This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewing

This was my first attempt at quilting a few years ago. It's just a lap quilt.

I learned quite a bit from the errors I made.

Comment

Cute!

How hard is it to learn how to quilt? There are a lot of ladies out here who still do, and I'm starting to be interested in it from a frugality perspective.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=177.msg4260#msg4260 date=1287414726]
        How hard is it to learn how to quilt? There are a lot of ladies out here who still do, and I'm starting to be interested in it from a frugality perspective. [/quote]
        Well, technically I never really learned. I figured it was just sewing a bunch of blocks together and it couldn't be too hard. I just googled to find out what tools I'd need and started cutting. I used an old blanket as batting between the quilt blocks and the backing fabric. I cut the backing fabric to be 4 inches larger on each side so I could just fold it over to finish the edges. I use scraps of fabric from other sewing projects as well as fabric from old clothes. I also buy a lot of cheap remnants to use.

What you need to start is a self-healing mat, a rotary cutter and a quilting ruler. I now have a variety of different sizes of square and triangular templates, but they aren't necessary and they're pricey for being nothing more than hard plastic shapes. They just make the cutting of blocks a bit more precise.

Comment

[quote author=Storm link=topic=177.msg4347#msg4347 date=1287426564]
          Well, technically I never really learned. I figured it was just sewing a bunch of blocks together and it couldn't be too hard. I just googled to find out what tools I'd need and started cutting. I used an old blanket as batting between the quilt blocks and the backing fabric. I cut the backing fabric to be 4 inches larger on each side so I could just fold it over to finish the edges. I use scraps of fabric from other sewing projects as well as fabric from old clothes. I also buy a lot of cheap remnants to use.

What you need to start is a self-healing mat, a rotary cutter and a quilting ruler. I now have a variety of different sizes of square and triangular templates, but they aren't necessary and they're pricey for being nothing more than hard plastic shapes. They just make the cutting of blocks a bit more precise.
          [/quote]

This!!

I actually do almost all scrap quilts...from old clothes, the remnant bin at the craft store, corners of stuff I've sewn, etc.

I'm gonna grab some of my ongoing/completed projects and I'll take pics for you to see.

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Nice quilt storm I'm impressed your first try has triangles in it. I've done a little one but it's all rectangles - dead easy!
            You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

some of my quilt stuff thus far
              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I do small crazy quilt projects, like stockings and stuff. I should actually get going on making those this year, because I was going to make those and fill them with handmade chocolate truffles and things this year for gifts.

Comment

I couldn't begin to tell you why I started with triangles instead of squares. I have a tendancy to do things the hard way. Obviously I didn't know what I was doing because I forgot to put a border around the outside.

Thalassa, those are so nice! They look all snuggly!

Comment

Wow, nice. Ok, I really do need to get some basics figured out. The rectangular patterns, in particular, seem much more doable then some of the fancy stuff older ladies around here do. I've been feeling rather overwhelmed at the prospect of starting.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Lovely stuff Thalassa. So what exactly defines a quilt?

I thought it was patchwork with squishy stuff in the middle all sewn together. but then I'm probably not a purist :P

Why are there always 'purists' in any group? I get wanting to do something 'to the max' as it were, fully authentically, but to then want to define everyone outside of the group who isn't as hardcore as you? Maybe it's a basic human instinct...
                      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

According to Wikipedia: A quilt is a type of bedding composed of several layers generally combined using the technique of quilting.
                        And quilting is: a sewing method done to join two or more layers of material together to make a thicker padded material.

Therefore, regardless of whether we have had any instruction or formal training, we are quilters, Thalassa!

Comment

I knew it! If I set out to meet other pagans online I'd find other crafty people too! This is great! Where has this place been?!(j/k) Haha Sorry, I'm just excited.

Now, I think I shall trawl thru here and look at everyones awesome sewing. The husband just ordered me a new sewing machine, so hopefully I'll have some nice clothing up for everyone to see in the near future. Right now it's hats, hair clips, shoes clips, recovered bags, etc. If anyone here is interested I can make things custom for sale or trade. Thinking of making ceremonial feather fans for the witchily inclined. Oh dear Lady I have said a lot.
                          Here is my link btw: http://www.etsy.com/shop/themadhaberdashery

*goes off to peek at everyones stuff*

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
                          --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

[quote author=corvus_corvidae link=topic=177.msg4736#msg4736 date=1287491106]
                            I knew it! If I set out to meet other pagans online I'd find other crafty people too! This is great! Where has this place been?!(j/k) Haha Sorry, I'm just excited.

Now, I think I shall trawl thru here and look at everyones awesome sewing. The husband just ordered me a new sewing machine, so hopefully I'll have some nice clothing up for everyone to see in the near future. Right now it's hats, hair clips, shoes clips, recovered bags, etc. If anyone here is interested I can make things custom for sale or trade. Thinking of making ceremonial feather fans for the witchily inclined. Oh dear Lady I have said a lot.
                            Here is my link btw: http://www.etsy.com/shop/themadhaberdashery

*goes off to peek at everyones stuff*
                            [/quote]

I LOVE your stuff! One day when I have money I'll be buying one of your fascinators!

Comment

*blushes* Thanks
                              If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
                              --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

VERY nice, corvus! What kind of machine did the hubby order for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X