Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angry All The Time

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
    Hitting things isn't really something I do. I will punch the floor or myself if I'm frustrated in a game, but that's about it. I'm more the pacing/agitated angry type.
    Which is why you might need some help finding tools that work for you. Pacing doesn't really release anything, it expresses it. But it's not gonna help you through it. Probably, finding the root of your anger and working with that is what you need... there's a difference between being angry when something goes wrong, and just feeling angry all the time... I know it's sappy, but you're a great writer, take a blank piece of paper and a pen, and try writing it out. Just see what flows out.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Well.

I have a 40 year old undergraduate degree in psychology, which qualifies me for absolutely nothing except to be a know-it-all about the brain...

So here goes:

Anger released in an uncontrolled way is both a massive waste of energy, and a temporary fix. Catharsis leaves one feeling spent and tired, and things will build up, requiring repeated catharsis.

Anger which is not released builds up until the one experiencing it can no longer bite it back, and it is very likely to pop out an a bad time.

The middle way is to release the anger in a controlled way. When one does this, the anger is reduced, the energy is harnessed for a useful purpose, and the person ends up feeling energized, becomes more active, and much less angry.

How this is done should depend on the person doing it. Running, long walks, tennis - these all can work, if they are things you like. Personally, I have a punching bag, and beat the crap out of it...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

One year ago I still lived with my brother in my mother's house. He was a slob and drug addict and it frustrated me a lot. I was angry all the time, even at things that I also could have just brushed off. Then I moved to my own house and all that anger and frustration was gone, because the source of that anger was gone.

So you could search for the source, maybe by meditating. If you know what it is, try to remove that source or limit it's influence on your emotions. I don't know anything about the effects of medicine, so maybe your doctor might have some tips about that.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Personally, I have a punching bag, and beat the crap out of it...
          Many moons ago I bought one of those when I started working as a Probation Officer.
          Once a man, like the sea I raged;
          Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
          And there is in fact more earth than sea.
          Genesis lyric

Comment

I have also found that finding the right music can help me release my anger - That or going to my medieval re-enactment training - Running around in armour hitting other people in armour with swords can be VERY cathartic

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post
              That or going to my medieval re-enactment training - Running around in armour hitting other people in armour with swords can be VERY cathartic
              That sounds like fun! Do people get hurt though?
              Once a man, like the sea I raged;
              Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
              And there is in fact more earth than sea.
              Genesis lyric

Comment

The worst injury I've heard of occurred to me - I got a chipped collarbone and the chip went through a nerve- I now have no feeling on the front shoulder on my right side. NERVE DEATH HURTS btw. We have fewer injuries per 1000 than AFL, soccer, Rugby (League or union). We've never had an on field death. It's basically a martial art with medieval European weapons. We use Armour because the weapons are steel to get the right weight.so you get bruises every time and the occasional cracked rib but nothing serious.

Comment

I have a temper. Enough of one that another of my frequent handles is redheadstemper. For about twelve years, I channeled that anger into other things - namely, countering my anxiety so that I could get through the day. I always knew that wasn't healthy, though, since I wasn't dealing with either. I promised myself I'd stop doing it when I turned eighteen, which I did, and suddenly realised just how bad my temper is. I had much the same issue, of being angry all the time, and while I was looking for other methods to deal with it, I smashed a lot of bottles. 0
                  One thing we all need to remember, is that humans are violent. It's part of our nature. Not every human is, of course, but it is something we should accept as a fact of our species, and not something to be ashamed of. We channel it into other things: ambition, sports, books, games ... the list goes on, but my point is this: anger is natural. The desire to destroy is natural. Everyone has to find a way to channel their anger and destructive tendencies into something that harms neither themselves nor others, because what works for one person won't work for another.

One thing that I've found works long term, apart from regular meditation, is killing pixels (I refer to it as such to acknowledge both that it's relieving anger and it isn't against something real) before doing something creative. That way I get the anger out, and remind myself that it's not the only thing I can do, or feel. I'm also creative. Other things I do after letting the anger out are hugging puppies and doing something constructive, like housework. Again, it's a reminder that I'm more than my anger and fear, that I'm useful and loved.

So yeah. Find a way to release the anger, that works for you, and then something to do after that makes you feel something positive.

If that doesn't work, maybe a professional, practicing psychologist would be best, rather than armchair psychologists and personal experience advisers like myself ... I'd say try to find your own way first, though.

I hope all of this helps, at least somewhat.

Comment

Maybe you got IED, Intermittent Explosive Disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                      Maybe you got IED, Intermittent Explosive Disorder.
                      No, I don't think so. IED is characterized by bursts of inappropriate rage. My problem is mostly a constant, low-level irritation. I do at times lose my temper, but I never scream or yell.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

The reason why you choose anger can be for quite a few different reasons but this is what you need to figure out. You need to know where your anger is really coming from.

Anger can be a tricky emotion because it's often covering up other issues. Anger is used as a sort of mask. It covers up the true feelings like fear, jealousy, frustration, or annoyance. It's a way of dealing with the situation when you haven't processed the real feelings behind it.

There's always something behind anger. Anger doesn't really come by itself. It's always attached to another emotion. In that sense, anger could be thought of as an intermediate emotion. An event happens, the brain doesn't have time (or doesn't want to) to fully process the situation and it needs a reaction, so anger is what's used until there's more time to examine everything in more detail.

Here 7 different reasons and mentions that could be happening :

1 Fear
                        2 Powerlessness
                        3 Frustration
                        4 Bad habbit
                        5 Pain from the past
                        6 Jealousy
                        7 hurt

Comment

Originally posted by r4321 View Post
                          The reason why you choose anger can be for quite a few different reasons but this is what you need to figure out. You need to know where your anger is really coming from.

Anger can be a tricky emotion because it's often covering up other issues. Anger is used as a sort of mask. It covers up the true feelings like fear, jealousy, frustration, or annoyance. It's a way of dealing with the situation when you haven't processed the real feelings behind it.

There's always something behind anger. Anger doesn't really come by itself. It's always attached to another emotion. In that sense, anger could be thought of as an intermediate emotion. An event happens, the brain doesn't have time (or doesn't want to) to fully process the situation and it needs a reaction, so anger is what's used until there's more time to examine everything in more detail.

Here 7 different reasons and mentions that could be happening :

1 Fear
                          2 Powerlessness
                          3 Frustration
                          4 Bad habbit
                          5 Pain from the past
                          6 Jealousy
                          7 hurt
                          I don't believe I've chosen anger, and if I have, it's definitely not on a conscious level. I don't like being angry. It could be any combination of things, but I wish I could find the heart of it and let it go.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                            I don't believe I've chosen anger, and if I have, it's definitely not on a conscious level. I don't like being angry. It could be any combination of things, but I wish I could find the heart of it and let it go.
                            You will find it eventually. Have you tried just going with it? It might very well be trying to communicate something. Not saying to go around hitting people just allow yourself to really feel it, the reason for it might be hiding in it. Does that make sense?
                            You remind me of the babe
                            What babe?
                            The babe with the power
                            What power?
                            The Power of voodoo
                            Who do?
                            You do!
                            Do what?
                            Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                              You will find it eventually. Have you tried just going with it? It might very well be trying to communicate something. Not saying to go around hitting people just allow yourself to really feel it, the reason for it might be hiding in it. Does that make sense?
                              It makes sense. I just haven't been able to find a single source, since it seems like everything pisses me off lately.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Perhaps it is not you,just so many things that require you to be pissed off. I find myself screaming at the TV when Mr. Trump opens his pie hole.
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X