This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knitting

^ very nice, I love the multi-coloured look!
    mine looked much smaller and tighter, so as soon as I can find that handy hook pouch with all my other hooks, I will give it a try again.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

That is fantastic!!

I'm still on vay-cay, and most of my crochet stuff is back home, and I made this "no new crafting stuff for new projects until the stash is used up" pact with myself (I can only buy something new if it is to finish an already existing, in progress project)...so I haven't been able to give it a try yet. I proly could if I frogged my current project (just ran out of yarn here at the hotel) and my other yarn is too fat--it requires a P sized hook (11.5 mm).
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Absolutely lovely- I've n ever seen that stitch before.

Seeing old knitting needles - going back to the 1930's is quite an education - because they were so incredibly fine. People seemed happy to work with 2 and 3 ply (not sure if it has a different name in the US but in the UK it is now only used for baby-wear or machine knitting). I have some that belonged to Mr Penry's grandmother.... made in shiny steel, they are bent out of shape with use, but i still hang on to them and have very occasionally used them. They were a size 12 (again I don't know the modern sizes, but they are very very fine and narrow.)
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          That is fantastic!!

I'm still on vay-cay, and most of my crochet stuff is back home, and I made this "no new crafting stuff for new projects until the stash is used up" pact with myself (I can only buy something new if it is to finish an already existing, in progress project)...so I haven't been able to give it a try yet. I proly could if I frogged my current project (just ran out of yarn here at the hotel) and my other yarn is too fat--it requires a P sized hook (11.5 mm).
          Hubby put his foot down, I'm not allowed to buy anymore yarn until I use some of what I have. So I've been stitchin like mad lol.

I'm not sure how this is going to work for a scarf with bulky yarn, the fabric that comes from the stitch is VERY dense, and the stuff I'm using is worsted weight.

It WOULD however make an AMAZING bag if ya got some scrap fabric laying about.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          Absolutely lovely- I've n ever seen that stitch before.

Seeing old knitting needles - going back to the 1930's is quite an education - because they were so incredibly fine. People seemed happy to work with 2 and 3 ply (not sure if it has a different name in the US but in the UK it is now only used for baby-wear or machine knitting). I have some that belonged to Mr Penry's grandmother.... made in shiny steel, they are bent out of shape with use, but i still hang on to them and have very occasionally used them. They were a size 12 (again I don't know the modern sizes, but they are very very fine and narrow.)
          I'll have to look into the new sizing, but 2 ply is now fingering or lace weight, and 3 ply is now stocking weight.

Comment

Something I forgot to mention about the crocodile stitch. The math used in the video did not work for me. I had to rework the pattern.

Chain on a multitude of 7, (I have 42 for the length I needed) then chain an additional 4. In the 4th Chain, dc skip 2 ch, dc, skip 2 ch, dc twice in same ch. repeat until end, should have 2 dc in the last ch. Ch 1 then dc5 down along the outer leg, ch, then turn work, then dc5 up the inner leg, skip the single dc in the next twin post, dc 5 down, then dc5 up. repeat to end.

The THIRD "Row". When you finish the last of the dc 5, chain 3, then dc into the top of the last dc so you now have another double post.

If I confused you let me know. Maybe I'll do a video to show it. The videos out there really confused me till I sat down and ripped that third row four different times.

Comment

^I have read that on some blogs of people trying it out, regarding the video. There has been much mention of needing to figure it out on your own, and that its unclear how to proceed past the second row.

...somehow, I think this will be more difficult to figure out than the tunisian honeycomb stitch (which is one of my favorites)
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Someone in one of my rav groups posted a cardigan knitted in lace weight (not a lacy cardigan either). And my co-workers think I'm nuts knitting socks on 2.75mm needles with 4-ply.
                You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

interesting:Kandahar's Combat Knitters use yarn and needles as weapons of self-preservation
                  sigpic

Comment

I still can't knit well....I've just never been great at it and I've never been able to get past the purl stitch (for some reason I didn't learn the knit stitch)

I love crochet though! I'm on another kick lately....I have the shrug I've been picking at all winter (I mostly crochet on the subway, plane and at home watching TV so it's not a full time deal) but I've also started a rug from old tee shirts, made some dish cloths and I'll shred up some netting for pot scrubbers (I'm sick of paying for that stuff and then throwing it out! they're cheap enough but I hate the idea of throwing stuff out that I can have reusable versions of...it's just not very "green")

Comment

Knitting design can be an income, knitting itself not so much. A few people can make money at it by being test knitters, but that's about it.

There are plenty of male knitters out there, granted not as many male as female knitters, but they are out there. One of the most regular posters in one of my Ravelry groups is a male soldier. Why give a shit what anyone else thinks anyway?

Comment

One of my great (and unfulfilled ambitions) was to knit a 'wedding ring' shawl in 1 ply shetland wool.... it looks like a cobweb and despite being 6 feet square it can be pulled through a wedding ring (hence the name).

In the past I knitted a cloak in something called Emba Wool from Shetland....incredibly heavy and hard, it was completely wind and waterproof when knitted up. I still have it and not even the moths will tackle it! Amazing to wear out in rain and snow - warm and dry! (But as I said, very heavy!)

I once knitted Mr Penry a spectacular Aran jumper on a circular needle, just kept knitting with the right side facing. It had 144 row repeat.... and I had to set them all out so that each panel kept its place. It was absolutely beautiful and he still has it!

One thing that does look beautiful on even the plainest jumper is if you cable the welts/bands (ribbed cuffs, neckband etc.) Very effective - when I had a knitting machine I didn't have a ribber, so I would hand knit the ribbed parts first (complete with cabling) and then hang the loops onto the machine needles. Again, very effective and people used to wonder how it could be done on a knitting machine!

Comment

The jumper and cloak sound great - any chance of pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                            The jumper and cloak sound great - any chance of pics?
                            Shall do my best.... I'm not very good at organising pics so bear with me!

Comment

Re: Sewing

St. Patrick's Day vest for my daughter.

Comment

Re: Sewing

Cute! Very festive too

Comment

Working...
                                X