Fight breaks out among anti-violence activists in New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fight breaks out among anti-violence activists in New Jersey

There is a difference between the phrases "a reduction in violence" and ""no violence."

As soon as Europeans stopped going to war with each other after WWII there was a massive decrease in world-wide violence. Add to that the end of the imperial erra...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

fair enough. I suppose part of my belief that more overall violence might be happening is my innate suspicion of anything that relies on government stats. Governments have a vested interest in downplaying the bad

Also I have a feeling that 'interesting times' are ahead as many govs. seem to be edging to more restrictive controls over their citizens. And another financial crisis is predicted in the next 12 months and... and. geez I gotta stop reading the news. they only publish the bad don't they. :/

Comment

And the oil is still falling,and even if that seems a good thing,it will pull the economy down with it...Not to forget China,taking a nose dive as well...
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Marradin View Post
          fair enough. I suppose part of my belief that more overall violence might be happening is my innate suspicion of anything that relies on government stats. Governments have a vested interest in downplaying the bad
          Suspicion of the gooberment is a good trait, but suspicion requires evidence to be more than suspicion.

Consider, even without statistics, but philosophically - the mere fact that in, say, for example, the U.S., rape is presently treated as a real crime, rather than "boys will be boys" (as it was in the past) means that prosecutions - and, therefore, incarcerations - have gone up, bringing the number of actual occurrences down - but certainly not eliminating them.

The entire category of crimes that are "violence against women" began to decline in number as soon a women attained the right to vote, for some odd reason...

Likewise, civil rights advances have made violence against minorities in the US unacceptable, whereas once they were acceptable, and even, sometimes, considered laudable.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

EDIT: I have changed my mind and chosen not to respond to your post at all.

You can't really compare the peacefulness of the world based on a decade. Wars can last longer. Look over the century, two centuries, twenty centuries, we are more peaceful than we have been in the past.
            Last edited by Briton; 12 Jan 2016, 10:23.
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Crime actually peaked in the US (including violent crime) in the 1990s. We've, statistically speaking, been at some of the lowest rates of crime seen in over 40 years.

Extra sauce.
              Extra extra sauce. Extra extra extra sauce. (every year a few of these articles come out because its been the trend for a while now)

Crime statistic reporting systems are markedly improved.

The problem is the news. And that most people don't understand what statistics actuall mean.

When it comes to global violence though, yeah...we are in a 10 year increase. And TBH, I think it will continue in at least undeveloped and developing countries (for historical precedent of the climate-conflict connection, look at the little ice age). Although, a 10 year trend is a statistical drop in the bucket for global violence, as is the 2015 urban homicide increase in the US, neither of which is enough data to indicate a reversal of the current trends.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X