Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diet and Spiritual Practice

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    I am constantly amazed by the applications of a carrot, or a mushroom, of flour and sugar. I think what we can do with simple ingredients is absolutely amazing and wondrous. (snip) I give thanks every day for what I do and the food I get to eat. I celebrate food.

(snip) I see food all foods as a gift. As a fruit of labor. I give thanks for it and I consume it.
    This. This is, I think at the heart of "why the food you put in your mortal mouth would matter in the scheme of gods and worship"--Not because gods care what you eat, but because what we eat and how we prepare them, how we farm them, how we kill them, and the reasons that we choose to do so (what we value, what we worship, where we live) are a testament to our human-ness. Some religions tell you what to eat or not to eat because they think those things make you less human and more godly/holy, because the root of their beliefs is that we should be ashamed of our humanness...other religions invite you to celebrate that you *can* eat (that the hunt was good, that the harvest was fruitful) because they celebrate our humanness--they celebrate the very act of living. (I prefer the latter)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

A lot of diverse responses!

Kalynraye, I totally agree that food is a form of art. I work in a high pace Sushi restaurant as a (less than) part time chef and I think the form of rolling the maki (sushi rolls) and the process of properly forming the nigiri rice (fish/food over rice) is a beautiful process because of how specific it is creating the proper roll, the proper nigiri, and the way the chefs cut the fish is a special practice. Mind you, in Japan it takes 7-10 years before apprentice Sushi chefs are even allowed to touch fish, so I am (somewhat) privalaged that I am learning the art at the pace I am (I do live in America and work at a Sushi belt/train so the quality is less than amazing and the speed at which we have to roll and press does not make for very attractive plates, but you have to start somewhere!).

If I knew where exactly the meat came from and how it was slaughtered I would have less of a problem with eating it, or if I knew how to hunt, but I have always felt bad about eating something that was killed. I am also very fond of Shaolin and Wudang Warrior Monks who are vegan, practice kung fu 6 hours a day, farm, practice qigong, and meditate and are some of the most fit and athletic people in the world. The Monk-Warrior ideal is always something I have appreciated and it tethers martial arts, food, and spiritual practice into a congruent whole.

Comment

I wouldn't say it is a religious connection, but I have a more respectful relationship withmy food now. I have a rule that my food must be attractively presented and no matter what I am eating, even if it's a snack, it should be served with either a piece of fruit, or a portion of veg or seaweed. I even add carrots chopped into little flower shapes to instant noodles!

I try to be gentle with my food while preparing it too. If I am pouring something from a pan, I tilt the bowl so I can pour the food gently.

After years of having a very negative relationship with food, to the point that at times I saw every mouthful as something I should be ashamed of, putting a little bit of effort and creativity into the creation of a dish, and treating my food with respect, is very healing for me. I'm a lousy cook, but I definitely add a little dash of love to whatever I'm preparing.

When I eat too, I try to be mindful and enjoy the moment. From the appearance of the food right through to how it feels to get that signal that my hunger is satisfied, I fully absorb the experience, and while I don't openly say a prayer or anything, I do give thanks for my food inwardly.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Kind of? Part of my spiritual path and devotion is self-improvement, and eating better is a part of it. Granted, I don't always adhere to this as strictly as I should, but I try. I don't eat or abstain from anything in particular for spiritual reasons, but I know that if I ate well and stuck to my calorie count, I'm furthering my path.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
            A lot of diverse responses!

Kalynraye, I totally agree that food is a form of art. I work in a high pace Sushi restaurant as a (less than) part time chef ...and so I am (somewhat) privalaged that I am learning the art at the pace I am (I do live in America and work at a Sushi belt/train so the quality is less than amazing and the speed at which we have to roll and press does not make for very attractive plates, but you have to start somewhere!).

If I knew where exactly the meat came from and how it was slaughtered I would have less of a problem with eating it, or if I knew how to hunt, but I have always felt bad about eating something that was killed.
            Being a Sushi Chef is a very difficult thing and takes tons of training. That's awesome that you are getting experience. Take it and hold it dear, also if you have a guy that ALWAYS makes the rice watch him. Every Sushi Chef makes their rice differently and it is a vital part of their training.

As for wanting to know how your meat is slaughtered you can know that. There are tons of farms that go to farmers markets and sell there animals that they have personally humanely slaughtered. Its a huge movement that lots of restaurants are going to. Look into it.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

It is a process, but the main 'rice maker' is just the kitchen staff who fries the the calimari and gyoza, does the dishes, and takes a lot of drugs. The 'Art' seems to be missing at this restaurant quite a bit because it's more about the money than the layout, but I have picked up a few gems from my Japanese manager.

I just found a website that deals humanely slaughtered meat to a nearby market and other locations in the Northwest.

Comment

First of all I have no religious restrictions on what I eat. I do however believe strongly that waste is a disrespect to the plant/ animal/ yeast that went into the food. I have compost for any vegetable scraps the dogs can't have and all non-bone meat scraps go to the dogs. We live in a very low waste household and usually only need to take the bin out when the cooked bones start to smell - We've gone more than 6 weeks before without needing to take the bin down (we usually put the bones in with the green waste).

We also try and feed our friends once ever month or so, inviting them to a meal, as part of my religious beliefs about charity and community. Many of my friends have a harder time of it than I do and I know it.

I'm lucky in many ways living within 1 hour's drive or so of 3 (yup 3) Abattoirs and much farmland. I avoid any meat slaughtered in 1 of the three. So I usually know where all my food is coming from. Hunting isn't really an option here in NSW for people like me - no way I can afford a gun safe, gun license ect. all to expensive. But I do like game meats when I can get them. (venison mmmmm.) rabbits make great stews too

I also can't be a vegetarian for medical reasons, beyond this - I had to try when my sister refused to eat with us when she became a vegetarian. For whatever reason I burn through Iron - and I can't process it properly if it doesn't come from red meat (something or another about missing an enzyme - never really understood it tbh) I ended up being severely anemic within 2 weeks of being put onto that diet. they tried Iron supplements but that just changed the colour of my no 2s.

Comment

Originally posted by THANK... View Post
                  It is a process, but the main 'rice maker' is just the kitchen staff who fries the the calimari and gyoza, does the dishes, and takes a lot of drugs. The 'Art' seems to be missing at this restaurant quite a bit because it's more about the money than the layout, but I have picked up a few gems from my Japanese manager.
                  That's actually more authentically Japanese than you think. There's a massive difference between a trained sushi chef and the staff working in a kaitenzushi chain in Japan. In fact, a while ago I read an article about how the traditional sushi chef is a dying tradition because young Japanese aren't interested in training for so many years for, in their eyes, a boring trade.

The main way your place of work will differ from a Japanese sushi chain is the menu. But you probsbly already know that. In the west we eat rolls, but these are much rarer in Japan. The avacado roll, Californian roll, or anything with the rice on the outside, are not generally seen in Japan. We put cheese, mayo and crabsticks in our sushi too. It's always fun when we take newly arrived Japanese group members to try English sushi for the first time.

Back on topic now, although maybe more about cooking than the food itself;

I've recently caught the cooking bug. I've hung a witch on a broomstick in the kitchen, like they do in parts of Europe, as a charm to bless our meals. I've also blessed our big double handled wok. I love that wok so much that I keep it out on the hob all the time. It looks nice there and it makes me happy to see it every time I go into the kitchen. Definitely a fitting cauldron for this budding new kitchen witch!
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                  X