This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knitting

I've been making scarves to hand out to the gals at my two jobs as gifts. But I'm handing them out now as it's sorta cold now. I'm having fun!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Re: Sewing

I got a sewing machine earlier this year to try to start sewing. The first project that I completed by myself (in school I had friends sew my projects for me...LOL!) was a big purse. Pretty simple purse. I did mess up on the handles and a few other little things but I am quit proud of it still! I even made a small bag to match it. :^^:
      sigpic

Comment

Just started knitting. Learned the basic garter stitch and am attempting to make a scarf. First problem I came across is adding stitches without knowing. How does one alleviate this problem?

Comment

I actually crochet instead of knit. I've used it to create scarves and altar cloths. My current use for it is to make bags for my divination items and even small and durable representations of the Iluma for them. :3 It can be really cute sometimes! And in the future, amigurumi.

Comment

I only know the basics of knitting, so I have made sone scarfs and easy blankets. At the moment I am trying to learn knitting more challinging stuff such as sweaters. If anyone have any god pages to recomend for me I would be really thankful

Comment

Re: Knitting & Crochet (and other yarn-y crafts)

Two things...one, let me model my neck warmer (it tucks right into my coat, and no taily thing to come undone in the cold or get caught in the zipper):

150221-222042.jpg

Tunisian full stitch (Tunisian Crochet) in Wool-ease Thick and Quick "Tiger" (its black with black and white sections) (and cro'd with my great-grandma's giant wooden hook)

And two...I just learned how to do the star stitch (or Marguerite stitch), thanks to youtube and my new fave crochet channel...:

I'm going for this one next...but sadly, there is no helpful youtube tutorial.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I saw a tutorial for that tunisian stitch. There's this awesome show on Create called Knitting Daily. A very modern take on knitting and crocheting.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Thalassa, your scarf is gorgeous! And I'll need to check out that star/Marguerite stitch video--I'd tried it before but kept slanting my stars... ^_^;

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Two things...one, let me model my neck warmer (it tucks right into my coat, and no taily thing to come undone in the cold or get caught in the zipper):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3836[/ATTACH]

Tunisian full stitch (Tunisian Crochet) in Wool-ease Thick and Quick "Tiger" (its black with black and white sections) (and cro'd with my great-grandma's giant wooden hook)

And two...I just learned how to do the star stitch (or Marguerite stitch), thanks to youtube and my new fave crochet channel...:

I'm going for this one next...but sadly, there is no helpful youtube tutorial.
                    The neck warmer is beautiful, and thanks for the YouTube video

Comment

I have more clothes that I've made than clothes I've bought. Mostly because I don't have to keep replacing the handmade ones when they wear out. They last soooo much longer!

Comment

My mum is very handy with a needle and thread. I'm so proud of her. It's my birthday today and she gave me my presents last night so I could bring them to work with me. As many of you know, my mum has been long-term unemployed ever since the company she worked for went backrupt 5 years ago. Money has been tight for all of us as a result, as my sister and I have been helping her financially. As she has so little money, she makes us presents with fabric she has collected over the years. She made me some lovely bows for my hair, and a really pretty bag. The thought and effort she put into these items is worth so much more than if she'd bought them. I'm so pleased with my unique items. I must share some photos when I get a chance.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Please do! I love seeing pictures of things people made!

Comment

Guys! I bought all this knitting stuff and after days, I still can't even tie on.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                              Guys! I bought all this knitting stuff and after days, I still can't even tie on.

lol!!

I can't knit either.

Do you crochet?

If not, I recommend getting a hook. Start there, its way easier...especially if you start with Tunisian crochet! (Interestingly, during the Victorian era, it was called tricot ecossais, which was French for "Scottish knitting". Unofficially, it was called "the idiot stitch")
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

The thing about casting on in knitting is that there are several methods. I never got the hang of casting from my hand to the needle - though some people swear by it. So I just tie a slip knot, put that onto the one needle, then knit into it - but instead of pulling the stitch onto the right hand needle, I just slip it onto the left hand one, which increases the number of stitches from one to two (and so on.)
                                The only problem with this method - and it's something I have never seen mentioned in a knitting book or pattern, is that the cast on edge looks a bit loopy. The solution is very simply, the first row (regardless whether it's ribbed or not) must be knitted into the back of each stitch. You end up with a lovely edge then.
                                The next row is the second row of the rib pattern though.
                                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                                X