow in version 3.5. Where do I begin to start?

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    Sure. Unfortunately for Lolth, Corellon Larethian > Lolth and the direct consequence of killing Eilistraee is continueing the game only against an irate Corellon Larethian.
    Nah, Corellon didn't really do anything. He just kept his daughter's seat warm for a century or so. Eilistraee has returned to life, her brother too (as separate gods), and they have now agreed to a sort of alliance. If we go by Ed Greenwood's take on this, they never even actually died. Lolth must be mad now...

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

When did Eilistraee get back? I can find a reference to her in The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide but I haven't seen any published material regarding her return.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    When did Eilistraee get back? I can find a reference to her in The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide but I haven't seen any published material regarding her return.
    The Sword Coast Adventurer's guide describes the status quo of the Realms in year 1491 DR or so, so the information included there are valid in the current era (the book was meant as an update, after all). Eilistraee isn't only referenced, she is described as one of the deities that the drow currently worships (in the drow race section), and is among the deities that returned with the Sundering. The book says that most of the gods who were thought gone or dead have managed to come back to life with the Sundering, and the provides a list of most of the currently active gods (which includes even deities like Myrkul or Leira), but it doesn't bother to explain how most of them came back to life. So Eilistraee's back, but how she came back during the Sundering, is unknown to mortals. Sadly, this is a trend of the 5e FR: things are back, but the how of it is mostly left unexplained.

Her return had been confirmed even before the SCAG was published, though, by Ed Greenwood, in his book ''Spellstorm'', in which it is stated that Eilistraee is one of the deities with whom Mystra is currently sharing the Weave. He has also directly clarified about that, on the Candlekeep forums, saying that not only Eilistraee, but Vhaeraun too are back. The FR wiki article that was linked before in this thread includes all the known info (and sources for them).

Ed Greenwood has also offered an explanation for their return. I'll link it, but keep in mind that, while Ed's lore is normally canon, in what follows only the information regarding the post 1489DR time can be considered official (according to what he said): Candlekeep Link approved by Masked
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 10 Dec 2015 at 10:00.

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide updates Faerun to the year 1491 DR. Eilistraee isn't only mentioned, she receives a paragraph of information (more than what many other non human deities get), that describe her as one of the deities that the drow currently worship (in the drow race section). The book states that during the Sundering most of the deities that were thought dead or gone, have returned to life, and the lists most of the gods that are currently active, Eilistraee being among them. The book doesn't however bother to explain how most deities came back, it just handwaves the matter with the Sundering. Sadly, this has become a trend with 5e: things are back, but the how it is left unexplained.

Eilistraee's return had been confirmed even before the SCAG, though. She is mentioned as one of the deities with whom Mystra is currently sharing the Weave in Ed Greenwood's Spellstorm, meaning that she must be alive. Ed Greenwood has also personally clarified on that, saying that not only Eilistraee, but Vhaeraun too, are back (Ed's original words can be found in the ''Questions for Ed Greenwood 2015" thread, over the Candlekeep forums):

Spoiler!

Ed Greenwood has also provided an explanation to Eilistraee's and Vhaeraun's return. I'll link it as well, but keep in mind that, while Ed's lore is normally canon, in what follows, only the information about the post 1489 DR time can be considered official:

Spoiler!

Also, Eilistraee and Vhaeraun learned from each other during the time spent as the ''Masked Lady''. After 1489 DR not only, as I said, they have reached a kind of friendship, but they have smoothed some rough edges. For example, Eilistraee now normally has male clergy, while Vhaeraun has chosen a less overtly evil path, and now supports his followers to actually integrate among the other races, when it is profitable to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

My apologies for the double post, I thought that the other one was lost
    Last edited by Mk2scorpion; 10 Dec 2015 at 09:59.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase

It wasn't lost but it was invisible and because I haven't been looking for auto-modded posts recently, I didn't realize it till your second post was up. Site filters occasionally stick posts in a mod queue for review by staff before releasing them to the full board but auto-modded posts

a. Are rare these days
    b. Don't show up in the new posts area

so we don't always notice them immediately.
    ―Thon

Yoda

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

JP has a small and close online friendship group. Several months ago, they started doing campaigns together online via Skype. JP soon emerged as the permanent DM on account of being good at doing voices and really getting onto the roles of the npcs. Anyway, a few weeks ago I joined their current adventure. It's the first time I've played with proper rules. I'd played just once before, with JP and our offline friends, but we didn't really know what we were doing. It was just a bit of drunken fun!

I'm finding all the stats and charts a bit overwhelming (I hate numbers), I struggle to keep up with the story because of my poor attention span, and I'm painfully shy, staying quiet most of the time. I'm seeing these obsticles as a good thing though. It's a chance to develop new skills, and that apparently helps overall cognitive ability. Besides, it's nice to have a reason to close the textbooks one or two nights a week!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic pagan (primary influences of Hinduism, Wicca, and Animism)

If anyone is interested in play by post, alongside a satirical webcomic on the intricacies of the system, you have; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forum.php, for all of your dungeons and dragons needs. Oddly enough, it also has the only good homebrew that I've ever seen (intermixed with the bad, of course).

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    If anyone is interested in play by post, alongside a satirical webcomic on the intricacies of the system, you have; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forum.php, for all of your dungeons and dragons needs. Oddly enough, it also has the only good homebrew that I've ever seen (intermixed with the bad, of course).
    Herbert what's your Giant In The Playground username?