Gods as Metaphors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gods as Metaphors

I'm aware that some Asatru see the Norse gods as less 'actual things that exist', and more metaphors for admirable traits in humanity, represented through dramatic tales. The suffering Odin goes through to obtain knowledge, for example. That lead me to thinking.. How many of you guys see your gods less as actual spirits or actual entities, and more like entities or attributes that you admire, or see as positive in your life?

Re: Gods as Metaphors

I can't say I've ever encountered any Heathens who see the gods as metaphors or archetypes. A search at Wikipedia (a really bad article!) cited three sources for that, all academic writings on the religion rather than statements by its practitioners. In fact I'm not aware of any ethnic or reconstructionist pagans who take that view. Even in Wicca, it's post-Gardner. For me, it's Jungian / New Age. My gods are real, just like those of the Africans, Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Native Americans, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by divinemath View Post
      I'm aware that some Asatru see the Norse gods as less 'actual things that exist', and more metaphors for admirable traits in humanity, represented through dramatic tales. The suffering Odin goes through to obtain knowledge, for example. That lead me to thinking.. How many of you guys see your gods less as actual spirits or actual entities, and more like entities or attributes that you admire, or see as positive in your life?
      I see gods as projections of the human mind which some people choose ( need? ) to reify.
      Once a man, like the sea I raged;
      Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
      And there is in fact more earth than sea.
      Genesis lyric

Comment

I have quite the opposing view; namely, that all gods ever commonly worshiped are real, as far as being metaphysical entities. They are not metaphors.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the 'gods are metaphors' thing is at very least used by quite a few so called 'heathenic' neo-nazi groups. Not sure about it as a belief otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
          I have quite the opposing view; namely, that all gods ever commonly worshiped are real, as far as being metaphysical entities. They are not metaphors.
          Or at least worshipped as if they are real.
          Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
            Or at least worshipped as if they are real.
            I more meant in the sense of being capable of providing energy lending, much like a metaphysical bank (they give you lots of power when you need it, you give them a slow and steady stream of power through worship) but sure, that works too

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
              I more meant in the sense of being capable of providing energy lending, much like a metaphysical bank (they give you lots of power when you need it, you give them a slow and steady stream of power through worship) but sure, that works too
              Maybe a method of connecting with something deeper?
              Genesis lyric

Comment

I think when experiences stretch the boundaries of our capacity to comprehend, and our ability to precisely articulate, we naturally respond with poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Eugene Laughlin View Post
                  I think when experiences stretch the boundaries of our capacity to comprehend, and our ability to precisely articulate, we naturally respond with poetry.
                  Yes, or with metaphor.
                  Genesis lyric

Comment

To avoid being misunderstood, I was rejecting the initial premise of the thread as a false dichotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Eugene Laughlin View Post
                      To avoid being misunderstood, I was rejecting the initial premise of the thread as a false dichotomy.
                      It does seem that people think about gods in different ways though. I've been trying out some ancestor visualisation recently which seems to have a similar effect. Years ago in Tibetan Buddhism I used mantra chanting, that was another way of "connecting".
                      Genesis lyric

Comment

I definitely see Gods as metaphors to understand something much greater than we can logically or scientifically explain. I think their powers are real in that humans are capable of some pretty mystical things, especially if they are trained in Eastern magical, healing, and internal boxing traditions. I have nothing against Western esotericism, I am actually quite intrigued with it, I only say Eastern because I have never met a Western occultist, healer, whatever, that was able to perform unspeakable feats of wonder in the same way as their Eastern counterparts.

I used to be a traditional theist but it got in the way of my freedom and ability to be a happy hedonist, now I mainly see things in the Trinity of the God (masculine, projecting, warrior), Goddess (feminine, receptive, healer), and Great Spirit, the God and Goddess each with countless names and attributes from the most beneficial to the frightening and obscure, and the Great Spirit as... well, a great spirit, something far beyond anything I will ever understand or reach in physical form.

I still have faith, but not so much that it holds me back from being myself in a world of insanity. Gotsta' to have my insanity. Just gotsta'.

Comment

I'm kinda new to paganism. I've read three or four books on it and I don't see the gods as actual beings. I think there are gods that created the universe, but I don't think things like offerings, prayer, and magic work to get the divine or other forces to work for you. At this point I'm not even sure there are forces, divine or otherwise, at work in our universe at all. I do however respect nature and if I was to make offerings it would be out of my respect for nature. I do celebrate some of the pagan holidays from various paths, especially the solstices and equinoxes as either turning points or sort of signposts in the flow of nature through the year. I do like samhain and use it as an opportunity to remember people who have died and maybe send messages to them, in case it's possible. I do believe the gods that created the universe have an afterlife for us with almost limitless possibilities.

I am starting to learn Greek mythology and see the stories and gods and goddesses as something to understand,maybe learn from and to glean lessons from for myself and to teach others. But thats it for me, I don't see it that the gods have reveled themselves to us, meaning humanity, in the past or that we have somehow learned their stories.

Comment

I think the gods are probably big enough to be whatever we need them to be. The only beings that seem to care what they are or what we think they are our ourselves
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X