Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The most important thing

Originally posted by Briton View Post
    What I mean is not reading the Poetic Edda and telling yourself this is all about what Vikings believed, even if you don't really believe it yourself, but have convinced yourself you need to believe it in order to fit under the label.
    Yes, I see. I am enjoying exploring a naturalistic approach to paganism, but I couldn't start suddenly believing in gods and goddesses and such-like, it just isn't me.
    Once a man, like the sea I raged;
    Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
    And there is in fact more earth than sea.
    Genesis lyric

Comment

My personal jargon makes distinctions among mysticism, religion, and magick. They're interrelated, interdependent, and ultimately all serve the grand point of everything, whatever that may be. Note that I bear no expectation that these are common distinctions, or that anyone else should find them useful.

Mysticism
      is about Truth with a capital T. Some might use the term reality here, which has been addressed in other posts to this thread as the important thing of religion. For me Truth is a better fit, and I don't class Truth as a direct function of religion. Conceptually, Truth is about distinguishing between what matters and what doesn't, as opposed to what is and what isn't. An illusion may not portrait reality, but we can experience illusions, so illusions exist in some manner of speaking. And some illusions may yet be important, as a stepping stone for example, but maybe beyond that after being sorted out by recognizing the Truth of the matter. To me, that's a mystical effort.

Religion (the question posed in this thread) is about inspiration. The hallmark of a religious practice is that it should expand ones perception of what is possible. In agreement with another post to this thread, my Pagan heart also relishes a quiet spot in the woods, the bank of running stream, and my most beloved coastline (I've never lived more than 100 miles from the western shores of the U.S.); Nature to put a name to it. I take a broader view of Nature too though, inclusive of human nature, social nature, the nature of a given cultural, of cultural interactions, of blending cultures, etc. I even include the nature of machines, reasoning that if something has come into being in this world, it's an expression of the Nature of this world. I suppose that makes me something of a Pantheist. At any rate, the common core of this concept is the potential for me to be inspired in the face of it. I look, I'm inspired, that's religion in a nutshell for me.

Magick is quite simply about getting things done. And lest that statement be over-construed, magick are the steps taken over and above the necessary things that anyone has to do whether they add a magick effort or not: checking the want ads and applying for jobs if one needs a job, increasing physical exercise and improving diet, etc., if one needs to improve their health, and, you know, turning the knob and pushing on the door if one needs to go through the door. Using magick is a recognition that there's more going on than meets the eye, and involves doing things that one presumes will operate on the unseen dynamics, the occult if you will.

So, altogether: sorting out what's important, seeking inspiration, and striving to bring about the inspired vision. Yeah. That's how I think about it. I can see how someone might call that whole ball of wax religion. or mysticism, or magick. I find it useful to distinguish among them.

Comment

My inner worlds and meditation/visualisation in general. These have become pretty much central to my practices. They have always had played a big part, but since developing a new concept of Spirit, they have become pretty much the entirety of my spiritual practice. They're all I need, and so I guess meditation is the one thing I simply couldn't function without.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The most important thing on my own path is compassion. For me, everything else is just gravy.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Two things: Intent and Inspiration. Everything flows from those points for me.

Comment

I don't think I could give a "most important" thing in my practice. The Earth element provides the foundation for all things and in my workings trust is that foundation - especially working with deity but also in personal relationships. Inspiration, communication and intuition comes from the element of Air and these are a necessary aspect of my practice. The element of Fire brings protection, transformation and passion. Water is the element of birth and completes the cycle of foundation, inspiration and passion to realize the fruition of my work so that it can be manifest in the real world. The spirits and deity are my partners in everything I do and they are a daily part of my life. I have a need to learn and a drive to teach because knowledge is meaningless unless it is shared. I love easily and unconditionally yet I remain open to the morphology of the human condition.
              Of course, none of these things can be taken from me so I don't have to have one that stands out as "most important".
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I'm not following a religion right now. Just living and taking it all in stride.
                "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

As long as there are trees and flowers around me, birds and animals, sky above, earth below, bodies of water to visit, I'm good.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie Fae View Post
                    As long as there are trees and flowers around me, birds and animals, sky above, earth below, bodies of water to visit, I'm good.
                    I know what you mean. I have a daily walk by the sea, that keeps me going.
                    Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                    Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                    And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                    Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                      I know what you mean. I have a daily walk by the sea, that keeps me going.
                      Sounds nice, Porpoise! I hope to someday live near the ocean or a creek. Near enough to visit often or even everyday.

Comment

What is the most important thing in your religion? Even if you for some reason had to give up your religious belongings, practices, rituals and so, what would remain? If you are in an environment without any spiritual resources what is your anchor?

I'm getting more and more intrusive with these questions... but this is something that really fascinates me.
                        I would call it more of a personal spiritual practice personally (I think religion, with all of its two-faced dogma and unrealistic expectations, is harmful). Aside from the fire tongue, I would say the strength it gives me to be myself in a world where I am forced to conform and adapt to social norms.

My spiritual practices have helped me become more confident, assertive, and strategic in my life to follow a purpose that means something more than money and acceptance. Even though I work at a job I may not entirely find all that rewarding (aside from the money and connections with certain coworkers), I am able to enter the work day with a genuine smile and lightness in my heart because I realize all the BS is just a stepping stone and learning curve for me to realize my full potential. I can be me and not fear others judgments because it is my path of illumination and their ignorance is nothing I should be offended by, but serves only to make me strive for deeper learning and manifestation of my love and power in the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X