Paw pad issues with my cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paw pad issues with my cat

So, against my better judgement-to shut my little idiot up, we got my cat a toy dog dog harness and a larger length lead to let my cat roam around out back because he got used to being able to go outside in an enclosed area when we were living in Florida as the back pool area was completely netted in including the roof. Well, since being back home in Ohio he's been yelling and screaming and I finally gave in a while back to letting him out.....a little while back one of the times letting him out, somehow he ended up getting a massive cut on one of his paws. My guess is he was playing on the fire pit grating and cut it on some metal but I have no for sure answer. I only noticed it because I saw him limping and holding that paw close to his body.

Since then, his paw has swollen, and we can't quite get it to heal because he kept getting litter in it. Unfortunately I don't have the money to get him to an actual vet, but we currently have a special pet antibiotic ointment specifically for stuff like this, we've wrapped it up with a gauze pad, wrapped the gauze pad with sports tape, put a baby sock over that, taped the baby sock so it won't just fall off, and put a paper plate cone of shame on him so he won't be able to just tear it off. I'm going to be making sure either myself or the ex husband change the gauze pad at least 2-3 times a day so it doesn't just fester under there or end up sticking to the gauze pad itself and having to keep ripping it all off instead of healing. I've made sure that the sports and medical tape aren't too tight as to cut off blood flow, but just enough to make sure it won't come loose.

I wish there was more I could do for him, but without the money to take him to a vet and find out for sure, I feel like that's all they'd really do for him anyways. Not asking for a "hey, let's donate to get her cat to a vet" type deal, but more hoping anyone has any better ideas, suggestions, or experience that they've dealt with something like this before.

Side note: I am a horrible person for laughing at the way he tries to shake the whole thing off since he can't bite it off. I almost want to take a video, but he might try to kill me in my sleep, or go back to tripping me as I go down stairs like he used to do as a kitten trying to end my life.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Re: Paw pad issues with my cat

There might be a vet in your area that will work with you if you can't afford normal vet fees. Try googling "low income vet" in your area?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

If it's swollen then it's probably abcessed and bandaging will just make it worse. If it's abcessed he'll need antibiotics and pain relief, which you can only get from the vet. You need to call around and see if you can find a vet that will do an account for you.

Comment

That's what I was super afraid of :/

We're going to have to look around. Hopefully the ex starts getting his housing allowance stuff from his GI bill soon so we can do that
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

There is vet insurance,but no idea of the cost. Very sorry to hear of your Cats pain and suffering. I did have a dog that tore a pad chasing a cat against being held back by my leash. Do not remember if she had to see a vet. That was in California BTW.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
          X