Playing A Game: Serious Or Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing A Game: Serious Or Fun

I take and play any type of game very seriously. Having fun is completely underrated. Most people prefer to win than to have fun these days. What do you think?

Re: Playing A Game: Serious Or Fun

Generally, I play games for amusement and/or to test out a strategy for that specific game. I like to win and I tend to put a decent effort into winning but the reason I'm playing at all is amusement/testing a strategy.

The exception is if I watch an idiot lord their victories over weaker opponents. Then, I'm playing to dismantle my opponent in slow motion and as sadistically as I can afford to without risking losing the game myself.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      Generally, I play games for amusement and/or to test out a strategy for that specific game. I like to win and I tend to put a decent effort into winning but the reason I'm playing at all is amusement/testing a strategy.

The exception is if I watch an idiot lord their victories over weaker opponents. Then, I'm playing to dismantle my opponent in slow motion and as sadistically as I can afford to without risking losing the game myself.
      I've to disagree with you. Games wasn't meant for enjoying amusement. It's all about winning and taking things seriously. I'm a type of person who takes games seriously. I just forfeit and ragequit. I take winning seriously.

Comment

Game=Fun,war=win at any cost...so,as I understand it BMH,you play to feel the excitement of war without the nuisance of actually dieing.

I will say,war really is NOT a game,and it truly sucks to lose at war.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Game=Fun,war=win at any cost...so,as I understand it BMH,you play to feel the excitement of war without the nuisance of actually dieing.

I will say,war really is NOT a game,and it truly sucks to lose at war.
          That's exactly where I'm coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
            I've to disagree with you. Games wasn't meant for enjoying amusement. It's all about winning and taking things seriously. I'm a type of person who takes games seriously. I just forfeit and ragequit. I take winning seriously.
            If I valued winning at any given game that much then I would never have developed the skill to actually hold my own against a half-decent chess player, let alone win the occasional game against some pretty good ones. I've never found that specific breed of pride to be particularly conducive to learning difficult skills. Don't get me wrong. I like to win but one win in fifty games against a man much better than I am is worth hundreds of victories against those significantly worse and a loss that I learn something useful from can be worth thousands of victories against lesser opponents. If I don't enjoy the game for its own sake on some level than I won't have the patience or focus to earn the really satisfying victories.

Your mileage may vary.
            "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
            ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm a backgammon addict. I play against the computer at the hardest level, and win about half the time. When I lose, I know why. So, it's both fun and strategy.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I meant to say that I don't forfeit and ragequit to my previous post. If people want to quit and lose like a total loser just to have fun losing well that got some serious problems to give up and lose for fun. I'm like Seto Kaiba a serious Yu-Gi-Oh duelist in the anime. Maskedone no offense but I just don't see how people enjoy winning nor losing just to have when people prefer to do so. In fact I play Yu-Gi-Oh with a few people and they didn't forfeit nor ragequit. And they play like real serious duelist. In fact one person who I play against told me that ragequit is lame.

Comment

That's probably why people don't want to play with you.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

This thread is moved to General Discussions. The question begs for opinions, not debating.
                    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Competitive people really bore me. I used to enjoy dinghy sailing but eventually got fed up with it because people were far too serious about winning races. I remember one time this guy was getting really upset with his performance in a race and whingeing on about it, eventually I got fed up with him and said "It's a beautiful day, you have the sun on your skin, the wind in your face, the waves, a wonderful sense of freedom, and yet you're still miserable!"
                      Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                      Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                      And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                      Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        That's probably why people don't want to play with you.
                        In all fairness, I play by the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                          In all fairness, I play by the rules.
                          Rules get boring though.
                          Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                          Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                          And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                          Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                            Rules get boring though.
                            Really? How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                              Competitive people really bore me. I used to enjoy dinghy sailing but eventually got fed up with it because people were far too serious about winning races. I remember one time this guy was getting really upset with his performance in a race and whingeing on about it, eventually I got fed up with him and said "It's a beautiful day, you have the sun on your skin, the wind in your face, the waves, a wonderful sense of freedom, and yet you're still miserable!"
                              That sounds too lovely for words!

Personally I prefer games where I compete against my own personal best score. I dabble in chess. Oh, and my partner and I watch Jeopardy! every evening. I really only like games I am good at. Probably not a good way of thinking about things. I don't like competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X