Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: All the fiber arts belongs to us

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Re: Sewing

My mum is very handy with a needle and thread. I'm so proud of her. It's my birthday today and she gave me my presents last night so I could bring them to work with me. As many of you know, my mum has been long-term unemployed ever since the company she worked for went backrupt 5 years ago. Money has been tight for all of us as a result, as my sister and I have been helping her financially. As she has so little money, she makes us presents with fabric she has collected over the years. She made me some lovely bows for my hair, and a really pretty bag. The thought and effort she put into these items is worth so much more than if she'd bought them. I'm so pleased with my unique items. I must share some photos when I get a chance.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Re: Sewing

Please do! I love seeing pictures of things people made!

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

Re: Knitting

Guys! I bought all this knitting stuff and after days, I still can't even tie on.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Knitting

Quote Originally Posted by callmeclemens View Post
    Guys! I bought all this knitting stuff and after days, I still can't even tie on.

lol!!

I can't knit either.

Do you crochet?

If not, I recommend getting a hook. Start there, its way easier...especially if you start with Tunisian crochet! (Interestingly, during the Victorian era, it was called tricot ecossais, which was French for "Scottish knitting". Unofficially, it was called "the idiot stitch")
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Knitting & Crochet (and other yarn-y crafts)

The thing about casting on in knitting is that there are several methods. I never got the hang of casting from my hand to the needle - though some people swear by it. So I just tie a slip knot, put that onto the one needle, then knit into it - but instead of pulling the stitch onto the right hand needle, I just slip it onto the left hand one, which increases the number of stitches from one to two (and so on.)
    The only problem with this method - and it's something I have never seen mentioned in a knitting book or pattern, is that the cast on edge looks a bit loopy. The solution is very simply, the first row (regardless whether it's ribbed or not) must be knitted into the back of each stitch. You end up with a lovely edge then.
    The next row is the second row of the rib pattern though.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

Well, I'm going to keep trying.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by callmeclemens View Post
    Well, I'm going to keep trying.
    Honestly, it is worth it. Start with small squares, about ten stitches across. Try all plain first, then one row plain and one row purl. The advantage of ten stitches is that it is easy to see when you've lost or gained a stitch. And if you have any queries just let me know!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....