X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the fiber arts belongs to us

Anyone into sewing/dressmaking?
    Im in the process of making a "wedding dress" for my cousin's halloween outfit, i shall post progress as its my first outfit EVER

I can only remember one of the sites that was linked which was burdastyle.com Its got some cool free patterns.

Also, youtube has some OK videos for beginners.

Re: Sewing

*waves* I am. Although it takes me forever to finish anything. I'm currently working on a blouse from the Burda magazine. I've done the really boring tracing out of the pattern and adding seam allowances. Now I'm cutting out the peices from some cheap old sheeting in order to make a muslin as I want it to fit really well.

I'm on BurdaStyle under my old screen name of Impqueen.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Me too....I started sewing when I was 11 so that would be........36 years.....yeowch.....I'm old! I made my daughter's prom dress earlier this spring, a poodle skirt for a play she was in, I'm in the middle of a mini-skirt for her, and a dress for me.
      I love my sewing machine!

Comment

I sew...but mainly stuff for the kiddies or historical stuff.

And quilting...
        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I think this thread needs pictures... I'll find a couple of things I'm most proud of when I get home from work this evening.

Comment

Only my mom is into this, she's a pro tailor.

Comment

Knitting & Crochet (and other yarn-y crafts)

So what are you knitting? What's the piece of knitting you're most proud of? Got a Ravelry account you want to be friends on? Got any funny knitting stories?

My Rav name is my real life name, or a nickname version of it so I don't post it in open forum, PM me if you want to be friended

I'm knitting a cabled hat (my first cables - yay) for a very nice man not so far from here and also a tank top.

Comment

I used to love sewing, and beading and embroidery and crochet and knitting... and then I started to lose my eyesight. :'( Can't even thread a needle now...
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg1514#msg1514 date=1286863988]
                  I think this thread needs pictures... [/quote]
                  So true.

Thalassa, do you machine quilt or hand quilt? I'm old school so I hand quilt. I takes a lot longer, but I love doing it.

Comment

I can sew my own clothes, though I mainly sew for medieval reenactment.
                    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=177.msg1579#msg1579 date=1286873816]
                      I used to love sewing, and beading and embroidery and crochet and knitting... and then I started to lose my eyesight. :'( Can't even thread a needle now...
                      [/quote]That sucks TP *hugs*

Comment

Some stuff wot I sewed...

Slinky red skirt. Incredibly simple skirt in satin which frayed like anything. Wish I'd finished the seams better.

Corset which isn't bad for a first try though there are things I'd change if I did it again. Not particularly difficult. If you can sew in a straight line and do a smooth curve you can make a corset.

Edited to add... F it can't figure out images. Back later to try again!
                        Edited again to add the images. Sorry I can't figure out how to change the size! I'm such a n00b...

Comment

^^^
                          Nice stuff!

I do a lot of stuff. I run out of time sometimes because while I'm in school, my sewing and designing takes a bit of a back seat, but I'm trying to manage my time better so I have more time for it (and my music, and my writing), especially if I actually end up finding a job...I don't want to give all that stuff up!
                          I make a lot of my own clothes. Sometimes I use patterns, sometimes I use stuff I find on the net, sometimes I'll draft a pattern from scratch. I'm still improving my drafting skills and working with proportions, but the more I do it the better I get. I'm pretty good at design too, and I'd love to have my own label some day. I also do reconstructions, if I have something that I love the fabric of but it doesn't really fit or the piece is super outdated.
                          I'll post some pics later.

Comment

I'm glad I posted my pics before you posted Danie, I think I'd have felt too embarrassed to show my amateurish attempts, you sound like a pro! :-[

Comment

Your stuff doesn't look amateurish at all! Your lines are really good and your corset looks AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                              X