Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: All the fiber arts belongs to us

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Re: Sewing

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=177.msg2453#msg2453 date=1287036938]
    You should see the inside - seams are fraying like billy-o. Lol. I think I have enough of the fabric left to make another one, and do it properly this time, should it ever fall apart. I think I'll stick to wearing it at friends parties where no-one will object if it suddenly falls off!
    [/quote]

That fabric does fray a lot (I like to use it lots, and also use it as linings).....you just have to make sure that you zig zag the edges, or leave a TON of seam allowance.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

You could also do a french seam or flat fell seam (even though flat fell seams are conventionally used on jeans, I use them in most of our reenacting clothing and on ALL of the kids clothes, just for the strength factor).
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=177.msg2498#msg2498 date=1287055905]
    You could also do a french seam or flat fell seam (even though flat fell seams are conventionally used on jeans, I use them in most of our reenacting clothing and on ALL of the kids clothes, just for the strength factor).
    [/quote]

Oh yes, I second this! I use French seams lots when I use silk, because the silk satin I like to use frays quite a bit, and also it has a beautiful "finished" look to it.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Yup! I totally love the look...actually, I really like the look of flat felled seaming too--and you can use it decoratively (and it *is* really sturdy)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

I'm going to share something....please don't laugh too hard, though! I'm a total beginner. I took this stripped shirt, and added a skirt to make a dress:

Horizontal stripes are not the most attractive, but it turned out cute enough...I got it done just in time to wear to the LDS Women's Conference with my MIL and SIL : Planning on cutting the sleeves short and turning them into arm-warmers when I have time, as well as tweaking the neckline in some way.

And yes...that is my MIL's house.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

HEY!

Thats a good beginner effort!

And don't forget to save the kiddo's pants that they outgrow...you can make leg warmers from the legs, the top part of skirts from the tops, apron shirts and dresses from the legs and from the bottom halves of shirts and all sorts of stuff.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Heathen

Very funky Deseret

On the subect of seams - I zig zagged. I like binding seams but was in too much of a hurry with this skirt. The first time I wore it I went up the stairs at a party and as I got to the top noticed MrK, Si and Rick at the bottom all grinning up at me. Very flattering! Both the skirt and the attention. :-[
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Heathen

Re: Knitting

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=207.msg2246#msg2246 date=1287002453]
    I do knitting too, but not anything big. Just woolen stockings, mittens, beanies and such. I'm too impatient to do anything which isn't ready in one or two evenings, 'coz I get bored with the pattern/color etc. :P But knitting at the lectures is fun.
    [/quote]That's where chunky yarn comes in. ;D

The tank top I'm knitting is in DK and stockinette st and I'm soooo bored with it. It's good car journey knitting though.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Witchy Pagan

I always have a few things in my knitting bag, but prefer the winter months for knitting anything big.
    Right now there is a scarf I started last spring and a prayer shall.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

<---crochets

I do have a ravelry...its piratessa

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee