reading/discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reading/discussion

A while there was a lovely thread where we posted verses from the eddas etc and the commented on them.
    I am on my phone so am not able to search for it, and I assume it was finishes off.

So how about starting something similar again?
    We cannot grow and develop if we don't challenge what we know by sharing

Re: reading/discussion

That's a fabulous idea.

The old one was abouut the Voluspa and we did finish it off. I think the Havamal was done many years ago but we could start again.

Or maybe look at some of the other lays and poems? Anyone got a burning need for a partucular topic?

Also... that reminds me I'm behind on the rune of thd month thread. I shall get onto that tomorrow after work (at work right now and no PF tonight as going to see Star Wars with hubby )

Comment

Could we include some Anglo-Saxon poetry too?
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        Could we include some Anglo-Saxon poetry too?
        Second that.
        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
        But that day you know I left my money
        And I thought of you only
        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I think that would be a great idea. Beyond Beowulf my Anglo Saxon poetry knowledge is like my hair... Non existent

Comment

I'll chip in with some examples... how would you like to do this part of the discussion?

Comment

Same format as before?
              Start a thread for the first topic?
              Then we discuss it verse by verse?
              I'm on late rotation in the clinic this week so will only have limited web time.

Comment

Maybe it would be interesting to bring more than one translation of the poem. Sometimes you can find different meanings doing that.

Comment

That is a great Idea. From studying history I have found that even seemingly small differences in translations can make a Huge underling difference to the meaning of a passage

Comment

Sounds like a plan, people!

Who wants to head this up and be responsible for posting the verse up each week/fortnight/whenever?

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      Sounds like a plan, people!

Who wants to head this up and be responsible for posting the verse up each week/fortnight/whenever?
                      I'm no help on Icelandic literature, but I'm happy to do an Anglo-Saxon thread.

Comment

It would be awesome! I don't know much about Anglo-Saxon poetry, but I'd be happy to join the discussion.

Comment

Nothing wrong with an Anglo-Saxon lit thread. And there's no hidden PF rules that say that we can't have two discussion threads going at once

Comment

I think a verse a week is good, means we can go through lengthy works in a reasonable time.

If everyone uses this thread for listing their choices then we can do the analysis in individual threads ��
                            I have not got the time to start this week , so if someone else wants to go ��

Comment

"The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

Working...
                              X