Family (health) Curses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family (health) Curses

So, my family - the part of it I can track, so my maternal family - has a few common conditions and I was wondering if anyone else had the same sort of thing.
    For instance, in my family:
    We have a wonderfully fast metabolism, until our early twenties, when we suddenly have a very slow metabolism;
    We all get migraines. The men, lucky lucky, get triggered migraines, so they can just avoid whatever their trigger is, but us women in my family don't, so we can't. Just medicate or willpower through it;
    We have bad joints. Mine were exacerbated by malnutrition as an infant, but it's present to some extent in almost everyone in my family;
    Auburn hair. very common in my family. As well as the temper to match it.

This all adds up to us having weight problems from having to suddenly change our diets in our early twenties, since we don't really notice until we start putting weight on; issues with losing said weight because we can't exercise enough to get rid of it properly; and a bad temper made worse by pain.
    Also, very amusing: the men have dark hair, mostly brown enough that you can't see the red hair threaded through it ... and then they grow bright red beards.

Anyone else have this sort of thing?

Re: Family (health) Curses

I think that oftentimes that's a sort of side effect of having a family be strong souled on the whole; it often attracts less desirable spirits that prey on the least defensible members of the family, in various ill tiding ways. It could also easily be caused just by living in the same area for a while, and having coindidentally poor metaphysical arrangements in the area. It could also be caused by inbreeding high up in the family tree. Further; do you use well-water? Stop using well-water, if you do.

Comment

uh..genetics.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

This doesn't sound like a curse to me. It sounds like a nutritional problem. To what extent? I'm not certain because I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor. But I've had my share of health related problems (not being able to lose weight, certain health conditions, etc) that all point to genetics, as Medusa touched on. Western Medicine has not helped in my case. Have you talked to a naturalist (naturopath?) or nutritionist about these problems? They can often order lab work that a Western Medicine doctor doesn't usually consider or think worthwhile.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

... I didn't mean literal curse, I meant I have it because this is my family ... as medusa said, genetics. I was just wondering if there was someone I could commiserate with over stupid genetics ...

Also, my family is spread over the entire east coast of Australia, with widely varying diet, lifestyles etc., so none of that is relevant.

It's just a matter of my family tends towards smart, stubborn people ... with a laundry list of health problems.

Comment

Oh yeah, my family has its own 'curse'

Mother's side prevalent mental illness. Thus far my grandmother had depression, her daughter (my mom) had bi polar, first son was alcoholic and drug user due to depression (he passed away of an over dose, 2nd son has schizophrenia, I have Cylothemic bi polar. Other cousin over dose of heroin due to depression and schizophrenia. And all that side has Diabetes.

Father's side: Diabetes! Two aunts blind and had limbs amputated due to Diabetes.

Mother had heart issues. Numerous heart attacks pace maker.
            Father died of a heart attack at 56.
            I had a heart attack at age 38.

Good times!

Comment

My family is pretty erratic and violent and leans more to crime than anything. Though, my moms side has the diabetes and cancer. And about mental illness, my sister is really bipolar and has ADHD. My mom has ADHD. I have ADD, ASPD, and WED(not mental).
              I think our environment just isn't suitable for raising children and we usually end up pretty messed up because of that. Not everyone can cope correctly and it's a mess.
              "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Wow, that's a lotta diabetes in your family. Medusa. There's a fair amount in my family too, but we're all pretty sure that's related to their weight, since the ones who have it were morbidly obese for at least two decades before they were diagnosed ... what it sounds like is just plain genetic causes of diabetes in your family, which is a pretty terrible thing ... even without the heart issues.

And, hey, EndlessCravings. I don't recognise WED. What's that? If you don't mind? And have you found a good way to cope with everything? I'm still relearning to concentrate after my last big seizure, which is more on top of the family thing ... so I have the family joints, made worse by malnutrition, the family temper, the family migraines, the family metabolism, Epilepsy, the meds for which really do not help with my weight, anxiety, the meds for which have to be carefully managed because epilepsy, ADHD, which I can't take meds for because epilepsy, memory issues, which are helped a lot by a lot of fish oil ...

See what I mean by laundry list?

Anyway, every big seizure, I have to relearn how to concentrate, and I still haven't managed it after the last one. any tips, or are you on meds for it?

And yeah ... vague and rambling and such ... not a good day, with lots of absence seizures and way too blinkin hot. My brain is fuzzy.

Comment

Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Both of which I inherited.

Comment

Oh, so you didn't mean... Well, it's a valid assumption on this forum! In any case, my mother and my father both had schizoaffective disorder, my father's only discovered shortly before his death. That's primarily because my mother's was more traditionally formed, while my father's manifested as 'chronic, baffling abdominal pain', and being a generally terrible person. Of course, that makes me almost guaranteed to have bipolar, schizoaffective, or schizophrenic disorder. Does that count? That probably counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanli View Post
                      Wow, that's a lotta diabetes in your family. Medusa. There's a fair amount in my family too, but we're all pretty sure that's related to their weight, since the ones who have it were morbidly obese for at least two decades before they were diagnosed ... what it sounds like is just plain genetic causes of diabetes in your family, which is a pretty terrible thing ... even without the heart issues.

And, hey, EndlessCravings. I don't recognise WED. What's that? If you don't mind? And have you found a good way to cope with everything? I'm still relearning to concentrate after my last big seizure, which is more on top of the family thing ... so I have the family joints, made worse by malnutrition, the family temper, the family migraines, the family metabolism, Epilepsy, the meds for which really do not help with my weight, anxiety, the meds for which have to be carefully managed because epilepsy, ADHD, which I can't take meds for because epilepsy, memory issues, which are helped a lot by a lot of fish oil ...

See what I mean by laundry list?

Anyway, every big seizure, I have to relearn how to concentrate, and I still haven't managed it after the last one. any tips, or are you on meds for it?

And yeah ... vague and rambling and such ... not a good day, with lots of absence seizures and way too blinkin hot. My brain is fuzzy.
                      I was on medication(Adderall) for ADD for years but stopped taking it because it started to do nothing for me, WED is Willis-Ekbom Disease(restless leg syndrome) which is a disease where you feel like there are things crawling on your legs, pain, just painful sensations. I was taking meloxicam for the WED and it wasn't working and I was taking way more than the prescribed amount so I stopped. I haven't really found a way to cope with WED, I just get up and move around. I'm pretty good with my ADD, and with my ASPD, always a work in progress but I think I'm doing fine by myself.
                      "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Originally posted by Vanli View Post
                        This all adds up to us having weight problems from having to suddenly change our diets in our early twenties, since we don't really notice until we start putting weight on; issues with losing said weight because we can't exercise enough to get rid of it properly; and a bad temper made worse by pain.
                        Also, very amusing: the men have dark hair, mostly brown enough that you can't see the red hair threaded through it ... and then they grow bright red beards.
                        What do you mean by you can't exercice enough. You don't have enough time? You say that most of the health problems are caused by your overweight. So it might be a good idea to invest some time in exercicing next to dieting as that really helps you stay healthier. If you find it difficult to find a suitable sport, I know that swimming is best if you have bad joints. Also, just because all your family members are overweigth, doesn't mean you have to be. My friend's family are all overweigth and he refused to go down that road, so he started exercicing and dieting and now he's the athlete of the family.

Comment

I suspect this means that the pain and low metabolism make losing weight extremely difficult. Pain is harder to dismiss when you live with it as a chronic condition. As is concern for preserving your joints so that you can continue to move.

Comment

I still recommend talking to a nutritionist. I've experienced first hand how much changing the foods I eat can affect me emotionally and physically. Having a clean diet did wonders for me, including losing weight that I couldn't get rid of with exercise. I had a lot of inflammation which caused pain, that made exercising difficult. Swimming is awesome for that, as someone already mentioned.

I encourage people to read up on the Cellular Healing Diet by Dr. Daniel Pompa. It has some very good information. Of course exercise is just as important as a good diet. And I mean diet as in the way and what we eat, not just for weight loss alone.
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Oddly many of my family members with Diabetes are quite thin. And we have a juvenile onset one as well. Born that way. Poor kid. It was hard for him on birthdays and such. Back then you really didn't get many alternatives to sugar as you do now. People always tell Diabetics to just lose weight. My cousin in thin as a rail and still as Diabetic as I am. Sometimes it really is just bad pancreas.

Comment

Working...
                              X