Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: African-Americans Are Boycotting The Oscars

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: African-Americans Are Boycotting The Oscars

Thing is,it is Hollywood,can you really expect a bunch of actors to have the ability to choose,now the peoples choice awards are different.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Like I said before this is another temper tantrum just to change the world.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

The problem really isn't the Oscars. Blacks have actually won more than their share of Oscars compared to their percentage of the population. However, the only other minority group that is represented is Latinos. An Asian American has never won an Oscar. The Latinos are vastly underrepresented. Whites make up well over 80% of the Oscar wins.

However, this has more to do than Hollywood whitewashing a lot of roles and movies. The problem is not the Oscars but Hollywood in general. It is interesting to see that whenever a minority group tries to get an equal share of something they are quickly lambasted, though.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Imagine now, if every nomination had gone to an Afro-American. I reckon we would be hearing quite a lot of protest then.

The biggest problem is why anyone believes that awards such as the Oscars are going to be inherently fair. They're not. I thought this was an interesting view: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ge...rs-1201682504/
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Consider the movie American Snipe about Chris Kyle for a moment. There are a lot of people upset at how it was treated given the influence and presence it had. Yet people are not boycotting the Oscar's or other awards programs because it wasn't received well for awards.
    Popular and good are not the same thing when it comes to movie. That movie was absolutely terrible.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
    The problem really isn't the Oscars. Blacks have actually won more than their share of Oscars compared to their percentage of the population. However, the only other minority group that is represented is Latinos. An Asian American has never won an Oscar. The Latinos are vastly underrepresented. Whites make up well over 80% of the Oscar wins.

However, this has more to do than Hollywood whitewashing a lot of roles and movies. The problem is not the Oscars but Hollywood in general. It is interesting to see that whenever a minority group tries to get an equal share of something they are quickly lambasted, though.
    If the Latinos and Asian-Americans never received an Oscar then they should be the ones to boycott, not the blacks.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Popular and good are not the same thing when it comes to movie. That movie was absolutely terrible.
    I don't disagree. Didn't think it was that great of a movie myself and it's success was do to hype more than actual script and content. However, I think that is part of the issue, one person thinks it worthy of praise and recognition while another does not. The one who does not is then put on the defensive because they chose something else. Here we have an issue of black actors / directors / producers think they should have been honored or nominated though whomever did the nominating doesn't think so.

Because they were not chosen or nominated it has to be racial no other option can be considered.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

This whole protest is so stupid and pointless. Not every race and minority will get pick by the Oscars. They should really stop whining and get over it.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    This whole protest is so stupid and pointless. Not every race and minority will get pick by the Oscars. They should really stop whining and get over it.
    You have a tendency to say the same thing over and over.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

The African-Americans Hollywood stars have their fair share of the Oscars already. So I don't see the point of protesting against the Oscars for lack of multi-cultural reasons.