Does The Media Have A Negative Effect On People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does The Media Have A Negative Effect On People

This is a good debate to talk about. Does the media have a negative effect on people? In my opinion No. I don't think television doesn't have any negative effect on people whatsoever. Yes there are sex and violence on TV. There are also educational shows on TV. And people are benefitting these types of shows. It helps people to learn on TV. My mother always tells me that TV will rot your brain. But that's not true. What's your opinion on this topic?

Re: Does The Media Have A Negative Effect On People

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    This is a good debate to talk about. Does the media have a negative effect on people? In my opinion No. I don't think television doesn't have any negative effect on people whatsoever. Yes there are sex and violence on TV. There are also educational shows on TV. And people are benefitting these types of shows. It helps people to learn on TV. My mother always tells me that TV will rot your brain. But that's not true. What's your opinion on this topic?
    Okay, you have stated your opinion. Please support it with facts. This is how a debate works.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I think a true and proper media wouldnt be an issue. The problem is how much the owner's person veiws and interests end up coloring the media and journalist's representations and skewing of facts. I generaly try to read the same story from 2 or 3 different sources so I can figure out what the facts really are. An efective media would be giving us the facts and then the commentry, not as too often happens thes days, the facts and commentry interspersed so as to confuse the reader as t o which is which

Comment

I don't have a problem with entertainment media--it's news media that I think is toxic. In American, there is a very us vs them attitude when it comes to news coverage (look at CNN vs Fox). Every media outlet feeds on fear, rage, and sorrow. There have been a few pieces done about it. We latch onto buzzwords that give a strong emotional response--bomb, murder, killed, sex, terrorist, tragedy, disaster, danger. During any national tragedy, you can expect to see weeks, possibly months, of coverage. Long after there has been anything real to report, they'll interview relatives of victims, relations of the perpetrators. This doesn't give you anything new--it just renews those strong feelings.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Lol. I don't watch the evening news. Ever. I watch the morning news to get some weather and that's about it. No thanks. I've actually gotten my news on reddit of all places. Or other websites.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It makes you wonder, when will we have a global news outlet that represents the news and whose papers and websites contain no opinion pieces to spout a party line or encourage a certain ideology? Surely it must be possible to provide all sides of a story, even if nobody (major) is doing it now? Rather than just quoting reactionary politicians and declaring them right wing fools or visionaries, find out if their position is tenable or even constitutionally viable, regardless of individual ideas of right and wrong. Things like that. Let people make up their own minds.

Will we ever have a major news outlet that does so, or are they doomed to YouTube insignificance?
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
              Okay, you have stated your opinion. Please support it with facts. This is how a debate works.
              Ok. Here: http://www.uthmag.com/media-influence-on-youth/

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                .. Will we ever have a major news outlet that does so, or are they doomed to YouTube insignificance?
                Personally I do not think so. Figure printing, broadcasting, etc all have cost that has to be covered by someone. Those who are providing the cost will demand a degree of influence upon what their money is going towards and how it is used. Doesn't matter if it be public funded, private funded or government funded it will still be subject to some influence which will influence what and how things are presented / covered.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                  This states the positives and negatives of media on young people, not that it isn't negative.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Sorry about that. Here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/posit...the-media.html

Comment

I think it does have a negative effect if you are brought and conditioned to listen without questioning what is being taught. If you are naturally rebellious or have always thought and acted for yourself, I don't think media has as much of an effect on you unless you want it to. I don't watch any type of news or current events, as Elliott Hulse says (a YouTube Fitness vlogger) you are always being brainwashed, so choose what you want to brainwash yourself with. I choose to listen to music, watch martial arts and fitness videos and entertainment shows to relax so I am not bogged down by commercial advertisements or political ideologies I have no care for. I get enough brainwashing at work because I am expected to be a certain way. I only listen and act accordingly because, at least for now, it pays my bills and affords me luxuries I wouldn't have without monetary earnings.

Comment

Anyone who practices critical thought processes isn't affected by media or, like me, has turned it off in their life and get news through other sources.
                        If you believe the news (regardless of its source) you are accepting an editorial as fact. Sensationalism has been used as "news" for long enough that most people are unaware.
                        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                        X