Are we taken seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we taken seriously?

I don't think we are. Mostly because of the number of pagans in the world when compared to the rest of the world's population.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      I don't think we are. Mostly because of the number of pagans in the world when compared to the rest of the world's population.
      It depends on definition. I have heard Hinduism described as a pagan tradition, for example.
      Once a man, like the sea I raged;
      Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
      And there is in fact more earth than sea.
      Genesis lyric

Comment

No, we're not being taken serious by non-pagans. Then of course for non-pagans it can be quite difficult to understand a religion that they're not familiar with. My mother ones tried to explain wicca to my aunt (father's sister). She listened and asked questions. Then she ended the conversation with the comment: "well, I'm happy you found a hobby". My mother didn't respond to that, but her face was like, "What?! A hobby?!" XD My aunt just couldn't understand the entire concept of pagan religion.

But then as a pagan (for as long as I'm going to call myself that, I'm sort of in a process here), I can't really take some aspects of other religions seriously. I respect other people's view and choice of religion, yet I just can't understand why western women would freely choose to become Muslim and be part of a culture that can be very suppressive to women.

Comment

Taken seriously by whom? No doubt my beliefs would be condemned by many Christians and Muslims and ridiculed by atheists. So what? I'm reminded of Tolkien's remark about Lord of the Rings that "Some .. have found it boring, absurd, or incomprehensible, and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works..."

Comment

Man I am glad I didn't get flamed off the board for my remarks! Glad to see that some people took value in them too ... kind of felt like I had to get it off my chest.

On another note of "being taken seriously" I think part of it comes down to so many pagans practicing solo, so they can't be "credited" with anything as a group. Like my sister goes to this huge Lutheran church ... and when they do service hours, the organization knows that they were from Gloria Dei. Catholics give money to Catholic Charities, Conservative Christians make PACs to influence politicians ... whatever, insert example here.

I guess if you are raised in a world that is mostly Christian, and you are already a bit insular to start with, it's probably kind of hard to look at paganism from a far without asking, "Well yeah, but what do all yall actually DO?"

But I really like the answer of the person who said that they personally are taken seriously regardless of their religion. As much as I enjoy contributing to this thread and do find it an interesting question, I think that's the only real right answer: to just not really care what other people ascribe to your labels and demand their respect on a personal level.

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
              It depends on definition. I have heard Hinduism described as a pagan tradition, for example.
              It is. Isn't it?
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by TxanGoddess View Post
                I guess if you are raised in a world that is mostly Christian, and you are already a bit insular to start with, it's probably kind of hard to look at paganism from a far without asking, "Well yeah, but what do all yall actually DO?"
                In one sense I like the basic usage of the Pagan label to refer to non-Christians. That was part of the common jargon of Christian leadership during the original, imperialistic Christianization of Europe. I think there's value in embracing that conception now, at least in the U.S., where we have such a loud, Christian-based social conservative voice in our political system. Satanic groups have been filling that role lately on the issue of equanimity in religious expression in the public sphere. That's the sort of thing I mean, but I'd like to see a more comprehensive, oppositional response to the Religious Right in the name of Contemporary Paganism. It seems a natural fit to me.

Instead of getting too into the what do you do question, we might engage on the level of what we value. I believe that Pagans have a lot of common ground with non-Pagans in the values department, so maybe that's a place where the social stereotypes might be overshadowed. Being such the minority, making common cause within the society is probably a smart thing to do, generally speaking.

Comment

From my personal experience my beliefs are taken serious by those that wish to save me from hell and those that have a genuine interest in Paganism. And the rest of the population thinks I'm an unbathing, pot smoking, hippie that will "curse" you for looking at them funny. These accounts are all wrong I do bath(a lot, I sweat like nobodies business working that grill), pot has never been my thing and I don't curse people. So ha! they are all wrong. I don't broadcast my faith but I don't hide it either. The guys at work harass me about it because they know nothing about it but its all in fun because I let it be in fun. They are also very careful never to cross a line.

I think as a whole many zealous religious people aren't taken seriously. With the exceptions of our terrorist groups. Most people look at overly zealous people as crack pots or joke,s our nonbathing pot smoking hippies are included in this. I'm also totally supportive of those that want to be like those in the image. Thats kinda the best part of our religion, and I say ours because it is ours. You don't have to take my religion seriously but you will take me seriously as a person because I back up what I say with not just words but actions. I can't help it other peoples are to narrow to see outside of their little box but I'm fine with leaving them in the box.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note I think society as a whole frowns upon people who are overly religious in any way shape or form. I can remember in school that it was very very uncool to be friends with the kids who's parents were overly religious, and I have seen it in my older years as well.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I was Raised High Church Anglican. I spent most of my school life as such and some of the values stuck. However I left Anglicanism in highschool (Year 8 about 14) when I start seeing how many people claiming to be Christians were using their Christianity to justify unchristian behavior. When I was a Christian I was a good christian. As an example when I was 12 I gave up all my free time for 9 months to practice and perform an Opera for a charity.

I first went to Wicca, but found the drug use of wiccans in the circle I'd found unwarranted and disconcerting. I started studying religions as best I could and found Norse paganism ( admittedly as a sole practitioner I probably have some odd outlooks in it. I'd never claim to be a member of heathenry.)

I found my own path. When asked about my religion by friends and friendly acquaintances I give them a brief description - but that's all. I don't believe in trying to convert people to what I see as a very personal belief system. This is my major beef with Islam and Christianity. By forcing your beliefs on others I feel you inherently weaken those beliefs for EVERYONE following them.

If someone truely wanted to follow my path I'd tell them. no-one has yet.

My friends var - they all know I take my religion seriousl, but I know many of them don't take thier religion seriously, so how can they take mine seriously?

Comment

Anyone who uses the words "wolf" or "shadow" in their name I'm kinda sketchy about.

Then again my forum handle implies a Pagan criminal organization. Now, that I think about it I don't even know why or how I thought the name up. I've had it for over a decade on various Pagan sites. So, I guess I would not take my 15 year old Pagan self seriously.

Comment

I've found everyone I've told to have taken me seriously - mainly because they knew me for years already, and my reputation in work and social circles was well established. What surprised me very much was that there were a few people I had known for years who also follow at least some Pagan principles, or dabble in esoteric subjects. Once they found that I was Pagan, they opened up to their own beliefs. My own boss being one of them - which I never would have guessed.

I was talking with a group of non-pagans yesterday about the significance of the evergreen (I had mentioned having a Yule tree) and how the changing of the seasons reflect the circle of life--death-rebirth, with the evergreen representing the immortality of the soul (Masonic tradition). They were all very engaged and interested.

I had posted something to that same effect on FB just a day or two ago in response to a photo of a Christmas tree farm. The sign said "for Christians only" with the caption "Because only Christians are allowed to celebrate Pagan holidays." It was a passive, light-hearted jab at a friend who I would term a "militant Christian" by some of his posts. It elicited a number of other friends who shared my beliefs though.

To the point though - how we conduct ourselves will dictate how seriously we're taken - in whatever aspect of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickory67 View Post
                          "Because only Christians are allowed to celebrate Pagan holidays.
                          Nice one!
                          Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                          Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                          And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                          Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                            Nice one!
                            Yeah I'm sure my SDA cousins all got a kick out of it...LOL. They've been notably silent on many of my posts.

Comment

What is it to be taken seriously? That your belief is treated as a belief, and not a hobby? If so, then as only my mother, my wife and a female friend at college (can you tell I find it easier to confide in women?) know I have pagan interests, I would say generally yes, interestingly my Christian mother was more curious than my atheist wife, who has at times been a little belittling, whereas my female friend, a goth atheist, has expressed some "that's cool." attitude towards my ability to break the mould and believe what I want.

If to be taken seriously you mean people hear your beliefs and think "I disagree, but I can see how/why you might believe that and respect your individual choices.", well I don't really care, because there are some pagans I can't help but crack a smile at, like a certain someone who thinks he is the reincarnation of King Arthur. You know, the guy who almost definitely never existed. There will always be someone whose beliefs someone else thinks are a bit silly. Other pagans are not exempt in my books, just because we're in a minority group. That doesn't mean I will openly mock you for those beliefs, rather I will defend your right to hold beliefs that I think are absurd but harmless. I am sure I hold beliefs that other pagans would smile and nod and think quietly to themselves "what a crock of ****", and that's fine. I do not benefit from converting you to my beliefs, other than having someone to share privately with.
                              I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                              Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                              But that day you know I left my money
                              And I thought of you only
                              All that copper glowing fine

Comment

All I know is if you look like your heading to a Ren fair or costume party then you'll be treated as such and your beliefs seen and evaluated against that. The same applies to the "Teen" revolt stage and so many teens claiming to be pagan. It's seen as a stage and the person will grow out of it which percentage wise is probably not that wrong of a conclusion.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X